Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 01-07-2017, 01:17 AM   #1
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

blinkers and off-tracks...?

How does an off track affect a horse wearing blinkers...? My concern is that mud would, naturally, be flying everywhere and could get lodged in the cups affecting the eyes of the horse.....jockeys wear goggles that they remove during the race as needed for vision and safety...isn't it better that no blinkers be worn on off-track days....?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #2
green80

That never has been a problem, it's more of a fine, liquid mud. Although the horses face is usually covered in mud the eye cups are open. I have seen more problems like that on the turf course where chunks of turf fly up and hit a horse in the eye.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
How does an off track affect a horse wearing blinkers...? My concern is that mud would, naturally, be flying everywhere and could get lodged in the cups affecting the eyes of the horse.....jockeys wear goggles that they remove during the race as needed for vision and safety...isn't it better that no blinkers be worn on off-track days....?
Before you ask such a question you need to come up with the mechanism that will allow you to validate it. This mechanism should be applicable to any kind of a handicapping factor that you can describe as a falsifiable statement. The handicapping factor you try to analyze can be anything that you can express in data like for example three year old against older, first time turf or a first time out running within a week from the autumnal equinox. Assuming that you have a sufficiently large historical database you must develop a valid algorithm to evaluate whether the factor is significant for betting purposes or not.

Having said this, I have to the conclusion that the most significant handicapping factors are those who involve speed and pace figures as none of the other "primitive" factors can come close neither to the predictability nor the profitability that can be experienced by the use of them.

My advice is to not spend any time and energy towards the estimation of factors similar to the one you are discussing here but instead to focus in the challenging craft of figure creation which is the only one that can make a difference in the long run.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
Ruffian1

Quote:
Q. How does an off track affect a horse wearing blinkers...?

A. As Green80 said, no. It is not a problem. Don't consider it might be one.

Hope that helps.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2017, 06:18 PM   #5
pondman

Quote:
Blinkers are for tinkerers-- when a trainer is just guessing as to how a horse will respond. It's really difficult to put a value on them. Or how a horse will respond if you take them off.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:24 PM   #6
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian1
Q. How does an off track affect a horse wearing blinkers...?

A. As Green80 said, no. It is not a problem. Don't consider it might be one.

Hope that helps.
Ruffian1, I MISS your posts. Your knowledge, history and love for the game is immense

Thank you again for solving my ridiculous knee bandage question.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2017, 07:21 PM   #7
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
Before you ask such a question you need to come up with the mechanism that will allow you to validate it. This mechanism should be applicable to any kind of a handicapping factor that you can describe as a falsifiable statement. The handicapping factor you try to analyze can be anything that you can express in data like for example three year old against older, first time turf or a first time out running within a week from the autumnal equinox. Assuming that you have a sufficiently large historical database you must develop a valid algorithm to evaluate whether the factor is significant for betting purposes or not.

Having said this, I have to the conclusion that the most significant handicapping factors are those who involve speed and pace figures as none of the other "primitive" factors can come close neither to the predictability nor the profitability that can be experienced by the use of them.

My advice is to not spend any time and energy towards the estimation of factors similar to the one you are discussing here but instead to focus in the challenging craft of figure creation which is the only one that can make a difference in the long run.

Come again?
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2017, 07:53 PM   #8
green80

Quote:
If you want something to worry about on off tracks:

What about the horses that have their tails tied up? Is it better that that the tail does not pick up weight from the mud splashed up into it?

What about the horses with wraps? Some say they pick up weight from the water and mud.

I wouldn't let blinkers, wraps or tied tails influence my handicapping on an off track but it gives some handicappers plenty to talk about.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #9
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80
If you want something to worry about on off tracks:

What about the horses that have their tails tied up? Is it better that that the tail does not pick up weight from the mud splashed up into it?

What about the horses with wraps? Some say they pick up weight from the water and mud.

I wouldn't let blinkers, wraps or tied tails influence my handicapping on an off track but it gives some handicappers plenty to talk about.
We all know, many of us just LOVE to just talk! [YT=""]xQy7EXidvEo[/YT]
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2017, 08:59 AM   #10
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Ruffian1, I MISS your posts. Your knowledge, history and love for the game is immense

Thank you again for solving my ridiculous knee bandage question.
Thank you !

I check most days and am always around to help answer questions you or others might have.

The knee bandage question wasn't ridiculous IMO. It was an odd marking for sure .

Happy to help then and anytime for those that might have a question about something that most handicappers don't get the opportunity to experience or are prevented from seeing the whole picture.

Just let me know.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: