Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #316
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
National 21 to buy a gun wouldn't have stopped Parkland?
No.

The gun was purchased a year in advance. Hand guns have a 21 age and the majority of murders occur with them and mostly affect the demographic that legally isn't allowed to own them.

The age thing doesn't work.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #317
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Then how are you any different than the guy who buys an AR for an emergency?

I never carry FWIW.
If I don't carry...then I don't feel protected. Whatever "danger" I've ever encountered in my life has always been "on the road"...at "home" I feel safe. A weapon would be of no use to me if it sits in my desk drawer.

Am I the same as the guy who buys an AR? Maybe...but I'm still not foolish enough to think that, by doing so, I am somehow protecting myself against a government attack.

Last edited by thaskalos; 02-20-2018 at 02:48 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #318
fast4522

Long guns I would steer you to a Remington 1100, like it because it fits in Trap shooting and home defense. Females love the AR15, less kick and very easy to master in a formal training setting that believe it or not they are all for.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #319
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
If I don't carry...then I don't feel protected. Whatever "danger" I've ever encountered in my life has always been "on the road"...at "home" I feel safe. A weapon would be of no use to me if it sits in my desk drawer.

Am I the same as the guy who buys an AR? Maybe...but I'm still not foolish enough to think that, by doing so, I am somehow protecting myself against a government attack.
We are products of our environment.

When I was a child my home was broken in to. I can assure my home is not one you want to break into now as it will not end well. As far as not carrying I've never felt the need to except when I was younger working in a pretty rough area. There is a firearm in my car 95% of the time but that is far more a product of my lifestyle than any desire for protection.

As far as why I have a SHTF weapon the answer is simple... Because I can and preparedness is key. Do I ever plan on slugging it out with Marines or National Guardsmen? No, of course not. The more likely event is a power grid failure, earthquake, race riot, flood, terrorist act, you name it.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 02-20-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #320
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Long guns I would steer you to a Remington 1100, like it because it fits in Trap shooting and home defense. Females love the AR15, less kick and very easy to master in a formal training setting that believe it or not they are all for.
For the house I'd recommend a pump over a gas anything but yes a shotgun is a better home defense weapon than a run of the mill AR.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #321
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
The armed insurrection discussion is also interesting though because I think most vastly underestimate the people's chances. Especially with if a sizeable portion of the population were sympathetic towards them.
Plus, not every member of the US armed forces is going to be so gung-ho about going to war against their fellow Americans, whether they be armed or not...which of course is part of your "sizable portion" sympathetic comment.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2018, 03:40 PM   #322
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Plus, not every member of the US armed forces is going to be so gung-ho about going to war against their fellow Americans, whether they be armed or not...which of course is part of your "sizable portion" sympathetic comment.
If 1 out of every 10 Americans who owns a axe went out one night and cut down a pole you would have nationwide anarchy the next morning.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #323
jocko699
Resurrectionist

[QUOTE=elysiantraveller;2279823] The more likely event is a power grid failure, earthquake, race riot, flood, terrorist act, you name it.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with this comment. I am also fully prepared if needed. My AR-15's and handguns have only been used at the range. If God forbid one of the above mentioned does happen my family and I are prepared.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #324
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
Easy for you to say but what about people that lack common sense.
Now you're talking BREEDING control, not GUN control.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #325
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
If 1 out of every 10 Americans who owns a axe went out one night and cut down a pole you would have nationwide anarchy the next morning.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #326
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Ghostbusters References

Point still stands though and history is littered with revolutions. Every global hegemon has been undone by revolution. As your boy says;

"Revolution is the locomotive of history."
- Marx

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 02-20-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #327
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
I don't think there's that many Polish people in this country.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2018, 06:50 PM   #328
chadk66

Quote:
how's it working out in Chicago?
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2018, 09:45 PM   #329
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
You cannot prove that it would.
There a lot of ways to get a gun besides legally.
You are speculating. He could have gotten one from the obama people - they have handed them out freely in the past.

If a guy is going to break the law against murder, what makes you think he will obey a law about buying a gun? Or show up with worse, like bombs?

You guys are looking at this with blinders on and you already have decided what the solution before even defining the problem.

Last edited by Tom; 02-20-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2018, 07:12 AM   #330
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
No surprise there. A girl under 18 could get pregnant and have an abortion (even a 13yo) and not need any parental notice before having the medical procedure (at least in certain states...not sure if this is now a nationwide thing).

The "it takes a village to raise a child" meme is now in full effect.

Eventually, parents won't be necessary at all. The state will fill that role completely.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/20...l-consent.html
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: