Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

View Poll Results: Should CA be required to post all take out rates at all points where wagers are made?
Yes - put all take out rates out in the open for all to see 28 87.50%
No - the state of California loves the mushroom theory 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. This poll is closed

Old 08-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #16
TEJAS KIDD

As much as I hate to say this, but if they just threw numbers on random horses with no jockeys and no names and no past performances, there would probably be an increase in handle. Oh wait, never mind, that's already been done and the handle is better. It's called the LOTTERY (50% takeout)

Last edited by TEJAS KIDD; 08-27-2010 at 10:11 PM.
TEJAS KIDD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #17
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Sure the 'Should' but don't make it a law or a mandate - that's what California usually does about everything and then those laws usually come back and bite them or the people they were meant to benefit.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2010, 12:36 AM   #18
InsideThePylons-MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEJAS KIDD
Someone should do a survey at the racetrack.

Question 1.
Do you know what takeout is?
Question 2
Do you care what takeout is?
Question 3.
Do you know what the takeout is at this racetrack?

A huge majority will answer.
NO NO NO
If they answer NO to question 1....Why would you ask 2 and 3?
InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2010, 12:51 AM   #19
Foolish Pleasure
Veteran

NO, NO, NO,

because anyone who does bother to ask with a functioning brain immediately flees quickly,

the obvious implication is someone interested in racing for gambling purposes is probably the guy who is going to ask-

cracks me up everytime, they say nobody at the track knows the takeout,
of course not everyone with brain enough to look already left.

Transparency in takeout via the internet is part of the reason why the sport has such a hard time finding suckers anymore.

Last edited by Foolish Pleasure; 08-28-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Foolish Pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #20
iwearpurple

Why only California?

Why not all states, and what about Canada?
iwearpurple is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #21
rwwupl

California racing managers are looking for a way to increase public participation in the great game of horse racing in the golden State. A fellow member of the Horse players Association of North America (HANA) has an idea that merits consideration.

DJ of SD says that California should label all bets with the takeout costs, or post signs at the selling point as to the takeout. Much like they label a can of corn or soda as to fat content or calories.

The racing managers insist on informing us that that horse racing customers do not care about takeout, only 2 or 3 out of a hundred customers they say can tell you what the takeout is. If this is so, I am sure that they will support this idea because they have made it clear that they are all for transparency.

But wait...

I can think of a reason or two that the racing managers might not be so willing to support this idea…I think California has tiered takeouts. All bets do not cost the same as to the type of bet or where you live or who you are. If you bet to win, place or show, you are charged one price. If you bet some exotics you are charged another price and other exotics you are charged another price. If you live in a certain State you can get a rebate. Some States you can not get a rebate, and California is one of those. The CHRB is not the cause for a lack of rebates in California, The TOC is responsible by restricting bet processors to access a limit 6.5% of any California bet by law, leaving no wiggle room for rebates . The takeout cost less any rebate is the cost of the bet.

Now I think I know why the customers can not tell you the takeout numbers. When a bet is made few people know what they are paying for the bet because the information is not available, like a label on a can of corn.

There is no reason why one bet should cost more than another, they are all processed electronically, and there is no reason why one customer should pay more for a bet than another customer. ALL bets should cost the same.

How can you expand the fan base and create more revenue if you treat customers differently by giving some rebates and charge others different prices for a bet? With a list of different prices and no menu it is no wonder no one knows how much a bet costs. Is that discriminatory or not? V.I. P. treatment can be in many forms, but this is the wrong way.

Horse racing is a game that skill and handicapping must be rewarded, it is one man against another at the windows and customers need to know that they are playing on a level playing field, and want to be separated according to their skill level and not the size of their wallet or who they know. The CHRB and the legislators have have a mission to protect the citizen/player and need to review this.

The only reason I can think of for not supporting this idea of “Truth in Wagering” is that the racing managers prefer to keep the customers blind and hide behind the lack of information and say the customers do not care. If this were adopted I think the racing managers would have to compete in the real world, and prices would come down with the light of day and handle would go up.

Customers do care. The people love horse racing, but other gaming offers a better deal at this time and our racing managers are not showing respect for the customers they have left and refuse to compete for us.

rwwupl

P.S. Remember to vote in the poll above.
rwwupl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #22
thaskalos

Even if a horseplayer is uninterested in the takeout, and its affects...he will be victimized by it just the same.

His pockets will soon be empty...he just won't know why.

Last edited by thaskalos; 08-28-2010 at 09:49 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply