Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 11-29-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
Blenheim
Race Player

" . . . the full majesty of that elastic stride."

Truly, the perfect horse is never seen.
Tom Ainslie

~

A couple of observations with respect to a couple of Derby hopefuls, one negative one positive. Videos can be found at the bottom of the page. Had fun puttin’ this one together.

First the negative. Take a look at Lone Sailor’s workout video (1), fast forward to 50 seconds; take a look at his left front lower leg (pastern). Then take a look at Game Winner’s BCJ video (2), fast forward to 1:22; take a look at his left front pastern. From what I’ve read that anomaly is called “winging out” and “extraneous limb motion may have soundness consequences.” Interestingly, I was at the Super Derby this year, Lone Sailor was entered and favored, I was at the paddock w/a local old timer who reminisced the Super Derby used to be the biggest thing goin’ his side of the Mississippi, folks would travel from all around the region to see the race, over a million bucks w/some pretty fine horses comin’ to get that purse . . . but since gambling and slots, it is only a shadow of the olden days. Still, it was a good crowd and a nice venue. We got to see Lone Sailor up close and we noticed his left front was “toed out.” Lone Sailor came in second that day, Game Winner remains undefeated.

Now the positive. This next observation is a little trickier, requires seein’ a couple three things at once. Take a look at Improbable’s Street Sense video (3), FF to 1:35. Take a look at his lower right rear, look at the length of his stride, rail posts flying by and his stride compared to the other horses; notice he doesn’t lower his head much while driving. Fast forward to 2:50; watch it in slo-mo. When I watched that video I knew I’d seen that stride somewheres before. Take a look at Sea-Bird’s video (4), FF to 1:45. I’ve watched that video a thousand times and there it was, that unmistakable stride. In the Prix Greffuhle and the Prix Lupin look at his left rear white sock, that stride length, rail posts flying by, his stride compared to other horses; doesn’t lower his head much. How many feet per stride and how many fps? Déjà vu all over again.

For those interested, what we’re watching here is what the late Marion County Livestock Agent Mark Shuffitt calls “tracking.” “Tracking refers to how a horse moves and is often referred to as his/her ‘way of going.’ The ‘way of going’ is evaluated on three characteristics: 1) Straightness or trueness of stride. 2) Length of stride. 3) Snap and flexion. Horses should travel in a coordinated agile and efficient manner.” The snap and flexion . . . I’m not the only one who noticed. Take a look at the video by Jeff Siegel racing (5).
What has been particular fascinating is tracking down that stride in his pedigree.

There’s a bunch more, suffice to say he is a Baffert, three Baffert type works since the Street Sense, his last a 7fl smoker (6), scheduled to go next in the 8 December Los Al. He’s a live one.

Once on the Derby Trail, ain’t no goin’ back.

Lookin’ forward to the Los Al.

3. https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...eet-sense-s-bt

6. https://www.xbtv.com/video/workout/i...ber-27th-2018/

Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: