Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-24-2020, 03:03 AM   #16
TMQ
Longacres transplant

You can complain about the strategy all you want. But I truely think that some of his ideas are game changing and had the desired effect they were going for. I guarantee he he was paired with some high quality mares that can only help his baby's chances of winning. Giving $100,000 to the owners if their 2 year old wins a MSW attracted some people who wouldn't of bought in other wise. Thats a lot of money.
TMQ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2020, 03:23 AM   #17
horsefan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
The massive publicity campaign goes on and on. Some of the most important races (The SA Derby and Carter come to mind) are among those named for him. There is even some kind of bonus concerning winners of MSW races. This is way beyond advertising a stallion, it is about a man whose ego knows no bounds. I would like to see a major track tell him no.
So somebody who is an American success story pumps money into the sport while the industry is facing rough times with cuts to the purses not to mention facing a worldwide pandemic which means tracks aren't getting handle from in person bettors. The sport needs more people like Jim, and if we have to hear his commercials on heavy rotation to pay for it, so what? I don't see no other silicon valley billionaires pumping money in the sport.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2020, 08:32 AM   #18
Big Peps

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
So somebody who is an American success story pumps money into the sport while the industry is facing rough times with cuts to the purses not to mention facing a worldwide pandemic which means tracks aren't getting handle from in person bettors. The sport needs more people like Jim, and if we have to hear his commercials on heavy rotation to pay for it, so what? I don't see no other silicon valley billionaires pumping money in the sport.

Agree 100%. He is great for the game in a certain respect probably not the easiest guy to train for. People forget that Chuck Simon had Run happy for about 6 months and then he was pulled from him because of Jim wanting to train the horse his way

The problem with the game is there is not enough new blood anywhere. It's one shrinking cult, this media member married to this trainer it goes right down the line and I am not sure that as this cult only gets smaller if things will ever grow let alone improve the issues with the game. They just keep protecting their own. Even those that aren't the problem get propped up because of their connections within the media In addition, it's the same people interviewed, the same trainers who get lauded, same owner's etc. There is nothing new out there in any of the coverage. This goes for owners, trainer, bloodstock, jockeys and horseplayers. Same people on every podcast, interview etc. Then media members will just lash out and laugh about it with their chronies. It's like one big high school click. Obnoxious really. There are trainers out there still that when exposed at some point, media will run for the hills and clam up.

All that said, Jim is great for the game because he takes risks and thinks outside the box, yeah he pays a ton of money for all this stuff but he gets less coverage from pundits than a ton of other people.

It's one of the worst models out there and not sustainable long term. It's not up to guys like Jim to change things. Management and people who make their primary living should really be the ones but they are too scared or comfortable depending on their situation.

Last edited by Big Peps; 06-24-2020 at 08:38 AM.
Big Peps is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2020, 12:26 PM   #19
Jayhawk6191
Having Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Still,if I never hear his name again, I will die Runhappy

Fixed it for ya
Jayhawk6191 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2020, 11:26 PM   #20
taxicab

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
STAR GUITAR!
There's a 200k 2yo SG [Schnell] debuting for Simon Callaghan in the 4th @ Los Al Friday.
Schnell's mare (Wild About Marie) has dropped some quality types........likely helping the auction number.
The race probably comes down to Schnell,and a very promising Keith Desormeaux Goldencents Colt Dyn O Mite.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2020, 10:36 AM   #21
Hoops McCann

who do you like in the Runhappy Kentucky Derby???
Hoops McCann is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2020, 10:05 PM   #22
westny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
westny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2020, 05:51 PM   #23
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab View Post
There's a 200k 2yo SG [Schnell] debuting for Simon Callaghan in the 4th @ Los Al Friday.
Schnell's mare (Wild About Marie) has dropped some quality types........likely helping the auction number.
The race probably comes down to Schnell,and a very promising Keith Desormeaux Goldencents Colt Dyn O Mite.
Schnell won!
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2020, 10:59 PM   #24
taxicab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Schnell won!
It was a good race for him.
Little green in the stretch,but he traveled easily throughout.
Nice Colt.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2020, 10:50 PM   #25
Afleet

I actually cashed on his first winner:

Libertyrun M. Mena
118Lbs
L. Wohlers 49.00 17.60 8.60

Had a measly $7 across the board on him. I normally would wheel this type w/the field in the double a few times but played the super high five instead. No one hit it $.10 Super High Five (13-10-12-8-7) Paid: $0.00

Daily Double in the next paid $2.00 Daily Double (13-5) Paid: $721.20

Damn I'm stupid

This post sponsored by Runhappy
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2020, 02:28 AM   #26
BMustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
I actually cashed on his first winner:

Libertyrun M. Mena
118Lbs
L. Wohlers 49.00 17.60 8.60

Damn I'm stupid

This post sponsored by Runhappy
Damn, I'm even more stupid. I caught the horse in the entries, turned to Indiana Grand for the race, and when the horse took absolutely no money, decided against betting it. He won by six or eight lengths and paid $49.
I sat there with my jaw dropped, missing out on one of the easiest scores in the history of the game.

Why was there no action on this horse???
It was a MacInvale homebred trained by his daughter-in-law who trained Runhappy.
BMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2020, 10:03 AM   #27
dilanesp

How long before a horse by Runhappy wins a race named for him?
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2020, 01:21 PM   #28
NY BRED
GARY

Runhappy

have any maidens sired by Runhappy won?

if not, that speaks legends why this 100,000 k offer has been made..
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2020, 01:52 PM   #29
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY BRED View Post
have any maidens sired by Runhappy won?

if not, that speaks legends why this 100,000 k offer has been made..
Was reading other posts in this thread that difficult...and, by the way, the second sentence is completely wrong. The money was offered as an incentive for people to buy his foals. That, too, was not that difficult to determine.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2020, 05:46 PM   #30
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMustang View Post

Why was there no action on this horse???
It was a MacInvale homebred trained by his daughter-in-law who trained Runhappy.
Your family connections point is valid - but as a clarification, Laura Wohlers is Mattress Mac's sister-in-law.
BarchCapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply