Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-07-2018, 06:43 PM   #226
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
The accusation that what has been the "free press" for decades, now according to Sarah Palin's children is now all fake, is utter bullshit, and Chumpy is your fat orange Cheerleader

And youse guys lap it up willingly
You may want to look up the terms "yellow journalism" "yellow press" and "muckraker" as applied to journalism. Fun fact Abraham Lincoln ordered the closure of newspapers, during the Civil War, for printing fake news.

It is an American tradition to attack the press and patriotic for a sitting president to close down media, who promote fake news.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 07:00 PM   #227
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

Especially if it's Very Fake News!

I hate to break it you Saul Alinsky, but the American People are on to you.

Last edited by Buckeye; 09-07-2018 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Message Clarity
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 07:39 PM   #228
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Nothing matters more than Kavanaugh getting confirmed and RBG’s EKG.

Long after McCain is forgotten, the Supremes will be ruling

So that fat guy is going to be part of your life till you close your eyes.

The future looks bright.........going to need shades!

Last edited by JustRalph; 09-07-2018 at 07:40 PM.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 07:46 PM   #229
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
You may want to look up the terms "yellow journalism" "yellow press" and "muckraker" as applied to journalism. Fun fact Abraham Lincoln ordered the closure of newspapers, during the Civil War, for printing fake news.

It is an American tradition to attack the press and patriotic for a sitting president to close down media, who promote fake news.
Oh, you are trying to use facts in OT?
Old 09-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #230
Thebart

Another non-starter argument. The Journal you refer to has no relationship to the Muslim Brotherhood. Unless, of course, your view is that anything Muslim is evil regardless.

Various commentators in the main stream cite the Journal which is peer reviewed as being a small publication in no more than 600 libraries worldwide.

Articles from the NY Post suffer from the same dubious relationship with truth and facts as Trump seems to have. Conflate a handfull of questionable assertions into one wild, headline grabbing, bullshit conspiracy theory and call it "breaking news."

There is no evidence the Huma ever worked for this publication.

The fact that she had relatives who did, proves nothing. Unless you are playing the "guilt by association" card. I subscribe to the more biblical proscription that it is wrong to blame children for the sins of their parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Huma's mom, sister and brother are editors of The Journal of Muslim Minority Affairs (started by her father to spread Muslim to non - Muslim countries)

https://heavy.com/news/2016/08/saleh...-saudi-arabia/

but I guess you can't pick your family or how they think.
Thebart is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 08:16 PM   #231
OntheRail

Quote:
The accusation that what has been the "free press" for decades, now according to Sarah Palin's children is now all fake, is utter bullshit, and Chumpy is your fat orange Cheerleader

And youse guys lap it up willingly
The shit in your head seems to be spilling out on your keyboard...again. Palin so it seems is only important to you. I can't recall anyone else mentioning her in years....but you.

The press as a whole has slipped way down the integrity scale in the past decade... from its butt licking of Obama to it anonymous op-ed hit pieces on Trump. They are more worried about their click thru revenue and ads per page income then anything else... most are not worth the paper they are printed on...or the bandwidth they consume.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:28 PM   #232
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
The shit in your head seems to be spilling out on your keyboard...again. Palin so it seems is only important to you. I can't recall anyone else mentioning her in years....but you.

The press as a whole has slipped way down the integrity scale in the past decade... from its butt licking of Obama to it anonymous op-ed hit pieces on Trump. They are more worried about their click thru revenue and ads per page income then anything else... most are not worth the paper they are printed on...or the bandwidth they consume.
Antagonizing remarks such as this cannot be tolerated here any longer....IMO.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #233
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Antagonizing remarks such as this cannot be tolerated here any longer....IMO.
I kind of agree with you here thaskalos.

If you want to argue about something, stick to the argument.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 09:06 PM   #234
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
When did I ever accuse Trump of saying that "the press is the enemy of the people"? I've NEVER said ANYTHING about any "enemies of the people"...I only talked about Trump's repeated references to the "fake news" that the press supposedly continuously releases. Is there one major news-source except Fox_News that Trump hasn't accused of spreading "Fake News"? Is that what I am supposed to believe? That only Fox-News is a "real" news source...while all the other major news-sources are FAKE? And I am supposed to believe that, because...TRUMP says so?
I never said that YOU accused Trump of saying that "the press is the enemy of the people." In your comment you said: Trump is making the insinuation that the free press is "fake," a blanket generalization which prompted the thoughts that I expressed in my first paragraph. I was simply asking a general question.

I did tell you where I thought you were wrong, in my second paragraph. You said: Yes...but Trump is making the insinuation that the free press is "fake"...while HE is "real". IMO...he who screams "fake" is often the fakest of all. There is that blanket generalization, again. I disagree that Trump is making any such "insinuation" about the free press as a whole. It's simply not true! The free press is not fake; however, a lot of what they report, apparently, is. Personally, I think they all share the same memo each morning...lots of parrots on those programs.

Unfortunately, most of the fake news reports, whether eventually corrected or not, are coming from the MSM networks. And, they report most of their Trump stuff with snarky attitudes, contorted faces and condescending laughter. Fox News has its share of mistakes, but I do not see the same snarky attitudes etc. against any of the Demo side of the aisle...not any of them, whether guests on the program or from afar. Fox's poll ratings as being the most fair and balanced of all of the networks have been achieved for a reason.
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2018, 12:32 AM   #235
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
The press covered up FDR's wheelchair.
They covered up JFK's cheating and drug use.
Don't the American people have the right to know that their potus is an out of control druggie? And that all that lover-dover Camelot stuff was a lie - the prez was dickie-duncan like a young Billy Clinton.

I'd say their has been a history of less than the truth.
You are correct. Previously before watergate, the presidents privacy was protected as far as personal illnesses and peccadilloes.

However as I told you many times, sever overstep by the government and presidents were exposed by the free press.

1-Pentagon papers and the Vietnamese war
2-Nixon and watergate
3-Bush Cheney's phony WMD

I asked this before. Name one alt right conspiracy theory that has turned out true

Last edited by hcap; 09-08-2018 at 12:35 AM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2018, 12:58 AM   #236
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebart View Post
Another non-starter argument. The Journal you refer to has no relationship to the Muslim Brotherhood. Unless, of course, your view is that anything Muslim is evil regardless.

Various commentators in the main stream cite the Journal which is peer reviewed as being a small publication in no more than 600 libraries worldwide.

Articles from the NY Post suffer from the same dubious relationship with truth and facts as Trump seems to have. Conflate a handfull of questionable assertions into one wild, headline grabbing, bullshit conspiracy theory and call it "breaking news."

There is no evidence the Huma ever worked for this publication.

The fact that she had relatives who did, proves nothing. Unless you are playing the "guilt by association" card. I subscribe to the more biblical proscription that it is wrong to blame children for the sins of their parents.
I didn't mention Muslim Brotherhood, you did. 0bama had people from this group visit him in the whitehouse all the time, so they must be freedom fighters or something.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2018, 01:13 AM   #237
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post

You are mixing up historical context.

The term was coined in the mid-1890s to characterize the sensational journalism that used some yellow ink in the circulation war between Joseph Pulitzer's New York World and William Randolph Hearst's New York Journal. The battle peaked from 1895 to about 1898, and historical usage often refers specifically to this period. Both papers were accused by critics of sensationalizing the news in order to drive up circulation, although the newspapers did serious reporting as well. An English magazine in 1898 noted, "All American journalism is not 'yellow', though all strictly 'up-to-date' yellow journalism is American!"[5]

There was no "sensational journalism" in the exposing the 3 examples I used

The term muckraker was used in the Progressive Era to characterize reform-minded American journalists who attacked established institutions and leaders as corrupt. They typically had large audiences in some popular magazines. In the US, the modern term is investigative journalism — it has different and more pejorative connotations in British English — and investigative journalists in the US today are often informally called 'muckrakers'.

The muckrakers played a highly visible role during the Progressive Era period, 1890s–1920s

Quote:
Fun fact Abraham Lincoln ordered the closure of newspapers, during the Civil War, for printing fake news.
The press is controlled in all wars. So what?

Get your facts straight. Now what about naming one alt right conspiracy theory that has turned out true?

Last edited by hcap; 09-08-2018 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:41 AM   #238
OntheRail

Quote:
You are mixing up historical context.

The term was coined in the mid-1890s to characterize the sensational journalism that used some yellow ink in the circulation war between Joseph Pulitzer's New York World and William Randolph Hearst's New York Journal. The battle peaked from 1895 to about 1898, and historical usage often refers specifically to this period. Both papers were accused by critics of sensationalizing the news in order to drive up circulation, although the newspapers did serious reporting as well. An English magazine in 1898 noted, "All American journalism is not 'yellow', though all strictly 'up-to-date' yellow journalism is American!"[5]

There was no "sensational journalism" in the exposing the 3 examples I used

The term muckraker was used in the Progressive Era to characterize reform-minded American journalists who attacked established institutions and leaders as corrupt. They typically had large audiences in some popular magazines. In the US, the modern term is investigative journalism — it has different and more pejorative connotations in British English — and investigative journalists in the US today are often informally called 'muckrakers'.

The muckrakers played a highly visible role during the Progressive Era period, 1890s–1920s

The press is controlled in all wars. So what?

Get your facts straight. Now what about naming one alt right conspiracy theory that has turned out true?

Here's the first part of the cut and paste job that you edited out...

Quote:
Yellow journalism and the yellow press are American terms for journalism and associated newspapers that present little or no legitimate well-researched news while instead using eye-catching headlines for increased sales.[1] Techniques may include exaggerations of news events, scandal-mongering, or sensationalism. By extension, the term yellow journalism is used today as a pejorative to decry any journalism that treats news in an unprofessional or unethical fashion.[2]
And that about sums up the last 30 months to a tee.

Last edited by OntheRail; 09-08-2018 at 02:45 AM.
OntheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #239
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail
Here's the first part of the cut and paste job that you edited out...

Yellow journalism and the yellow press are American terms for journalism and associated newspapers that present little or no legitimate well-researched news while instead using eye-catching headlines for increased sales.[1] Techniques may include exaggerations of news events, scandal-mongering, or sensationalism. By extension, the term yellow journalism is used today as a pejorative to decry any journalism that treats news in an unprofessional or unethical fashion.[2]
I edited out nothing. I provided a link. More than you ever do. And the last I heard copying an article and pasting it here, was perfectly legitimate.

The first thing I said was "You are mixing up historical context." Yellow journalism applies to an earlier time. Not today.

You can make the case that the free press today is just like the "yellow" press then, in the late 1880's to 1890's, but you would have to substantiate your hair brained claim.

I provided 3 cases of the free press exposing government and presidential abuse. I keep saying provide one, where an alt right conspiracy theory was proven correct.

Last edited by hcap; 09-08-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:15 PM   #240
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

It is perhaps not so surprising to hear that the problem of “fake news” — media outlets adopting sensationalism to the point of fantasy — is nothing new. Although, as Robert Darnton explained in the NYRB recently, the peddling of public lies for political gain (or simply financial profit) can be found in most periods of history dating back to antiquity, it is in the late 19th-century phenomenon of “Yellow Journalism” that it first seems to reach the widespread outcry and fever pitch of scandal familiar today. Why yellow? The reasons are not totally clear. Some sources point to the yellow ink the publications would sometimes use, though it more likely stems from the popular Yellow Kid cartoon that first ran in Joseph Pulitzer’s New York World, and later William Randolph Hearst’s New York Journal, the two newspapers engaged in the circulation war at the heart of the furore.
https://publicdomainreview.org/colle...-19th-century/

The news media has a long history of fake news. It happened in the past and it happens now, without out yellow ink, it is all about profits and shaping opinions.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply