Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 01-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
Actor
Librocubicularist

Computer and the Religious thread

I'm wondering if anyone here is following the Religious thread. If so do you realize what's been happening there for the last couple of days?
Actor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2017, 04:46 PM   #2
LottaKash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor
I'm wondering if anyone here is following the Religious thread. If so do you realize what's been happening there for the last couple of days?
Some guy has a knife...
Old 01-09-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
traynor

Quote:
No. Is something happening there? And why should that matter to anyone reading a computer thread? Or--perhaps more interesting--why do you think it should matter (to anyone reading a computer thread)?
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2017, 08:03 PM   #4
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by traynor
No. Is something happening there?
Yes. Something is happening there!
Quote:
And why should that matter to anyone reading a computer thread? Or--perhaps more interesting--why do you think it should matter (to anyone reading a computer thread)?
Have you ever heard of the Turing Test?
Old 01-09-2017, 09:10 PM   #5
DeltaLover

Quote:
Old 01-09-2017, 09:19 PM   #6
Greyfox

Could anyone who starts a thread about another thread be...well....losing it?
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2017, 02:03 AM   #7
traynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Could anyone who starts a thread about another thread be...well....losing it?
An interesting question. Reminds me of a university class a few years back, in which the instructor asked, "Anyone currently in a relationship?" Then, "Anyone WANT to be in a relationship?" At which point the young lady sitting next to me started bouncing up and down, waving her arms, and shouting, "I do! I do!" In an auditorium with something like 300 students. The quest for attention can often take a strange and wondrous (as well as a bit comical) path through life.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:08 AM   #8
traynor

Quote:
Is that a rhetorical question?
Old 01-10-2017, 03:27 AM   #9
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Is that a rhetorical question?
No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test
Old 01-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #10
traynor

Quote:
I am still at a lost as to why anyone would think that a person reading a computer thread would be interested in postings on a "religious" thread. If the postings had any relevance to computers, wouldn't they be posted on a computer thread (rather than on a "religious" thread)? And if they are not relevant to computers, why would a person reading a computer thread be interested?

I don't really care what anyone does or does not post on a "religious" thread. I am more curious why anyone would think it (apparently) necessary to "direct traffic" in a particular direction for no (apparent) reason. Anyone who cared about, or was even slightly interested in, postings on a "religious" thread would already know all about "what has been going on there."

Oh, well. Back to refactoring.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:02 PM   #11
MONEY

Quote:
I am still at a lost as to why anyone would think that a person reading a computer thread would be interested in postings on a "religious" thread.
It is simple, Actor was using a computer to reply to Boxcar's posts in the religious thread.

He thought that it was clever of him to fool Boxcar into arguing with a computer for two days.

Just like a child using the potty by him/herself for the very 1st time, Actor wanted all to go see what he had done.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #12
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY
It is simple, Actor was using a computer to reply to Boxcar's posts in the religious thread.

He thought that it was clever of him to fool Boxcar into arguing with a computer for two days.

Just like a child using the potty by him/herself for the very 1st time, Actor wanted all to go see what he had done.
Close, but it's more than just being clever. It's an experiment to see if boxcar can figure out that he's not talking to a human. Its ultimate purpose is to make a point.

I had intended to run the experiment for a month or until boxcar figured it out, whichever came first. However, the experiment has taken a path that I had not anticipated, although maybe I should have. boxcar seems to be getting quite agitated.

My reason for this thread is to ask if it's time to pull the plug and let boxcar know what's going on. Obviously I cannot ask that on the religious thread since boxcar would see it and the experiment would automatically be over.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:46 PM   #13
traynor

Quote:
Close, but it's more than just being clever. It's an experiment to see if boxcar can figure out that he's not talking to a human. Its ultimate purpose is to make a point.

I had intended to run the experiment for a month or until boxcar figured it out, whichever came first. However, the experiment has taken a path that I had not anticipated, although maybe I should have. boxcar seems to be getting quite agitated.

My reason for this thread is to ask if it's time to pull the plug and let boxcar know what's going on. Obviously I cannot ask that on the religious thread since boxcar would see it and the experiment would automatically be over.
And is that typical of the reasons (and reasoning) evident on the "religious" thread(s)? Why would you consider soliciting (apparently) the opinions of those who have no interest whatsoever in what you are doing as to whether or not you should continue doing it? That seems more than a little peculiar.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #14
highnote

If nothing else, this thread will make me look at the religious thread.

PA will be happy. More eyeball time on his site.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 11:56 PM   #15
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Which post numbers did the computer "dialogue" begin...? I'd like to evaluate the sequence just for fun...
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: