Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-28-2023, 09:44 AM   #16
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Doing everything they can to satisfy concerns about track safety isn't a good look?
Reports of a surge of horses dropping dead on the track shortly before the second leg of the Triple Crown on the other track in the state is not a good look. Regardless of how well meant their efforts are to satisfy concerns.
Aerocraft67 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2023, 10:26 AM   #17
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft67 View Post
Reports of a surge of horses dropping dead on the track shortly before the second leg of the Triple Crown on the other track in the state is not a good look. Regardless of how well meant their efforts are to satisfy concerns.
Two horses breaking down in a week doesn't actually qualify as a SURGE in my book...but that's just me.

I see this as them being proactive and extra-cautious...and I'm talking everyone involved, including management and horsemen.
Old 04-28-2023, 01:25 PM   #18
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Two horses breaking down in a week doesn't actually qualify as a SURGE in my book...but that's just me.

I see this as them being proactive and extra-cautious...and I'm talking everyone involved, including management and horsemen.
There's definitely some real issues with the track, and it feels like some politics are at play here as well. I'm not in tune with it. I do not know the details. You have Pimlico with goals and some money things, and we are approaching the Triple Crown and the Preakness...
Old 04-28-2023, 01:26 PM   #19
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

Quote:

Maryland horsemen cited five catastrophic breakdowns on the surface since the beginning of April in a letter to the racing commission. Whether that's a surge or not, that's how it's being reported—replete with generous quotes from the anti-racing lobby in the two local CBS articles posted here.

Drama ensued with an agreement to get a third party to inspect the track, half an hour before an emergency meeting of the racing commission. The inspection turned out favorably. Commission approved, horsemen satisfied, 1/ST vindicated, racing back on for Saturday.

The news is pretty fresh from yesterday, but no word yet what on what changed to make the track viable for tomorrow that wasn't last week. We could use a little more clarity on that.

Otherwise, it might fuel the anti-racing narrative that a callous industry changes nothing and disregards animal welfare. And with the Preakness three weeks away, seems wise to conspicuously and unambiguously confirm the soundness of Maryland racing.

I hadn't intended to launch a critique of Maryland racing authorities, but now that you mention it, if anything, maybe they could manage the optics a little better.
Old 04-28-2023, 02:13 PM   #20
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I don't see how they could have done anything differently.

Shut down racing for three days while they have about a week to bring in people to examine the surface.

If those experts agree the track is safe to race on, what else is there to do?

What were you looking for, exactly?
Old 04-28-2023, 04:09 PM   #21
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

Quote:
What were you looking for, exactly?
Explanation of what the problem was and what was done to fix it. Why is the track safe now but not last week?
Old 04-28-2023, 04:20 PM   #22
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Explanation of what the problem was and what was done to fix it. Why is the track safe now but not last week?
My guess is NOTHING was wrong with the track...horses break down...sometimes in clusters...
Old 04-28-2023, 04:32 PM   #23
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

Quote:
My guess is NOTHING was wrong with the track...horses break down...sometimes in clusters...
That's a reasonable guess. But there is a history of problems at the track. Given renewed scrutiny just before the Preakness, you shouldn't have to guess.
Old 04-28-2023, 05:08 PM   #24
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

If thectrack is fine why have they shut down?
Old 04-28-2023, 11:32 PM   #25
The_Turf_Monster

I seriously doubt that 99% of the people tuning into the Preakness know that Pimlico and Laurel are even in the same state and under the same racing jurisdiction and by the looks of the amount of tickets available, interest in the Preakness is low.
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2023, 09:08 AM   #26
HorsemenHeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
If thectrack is fine why have they shut down?
1/st racing blamed the horsemen for the breakdowns, then shut down training and gate schooling at both Laurel and Pimlico. If there wasn't any vindictiveness from management, why was Pimlico shut down for training too?
HorsemenHeist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2023, 09:33 AM   #27
VeryOldMan

Here's an article from yesterday's Baltimore Sun which gives a good overview of the current situation in Maryland. It sure seems like momentum is building towards consolidating Maryland racing at Pimlico rather than Laurel.

https://archive.ph/PSBmX
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2023, 09:50 AM   #28
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
I seriously doubt that 99% of the people tuning into the Preakness know that Pimlico and Laurel are even in the same state and under the same racing jurisdiction and by the looks of the amount of tickets available, interest in the Preakness is low.
Good point about the awareness, but any news coverage of the matter will no doubt make the connection for them. And this is well within the range of any journalist looking for something interesting to report for the Preakness.

Waning interest in the Preakness just raises the urgency here. They pegged the economic impact of the event at more than $50 million back in 2019. I'd be surprised if Governor Moore himself weren't pounding the table to get this more firmly resolved.

Unfortunately, the latest on this is behind a paywall at the Baltimore Sun. They may well have provided a suitable explanation. Here are yesterday's headlines:
Horse deaths, like those at Laurel Park, are routine in racing — one more reason to end the 'sport' - The Baltimore Sun
On April 21, horse racing at Laurel Park was suspended, a day after two horses died in back-to-back races. This mini crisis in Maryland...

Racing at Laurel Park to resume Saturday as horsemen, Maryland Jockey Club agree dirt surface is safe
Thoroughbred racing will return to Laurel Park on Saturday after the Maryland Racing Commission gave its blessing Thursday morning based on...

Maryland horse racing could consolidate at Pimlico, as the future of Laurel Park is 'very much in question'
Just a few years ago, the Maryland Jockey Club pushed to move the Preakness from Baltimore to Laurel Park. But soon, the track midway...
Avoiding the first one was kind of what I've been on about since PA prompted me to elaborate. The second one hopefully has the critical explanation to put further inquiry to rest. The third is probably an interesting update. Sorry, my library card appears to be expired, and I subscribe to other regional papers...
Old 04-29-2023, 10:25 AM   #29
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryOldMan View Post
Here's an article from yesterday's Baltimore Sun which gives a good overview of the current situation in Maryland. It sure seems like momentum is building towards consolidating Maryland racing at Pimlico rather than Laurel.

https://archive.ph/PSBmX
I posted in parallel to this. Apparently a "Very old man" is best at getting behind paywalls...thanks!

This is a good overview. Must have been quite a spread in the physical paper yesterday, with this and the other two articles. Any chance you have access to those? I presume it's too late for me to track down a physical paper.

I'm surprised that Laurel Park is so decrepit that it doesn't even factor well to serve as a training facility, and that building one from scratch within 40-minute drive of Pimlico is more economically viable.

They must have a specific site in mind for the training facility (fair enough not to disclose that). The 40-minute range is roughly an arc from Frederick, to the Pennsylvania line, to Havre de Grace. I'm assuming going south is too urbanized and expensive. Unless the the old Bowie facility is still restorable?

I guess the facelift Stronach put on Laurel a couple years ago was just that.
Old 04-29-2023, 11:43 AM   #30
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Must have been quite a spread in the physical paper yesterday, with this and the other two articles. Any chance you have access to those?
Since you're a fellow Marylander and asked nicely, here ya go

https://archive.ph/yfYCf

https://archive.ph/gXWir
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply