Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 07-11-2021, 10:26 AM   #1
OverlayHunter

VPN Limitations

I've been using a VPN for 5 years or so. On occasion (but becoming more frequent), I'll get a message that entry to a site is forbidden (or a similar message) and the only way I've been able to enter the site is by turning off the VPN which, of course, defeats the protection.

Why do sites "care" whether or not a VPN is being used?

Is there a way to gain entry to sites that don't like VPN's besides turning the VPN off?
OverlayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2021, 10:35 AM   #2
headhawg
crusty old guy

Certain sites (like Facebook or even AskWoody) care about VPN usage because of possible threat actors, people who want to do nefarious digital things. You could try switching VPN server locations; that has worked for me sometimes. You could also try switching VPN providers to a lesser used service, but that probably won't work as threat actors use all of them.

BTW, a VPN is mainly just an IP anonymizer. In and of itself it doesn't provide protection save for the encrypted connection between your computer and the VPN server. The connection protocol (i.e. https in your browser) is what provides the end-to-end encryption.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:46 AM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

There are many reasons why certain sites might care if you are using a VPN.

Take an online gambling site. Online gambling is legal for residents of New Jersey who are actually physically IN New Jersey when they use the gambling site.

If you use a VPN to try and mask your location, they can't tell if you're actually in New Jersey or not...so of course they wouldn't allow the use of VPNs.

That's just one example.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:50 PM   #4
OverlayHunter

headhawg and PA, thank you for the insights. It sounds like there's no way around the problem which, at least in my head, translates to having to assume a higher level of risk at times by turning off the VPN.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:09 PM   #5
headhawg
crusty old guy

The risk is revealing your geolocation by IP address when you don't use a VPN. There are other risks depending on what activities you might be engaging in (logging and legal policies), but I assume that you just want to use a VPN to change the perceived location of your computer.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:21 PM   #6
OverlayHunter

headhawg, changing the location is rarely something I care about. I've been of the belief that VPN makes it more difficult for hackers to get into a computer and is of value in airports, motels, and other public areas in general. Is that not correct?
Old 07-11-2021, 07:33 PM   #7
headhawg
crusty old guy

Yes and no, Overlay. This site offers a good non-techie explanation: VPN explanation This paragraph applies to your question.
Internet Privacy: When you connect to the internet, especially on a public network (i.e. airport or coffee shop WiFi), there is a risk when transmitting your internet data. While using https websites already encrypts your data, using a VPN adds an extra layer of protection and a safety net in case you access an http website by accident.
A full understanding is a little trickier but I think you will find that page useful. Another good source for VPN (and other security info) can be found here.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:56 PM   #8
OverlayHunter

I'll have a chance to read your suggestions tomorrow, headhawg. I greatly appreciate the links. Thank you.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:26 AM   #9
headhawg
crusty old guy

Another idea that might work is using an "obfuscated" server. Essentially it makes the VPN appear as regular https: traffic. Your VPN provider may have this option. (Not all do.)
Old 07-12-2021, 05:20 PM   #10
OverlayHunter

headhawg, I'll look into the obfuscated server idea (thank you) but, in particular, I want to thank you for introducing me to the All Things Secured site. Very helpful. I'm probably safer than most but, with the help of that site, I'll be able to raise my level of security a considerable amount.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:05 PM   #11
headhawg
crusty old guy

Happy to help, OverlayHunter.

Last edited by headhawg; 07-12-2021 at 07:11 PM.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply