Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Angel Cordero JR

http://www.si.com/vault/1984/04/23/6...re-of-his-life

Came across this article and thought about all the awesome memories that Angel has created for many fans.

What is yours?
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2017, 07:24 PM   #2
BELMONT 6-6-09

Great rider, arguably the best at getting a cheap horse home on the lead.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 01-19-2017 at 01:59 PM.
BELMONT 6-6-09 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2017, 06:24 AM   #3
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

My dad, who never bet jockeys told me many a story of always betting cordero in the last race and bailing out many times. I guess cordero to my dad was what Ramon was to me (the only jockey that ever mattered).
Old 01-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
MonmouthParkJoe

Angel was before my time when I really followed racing. But I can say from my interactions with him on a daily basis this past summer, he is an extremely nice person. Glad to have met and worked with him.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2017, 10:39 AM   #5
Elliott Sidewater

I didn't go to the races in NY very often, but in the 80's I thought Cordero was a very intelligent rider, very attuned to the way a track was playing that day. Also, he rode his mounts the way a handicapper wanted, placed them in the best possible poistion to win if there was a chance to win. His streak of Saratoga riding championships is unrivaled and serves as the mark of a truly great rider.
Elliott Sidewater is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #6
Arapola

Cordero is my all time Favorite.
He was intelligent and aggressive.
He race rode to WIN.
He usually had an affect on the way the race was run.
Arapola is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #7
onefast99

2007 Breeders Cup at MP we sat behind him and Todd Pletcher and the owners of English Channel. My daughter was 7 at the time and he spent 30 minutes telling her about the Breeders Cup and how special of a day it was to all in the horse racing industry.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:41 PM   #8
Prytanis

Watching him ride, almost daily, since 1974 until his retirement i think he was one of the best! He would ride more than his own horse in a race
I would say that he was better than most,including Ramon!
Having said that, Seattle Slew's loss to Exceller was his doing,IMO
Old 01-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #9
LottaKash

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
My dad, who never bet jockeys told me many a story of always betting cordero in the last race and bailing out many times. I guess cordero to my dad was what Ramon was to me (the only jockey that ever mattered).
EMD, your Dad and I were probably on the same "bailout" horses on many an occasion...

I always saved a few bucks for the last race of the day if and when Angel was up...

He always seemed to be live no matter the form or the odds....Many times his ride would be just a really good tuneup race, and I always paid attention to his followup rides, just for that reason alone...

He was like Pittsburgh Phil's favorite rider who was, win or lose, "paid for always tryin his best"...always tryin'....
Old 01-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #10
Elliott Sidewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytanis
Watching him ride, almost daily, since 1974 until his retirement i think he was one of the best! He would ride more than his own horse in a race
I would say that he was better than most,including Ramon!
It's not easy to compare champion riders who didn't compete against each other, but having seen enough of both riders, I'd say Cordero and Dominguez were close on the dirt, but Ramon was the best turf rider I've seen in my life, and I've been at this for a very long time. A long time ago, before he was a household name, I bet a horse Dominguez was riding in a cheap claiming race at Delaware Park and the horse was running so bad that I lowered the binoculars.....and then, about 20 seconds later the track announcer was literally screaming the horse's name as Dominguez came whipping and driving to get up and win by a nose. If a rider can shock a track announcer and a veteran horseplayer like that, you never forget it.
Elliott Sidewater is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #11
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytanis
The 2 toughest horse racing losses of my life didn't involve money. That was one of them. My best friend at the time still jokes that he had me on suicide watch on the ride home after that race.

A big problem for Cordero in that race was that he lost irons on the first turn. There were other things he might have done differently also, but when it's all said and done Cordero was the perfect rider for Slew. Both champions.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:21 AM   #12
Inner Dirt

I think it was the 1987 winter meet at Santa Anita in front and on the rail were the place to be but Angel had just come west and it was his first day. I liked his mount but I was worried he would take a while to adapt to the track. Out of fear I made a rare place bet. Angel whips the horse out of the gate, cuts across the field, gets the lead and the rail and wires the field. I got $5.60 to place instead of the $12 and change the horse paid to win.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2017, 06:32 PM   #13
mannyberrios
easygoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
I think it was the 1987 winter meet at Santa Anita in front and on the rail were the place to be but Angel had just come west and it was his first day. I liked his mount but I was worried he would take a while to adapt to the track. Out of fear I made a rare place bet. Angel whips the horse out of the gate, cuts across the field, gets the lead and the rail and wires the field. I got $5.60 to place instead of the $12 and change the horse paid to win.
What a great story
mannyberrios is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #14
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
And now we have the opposite happening. Jocks who call a track their home, a gold rail appears for weeks, they are lone speed and they rate from the 1st stride to be off the pace and wide.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #15
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
And now we have the opposite happening. Jocks who call a track their home, a gold rail appears for weeks, they are lone speed and they rate from the 1st stride to be off the pace and wide.
Yeah, but isn't that how we build our horses to watch lists?