Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #16
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
poly lover.....
That's me. Don't you remember? That's why I pushed so hard for Keenland to be rated #1.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #17
InsideThePylons-MW

Quote:
poly lover.....
I'm glad you said it.

I thought it but held back.
InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #18
jelly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideThePylons-MW
"In 1993 (or 94) when NYRA executives Kenny Noe and Steve Crist announced they were going to raise the takeout 3% it became clear to me that if I stayed in NY I probably wouldn't be able to make a living.".....Ernie Dahlman

What say you mr. Crist?
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #19
Ernie Dahlman

giving up my source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
I didn't start betting New York until 1995 but I would be extremely disappointed in Crist if he EVER wanted to raise takeout there. I'm not doubting Pylons' post; just shows how easy one can switch allegiances.
In Steven Crist's book "Betting on Myself", there is a paragraph on page 185 that says
Quote:
At least I was able to sell them on a scheme that made it look like a restructuring rather than a plain increase. Instead of raising everything from 17 per cent to 19 or 20 percent, what if we went from 17 to 20 on two-horse bets such as exactas and daily doubles, but went down from 17 to 15 percent on win,place, and show? Since twice as much was bet on the two-horse wagers, the net effect would be the 2 percent increase they were seeking, but at least this way New York could say it had the lowest win-place-show takeout in the country and we'd be giving takeout sensitive customers an option.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 09-04-2010 at 01:51 AM. Reason: fixed quote formatting
Ernie Dahlman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2010, 11:20 PM   #20
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Dahlman
In Steven Crist's book "Betting on Myself", there is a paragraph on page 185 that says
Quote:
At least I was able to sell them on a scheme that made it look like a restructuring rather than a plain increase. Instead of raising everything from 17 per cent to 19 or 20 percent, what if we went from 17 to 20 on two-horse bets such as exactas and daily doubles, but went down from 17 to 15 percent on win,place, and show? Since twice as much was bet on the two-horse wagers, the net effect would be the 2 percent increase they were seeking, but at least this way New York could say it had the lowest win-place-show takeout in the country and we'd be giving takeout sensitive customers an option
Interesting, since 18 years later California did the same thing to sell it.

The sad thing is it did not work when they did it in New York and Shwartz had to lower it again in 2001. But in CA they must have forgot about that part of it.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #21
InsideThePylons-MW

Quote:
Interesting, since 18 years later California did the same thing to sell it.

The sad thing is it did not work when they did it in New York and Shwartz had to lower it again in 2001. But in CA they must have forgot about that part of it.
Like I said above.......

If he's a objective writer, horseplayer, cares about the game, honest, good guy, etc......just one of those should make him feel obligated to write in his article that we/he tried it before and it failed miserably.

Am I wrong to think this or has the game become every man for himself?

Last edited by InsideThePylons-MW; 09-03-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:53 PM   #22
InsideThePylons-MW

Quote:
giving up my source

"dug a lot of deep holes in the last few weeks......." SC

Steven Crist

Old 09-03-2010, 11:53 PM   #23
Charlie D

Quote:
every man for himself?

It's above i'm afraid ITP
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #24
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideThePylons-MW
Am I wrong to think this or has the game become every man for himself?
There is always a band aid around the corner - slots, whatever the new band aid du jour is.

In racing it's much easier to prolong, rather than persevere.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #25
turfnsport

Quote:
There is always a band aid around the corner - slots, whatever the new band aid du jour is.
In California's case once the takeout hike is signed into law, they might need something more along the lines of a tampon.
turfnsport is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #26
castaway01

Quote:
Mr. Dahlman, all due respect, but maybe you should actually post the full quote from the book, not just the very ending after the meeting was over. Since Inside the Pylons is allowed that same garbage in each post, I hope I'm allowed to post what Crist actually wrote, rather than a carefully chosen excerpt that is disingenuous at best.

From page 184 of "Betting on Myself"

"Kenny [Noe] had been surprisingly flexible about allowing me to pursue simulcasting and in-home betting, issues on which I had expected to get little support. On one trip we were scheduled to meet with state budget officials, and I was hopeful we could make some progress on another of my missions, takeout reduction.

The meeting began badly. The budget chief said that NYRA's contributions to the state had been declining steadily and that while simulcasting and in-home betting were interesting long-term projects, the state wanted more money now. He thought there was an easy solution: New York's 17 percent takeout on straight and two-horse bets was a little low compared to other states. Why not just bump it up to 20 percent?

I saw Dragone's eyes roll back in frustration, and I opened my mouth to begin my stump speech about how takeout was too high already and a reduction was the only path to long-term growth. Kenny jumped in a second before I could begin.

"I couldn't agree with you more," he told the budget chief. "We'd be willing to do that if some of the money came back to us for purses and the facilities."

There was no arguing the point with him or with the state. The bottom line was that if NYRA wanted more purse money and a franchise renewal, the state wanted more money out of the betting pools. Kenny told me to save my breath about how the press and public would react. A few years down the road we could go back and argue for a reduction, but we had to go along with this now or there wouldn't be a NYRA in a few years. The only question was whether the takeout was going up to 19 or 20 percent."

THEN, after all that, it goes into the oft-quoted part about the "scheme" where you make it sound like it was Crist's idea and not the state of New York, or that he could have done anything about it other than quit his job, in which case takeout would have gone up anyway.

"At least I was able to sell them on a scheme that made it look like a restructuring rather than a plain increase. Instead of raising everything from 17 percent to 19 or 20 percent, what if we went from 17 to 20 on two-horse bets such as exactas and daily doubles, but went down from 17 to 15 percent on win, place, and show? Since twice as much was bet on the two-horse wagers, the net effect would be the 2 percent increase they were seeking, but at least this way New York could say it had the lowest win-place-show takeout in the country."
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #27
Ernie Dahlman

nonsense

I saw Dragone's eyes roll back in frustration, and I opened my mouth to begin my stump speech about how takeout was too high already and a reduction was the only path to long-term growth. Kenny jumped in a second before I could begin.

You say I'm disingenuous for not printing this nonsense? Do you really think if Crist would have opened his mouth one second sooner we wouldn't have had a takeout increase?
Ernie Dahlman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #28
andymays
Veteran

Isn't the point that just about everyone realizes that Horse Racing has become a bad bet in too many states because of high takeout and other stuff.

Whatever happened in the past is water under the bridge. What's important is not to do the Horseplayers "circular firing squad" thing. I already see it happening.

The enemy is easy to spot.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #29
Bruddah
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
Isn't the point that just about everyone realizes that Horse Racing has become a bad bet in too many states because of high takeout and other stuff.

Whatever happened in the past is water under the bridge. What's important is not to do the Horseplayers "circular firing squad" thing. I already see it happening.

The enemy is easy to spot.

I have seen the enemy and the enemy is us!

Can I get an Amen Bruddah!
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #30
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruddah
[/B]

I have seen the enemy and the enemy is us!

Can I get an Amen Bruddah!
I'm not quite sure on this one.

If you're saying I'm somehow the enemy then no Amen Bruddah. If you saying we need to listen and cooperate with one another to defeat the guys that are destroying the game then absolutely. Amen Bruddah!