Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-04-2017, 10:07 PM   #1
Parkview_Pirate

Big Brother and the Sugar Pop Tax

https://www.theburningplatform.com/2...da-tax-impact/

Quote:
Philadelphia rang in the new year with a controversial new beverage tax on soda and other sugar-sweetened drinks. The tax, which went into effect on Sunday, is the first one of its kind in a major city in the United States.

While the tax is technically 1.5 cents per ounce, which doesn’t sound too terrible, when buying a 10-pack of 20 oz bottles those numbers climb pretty quickly. In this case, a 10-pack of Propel flavored water that originally retailed for $5.99 had an additional three dollars tacked on to it in taxes.
Apparently soda pop and flavored waters are luxury items, and not for the serfs. One of many desperate measures to increase tax "revenue" (under the guise of bettering your health) by .govs which are inept and out of control....
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2017, 10:38 PM   #2
Inner Dirt

The tax even covers zero calorie artificially sweetened drinks. So if I bought my 89 cent liter of Food Lion peach sparkling water it would cost $1.40. A 12 pack of the same store brand diet soda that cost $2.89 would go up to $5.05.
My weekly beverage purchases would cost me an extra $7.25. No where in Philadelphia you can't drive 5 miles or less and get out of the city, a lot of residents are just going to drive a little further to grocery shop. It might not hurt the convenience stores where people pick up a coffee or energy drink on the way to work, but the large grocery stores are going lose a lot of business.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2017, 10:39 PM   #3
johnhannibalsmith

These are the sort of sordid stories I like to point at when people just can't understand why I fall in with that ignorant 'small government' mantra that seems at odds with mostly liberal social outlook. You just have to keep smacking at that hand or it just never stops grabbing for more and more until it is terminal.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #4
Valuist

And the voters out here blindly went along with it I guess one shouldn't expect any more from the California voters. I heard it also passed in Illinois.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Let's eliminate ALL pay and bennies for ALL elected official and then we would need to worry about taxes.

These slimeballs should pay rent for their chairs and pay parking.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
These are the sort of sordid stories I like to point at when people just can't understand why I fall in with that ignorant 'small government' mantra that seems at odds with mostly liberal social outlook. You just have to keep smacking at that hand or it just never stops grabbing for more and more until it is terminal.
\

Forget the hand - give them a good kick to the balls.
Oh, wait, elected official have no balls.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #7
Inner Dirt

What I don't understand is how do taxes and government fees continue to rise and rise and rise, yet the government services in those areas go down and down and down? The best example is California. I lived there 50 years and watched taxes and fees go through the roof while most of Southern California turned into looking like a 3rd world country.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Fraud. The government-types are syphoning off the taxes, either by directly stealing or by funneling to accomplices who give them kickbacks.
I would guess at least 90% of all taxes are somehow stolen by the low-life bottom feeders we elect.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #9
HalvOnHorseracing

Sounds like a real opportunity for a black marketeer. Any enterprising entrepreneurs out there?

Story I'm expecting to see: The tax is on distributors, not a sales tax, so any store that bought its inventory/stock before January 1 didn't have to pay the tax. Some reporter will find a supermarket/convenience store that had inventory pre-January 1 that they collected the tax on and make a huge deal about it because that's what local news does.

The most liberal city in the country, NY, shot down Bloomberg's sugary beverages tax, so Philadelphia may wind up alone on this.

For the record, it's a bad idea with only a small chance of still being on the books in a year. Other than impulse buys, anyone with a serious Coke (or Pepsi) habit will find a tax free source and buy in bulk. Ironically, the people most likely to benefit from the tax also seem most likely to be the ones buying soda in Philadelphia. Perhaps poetic justice. The people with cars and a habit will head across the river to Jersey. Hopefully they won't get confused when the thirsty Philadelphians ask for Coke.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #10
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
What I don't understand is how do taxes and government fees continue to rise and rise and rise, yet the government services in those areas go down and down and down? The best example is California. I lived there 50 years and watched taxes and fees go through the roof while most of Southern California turned into looking like a 3rd world country.
Unions have pushed for and gotten strong retirement programs. It is now not possible to pay them out without taking more money from the regular operating funds. Just like the housing crash, retirement plan crash is coming soon.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2017, 01:49 PM   #11
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing
Sounds like a real opportunity for a black marketeer. Any enterprising entrepreneurs out there?

This was literally my first thought. If this is Philly then the mob must have been pushing this bill.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

There's a receipt pic going around where a guy bought a 5.95 bottle of water with some kind of berry flavor added.

Total check was 9.75
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

We kicked King George's ass over far less than this.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #14
delayjf

Quote:
Just like the housing crash, retirement plan crash is coming soon.
Yet the CA courts have dictated that retirement plans must and will be honored. So, there is no choice but to raise taxes or cut services.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #15
bugboy

sugar tax

If I go to my local DD and ask for a coffee with sugar.........is there a sugar tax on that.
bugboy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply