Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Poll: If You Were Building A New Track, Which Surface Would You Chose For Your Main Track?
Poll Options
If You Were Building A New Track, Which Surface Would You Chose For Your Main Track?

Old 04-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
Bobzilla

If You Were Going To Build A New Racetrack, What Surface Would You Chose?

You're loaded and you don't know what else to do with your gazillions of dollars. On top of that you have a passion for the racing world and would like to build a new racetrack as a lasting legacy to your life. You purchase ample acreage of land with close proximity to a major metropolitan area, so much land in fact that you could build a track the size of Belmont if you so desired.

The time has come to make a decision on what type of surface should be chosen for your main track. You're being contacted by officials of the NTRA, Jockey Club and Breeders' Cup who are making their case for an all-weather (synthetic) variety. This would be in the interest of directing North American Racing towards an universal surface, as is done worldwide. They have promised you a Breeders' Cup every so many years if you fall into lockstep with their business plan to integrate North American Racing into the world community of racing. You understand their points and have taken into consideration their "irrefutable" claims that synthetic tracks are a more appropriate surface when considering the well-being of horse and rider. You think about the image of racing as seen by the public at large.

You're torn, however, as you have concerns about reports that indicate some of your potential customers might not want to wager as much if the surface is a synthetic variety. You consider the tradition of North American racing and its history of having a clear distinction between main track dirt racing and inner track grass racing. Both surfaces offering the player a bevy of variables to consider and each with their own dynamics and approaches to optimizing the distribution of energy. Some players have indicated to you that they see synthetics as, perhaps not exactly like turf, but close enough in regard to how the races play out and the bloodlines of those who excel over it. You think about the preservation of our dirt track heritage being something important and you recognize the validity of our racing as we've known it for centuries, despite how it's disrespected and scoffed at by those on other continents and some ex-pat horsemen working here in America. Some people have suggested to you that a well maintained dirt surface can be as safe as a synthetic surface and that the entire issue has diverted resources, energy and attention away from finding the actual causes of injuries to horses.

After thinking about this for awhile you realize you have three options. What option would you chose?

Last edited by Bobzilla; 04-13-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
eastie
Double Secret Probation

synthetic tracks are like a rainy day at the beach. They have awesome dirt at saratoga. I'd use something like that. They used to have this really dark brown dirt at Rockingham that was high quality dirt. It even tasted pretty good according to a couple people who I made taste it.
eastie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
onefast99

Dirt with a clay base two inches of sand and top soil.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
SMOO

Turf with a removable dome over the course.
SMOO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
kenwoodallpromos

Dirt?

I answered Synthetic because your question was only on the MAIN track, so the 3rd option is mute. That leaves only the option between dirt, which as far as I know, USA track is over 50% sand, and fake. So sand Vs sand with a bit of synthetic material is your actual options, and you do not have an option for "Neither", which would have been my answer.
If I had that much ground to work with, I would choose a mild enviroment with a regular amount of rain all year, and I would put in 3 GRASS tracks, long grass on the main track, medium length grass on the secondary track, and short, less watered grass on the sprint track. Then on the infield long grass for "free range" horses on the mend. I would make the track the most horse-friendly of all, nothing blocking the view of the track, put the toteboard high up with trackus, require extra large numbers on the horses, publish all final times of all runners in .00 seconds, have 1 strip of deep synthetic surface on the front portion of the infield for jousting between races, karaoke contests with a live band after, free PP's in the programs, dirt strip between main and seconary track for ambulance and van And 1 on the infield for the sprint track), outside seating plastic cushioned, free pencils and pens, special races for shippers from non-grass tracks including maiden and maiden claimers for dirt but non-grass winners, at least a couple of fast food restaurants which ONLY have $1.00 menu. I would sell horseshoes of the track's or stabled stakes winners in the gift shop and have the money going to retired unwanted-horse care, and a ceremony in the winner's circle for retiring horses, saying where they are going next and giving them each a nameplate for their harness, sending a no slaughter statement and the medical record with them. I would host events targeted to high school seniors on dark days like various job prep training. I would have progressive longshot betting and a "board" just for all track carryovers and bets under 1.00.

Last edited by kenwoodallpromos; 04-13-2009 at 11:33 AM.
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOO
Turf with a removable dome over the course.
that's an idea.......... but I don't think there is a dome that big anywhere?

the engineering alone might be tough
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
hencicleva

I don't get the idea that the "World" has embraced synthetic. As far as I know (I am a newbie) the UK and Ireland only use it for training and for minor evening races. I think there would be riots and questions in Parliament if they tried to swap any major turf courses for poly. I'd have all 3 if it were feasable but please keep Dirt and Turf!
hencicleva is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
foregoforever

Why is "time to join the world racing community" attached to synthetics? There are very few synthetic tracks around the world, and then only as training courses or back-ups for the turf course when out of the growing season.

If you really want to join the world racing community, you'd eliminate dirt and install multiple turf courses in the southern states, and turf courses plus a cold-weather synthetic track in the north.
foregoforever is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

There are actually synthetic turf courses that are spectacular.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #10
Bobzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by foregoforever
Why is "time to join the world racing community" attached to synthetics? There are very few synthetic tracks around the world, and then only as training courses or back-ups for the turf course when out of the growing season.

If you really want to join the world racing community, you'd eliminate dirt and install multiple turf courses in the southern states, and turf courses plus a cold-weather synthetic track in the north.
I understand what you're saying. It begs the question why are synthetic surfaces being installed at all if all we really need to do to join the world racing community is simply race on grass period. I guess the answer would be that tracks need an alternative if the grass course is deemed unsafe due to excessive rain. I believe in Europe they race anyway when the track is a bog, but that might be because the courses have sweeping turns and not tight turns as is the case here.

I do feel that the powers that be in American Racing view synthetic surfaces as a leveling of the playing field when matching American main track horses against European turf horses. I don't agree with that assertion but I think it's widely accepted as true.
Bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
MickJ26

The answer's easy, one of each.

That way, everyone's happy.
MickJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #12
dartman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastie
synthetic tracks are like a rainy day at the beach. They have awesome dirt at saratoga. I'd use something like that. They used to have this really dark brown dirt at Rockingham that was high quality dirt. It even tasted pretty good according to a couple people who I made taste it.
That was the horse shit, mixed in with the dirt, they were tasting. That's what made it DARK BROWN.
dartman51 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #13
Fingal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
that's an idea.......... but I don't think there is a dome that big anywhere?

the engineering alone might be tough
Sure there can be- if they can make a Baseball Field with a retractable roof, why couldn't there be a racecourse ? Or maybe they could just get a giant blue tarp............
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #14
foregoforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingal
Or maybe they could just get a giant blue tarp.
What you need are rollers built into the rail that are loaded with ShamWow! After it rains, you roll it out and just let it lay on top of the grass for a few seconds. Then you roll it back up with some sort of wringer in the roller. Grass is dry. Then say "Wow!"

I need to call that patent service that advertises on HRTV.
foregoforever is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #15
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
There are actually synthetic turf courses that are spectacular.
cj, I'm not familiar with synthetic turf courses. Can you tell us a little bit more about them?