Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #91
Horseplayersbet.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwupl
The odds are that the Governor will sign the bill and claim victory.

Then the second half begins...and the action starts at the CHRB. It is expected that they will also approve a request by the racetracks for the increase on two and three horse exotic bets,but they have a lot more info. now than they had when this was started.

Horseplayers will adjust their game in California to win, place show (I will be among them)@15.68% and continue to find other places to play the exotics.

When trend lines and handle are going down, that is a natural boycott, and a formal boycott would be pointed to do the same thing, so economic forces are doing the work now.

I am informed the new rate for D.D's and exactas @ 22.68 will be the highest in the nation for this type of bet, and is certain to continue the downward trend lines for handle in California.

It is hard to understand why the regulators do not get it,unless you consider a "Me first attitude" or an unconscious conflict of interest. The majority on the CHRB are licensed horsemen...And members of the TOC, a horsemens advocate group, and the increase is to go 100% for horsemens purses.
A fast food restaurant opened up less than a mile from me about 4 months ago. They advertised their fried chicken special: 4 pieces and fries for $11.99. I know I can go to KFC and buy 4 pieces and fries for less than $10.00. I never tried the new place.
Yesterday, I drove past the place and saw a couple of "For Sale" realty signs in front of it. They are out of business.

I guess he is packing his bags to race some horses in California now.

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #92
The_Knight_Sky

Quote:

I am informed the new rate for D.D's and exactas @ 22.68 will be the highest in the nation for this type of bet, and is certain to continue the downward trend lines for handle in California.

Those two pools get a bulk of my action so this bill has me concerned.
You say that the win-place-show pools will be left untouched,
but with the small fields that continue to be unaddressed, I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

I'm all for getting creative with the Kelly method of bankroll building,
two horse wagering etc. but to deny me the bread and butter of the exacta pool is going to battle with one hand tied behind my back.

Quote:

It is hard to understand why the regulators do not get it,unless you consider a "Me first attitude" or an unconscious conflict of interest. The majority on the CHRB are licensed horsemen...And members of the TOC, a horsemens advocate group, and the increase is to go 100% for horsemens purses.

To say nothing of the $2 million in bonuses to promote the Breeders Cup should it find a home in SoCal. All funded by the nations horseplayers. Whether you like synthetics Breeders Cup or not, you're paying for it with every trip to the windows.

It took four years to finally come to a conclusion what a mistake synthetic racetracks were, and it's a shame we'll have to wait four more years for the handle figures to prove what a grave mistake Bill 1072 is.

California racing will never recover the national fan base, no matter how much they pimp it on TVG.
The_Knight_Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #93
Charlie D

The Knight Sky, just move operations to one of the lowest WPS takes and the LOWEST Excata take place in the USA.
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #94
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D
The Knight Sky, just move operations to one of the lowest WPS takes and the LOWEST Excata take place in the USA.
I agree.

We horseplayers often blame the horse racing industry for being slow in adapting to changing conditions...but we are resistant to change as well.

The big advantage with full-card simulcasting is that we can always find what we are looking for...if only we are willing to step out of our "comfort" zones.

We complain about the small fields. Well, the full fields are still out there...we just have to gravitate to them.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #95
Charlie D

The place with the LOWEST Exacta take does not beat Retama or Tampa on the DD , but it beats the rest of the USA.

Andy Serling, Jason Blewitt and Eric Donovan are singing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbiPDSxFgd8 The Knight Sky
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #96
The_Knight_Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D

The place with the LOWEST Exacta take does not beat Retama or Tampa on the DD , but it beats the rest of the USA.

I think a lot of the bettors already do that unconsciously.
But it takes more than one or two low takeout pools to get me interested.
Familiarity with the product, ample dirt racing, extended racing season are also important.

Would you believe I did not play a single 15% Pick 4 or Pick 5 at Monmouth Park this summer?
Serial wagers on a single card is not my thing. I'm a pick-my-spots-around-the-country-vertical guy. It is also important to race during my time frame 5 to 10 pm ET.

Of course Oak Tree will race under the lights on Thursdays and Friday's this year ending at 1:30 am ET. Another nice move there Mr. Chillingworth. Thanks to that, handle will surely be...
Old 09-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #97
The_Knight_Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos

I agree.

We horseplayers often blame the horse racing industry for being slow in adapting to changing conditions...

but we are resistant to change as well.

The big advantage with full-card simulcasting is that we can always find what we are looking for...if only we are willing to step out of our "comfort" zones.

Sure we are. I started out studying NJ racing in the 80's
but today much of my action is sent to racetracks out of state.
Gravitating back to Monmouth Park was bit of an "awkward" experience this summer.

Right now, I'd be interested in racetracks that can present a good racing card after 5 pm ET.

Those racetracks that have the guts to fill the vacant Mondays and Tuesdays on the racing calendar with live racing have a starved gambling audience waiting for them.

Last edited by The_Knight_Sky; 09-28-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #98
Horseplayersbet.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Knight_Sky
Sure we are. I started out studying NJ racing in the 80's
but today much of my action is sent to racetracks out of state.
Gravitating back to Monmouth Park was bit of an "awkward" experience this summer.

Right now, I'd be interested in racetracks that can present a good racing card after 5 pm ET.

Those racetracks that have the guts to fill the vacant Mondays and Tuesdays on the racing calendar with live racing have a starved gambling audience waiting for them.
Woodbine races at night on Wednesdays and they are lucky to do $200k handle per race.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #99
The_Knight_Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplayersbet.com
Woodbine races at night on Wednesdays and they are lucky to do $200k handle per race.

I don't think Woodbine will ever capture the fancy of those south of the border. Not with polytrack and not with the once-a-week foray into primetime.

Every racetrack has to make a long term commitment
to a particular time slot and particular racing days each week.

The worst of these was Turfway Park
with the fiddling of their post times every year, from 5:30 to 7:00 pm Et.

Afternoons, evenings, throwing everything up against the wall.
That's Turfway. That won't build a clientele nor help keep it coming back.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #100
Horseplayersbet.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Knight_Sky
I don't think Woodbine will ever capture the fancy of those south of the border. Not with polytrack and not with the once-a-week foray into primetime.

Every racetrack has to make a long term commitment
to a particular time slot and particular racing days each week.

The worst of these was Turfway Park
with the fiddling of their post times every year, from 5:30 to 7:00 pm Et.

Afternoons, evenings, throwing everything up against the wall.
That's Turfway. That won't build a clientele nor help keep it coming back.
Woodbine has been racing Wednesday nights for decades. Their purses are great. The quality isn't phenomenal but it isn't horrible(what does that say about what California is hoping to attain?). Their only competition is Penn Gaming usually.

Sorry, but weeknight racing has its limitations.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #101
teddy

STOP PLAYING

Only the hard core players that live and die by 2% will cut back wagers. The rest have no clue about takeouts at diff tracks.. they play all day ones with 17% and next race is at a 24% track... they could care less. I have never been in vegas and heard anyone say they were going to skip any track due to takeout.
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #102
Horseplayersbet.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy
Only the hard core players that live and die by 2% will cut back wagers. The rest have no clue about takeouts at diff tracks.. they play all day ones with 17% and next race is at a 24% track... they could care less. I have never been in vegas and heard anyone say they were going to skip any track due to takeout.
One more time. It doesn't matter if players know or care less. They will play less because they will have less to churn. Some will stay away between reloads longer, and others may quit altogether. And many won't know why they cut back.