Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-28-2017, 02:04 AM   #1
mostpost

Failure

The Senate this morning failed once again to repeal Obamacare by a 49-51 vote.
Maybe this will finally be an end to this nonsense.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:48 AM   #2
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
Apparently the November elections were lost on you. No one that isn't a yellow dog democrat likes obamacare. It's a dismal failure.

They'll pass something before 2020. I'm glad this failed because there wasn't a suitable sub for the dismal obamacrap in place now. If anything maybe this will get somebody to put together a workable plan. One can hope.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2017, 08:02 AM   #3
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Apparently the November elections were lost on you. No one that isn't a yellow dog democrat likes obamacare. It's a dismal failure.

They'll pass something before 2020. I'm glad this failed because there wasn't a suitable sub for the dismal obamacrap in place now. If anything maybe this will get somebody to put together a workable plan. One can hope.
I know a couple Democrats that said how wonderful it is, till they changed jobs or retired early and then had to use it. Now all of a sudden they think it sucks. All the people who brag about it either aren't using it, or getting subsidies.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2017, 08:36 AM   #4
chadk66

it'll just mean there will be quite a few more liberal republicans replaced with solid conservatives in the mid terms. nothing new
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #5
forced89

Hits me personally. I will once again have to pay the penalty for having a non ACA Compliant policy. The bright side is that my total cost; i.e premium + penalty is less than if I bought an ACA Compliant policy on the Marketplace.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2017, 10:45 AM   #6
woodtoo

Quote:
Not surprised you like a failing healthcare plan.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
Not surprised you like a failing healthcare plan.
ObamaCare would have failed much sooner, at greater expense to rate payers and perhaps to tax payers, if this bill became law. And the Republicans would have gotten the blame for sabotaging it by gutting the funding without providing any kind of replacement.

This bill was a last ditch, poorly thought out effort to just get something passed that the GOP could claim as a win. I am strongly opposed to ObamaCare, but I don't see this bill as any improvement, and it was certain to be a political bomb for the GOP.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #8
Greyfox

Quote:

They'll pass something before 2020.
2020 will be too late if the Republicans want to keep control of Government.
There are mid-terms in 2018.
Obamacare should be Repealed and Replaced before those votes come in.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2017, 11:25 AM   #9
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
2020 will be too late if the Republicans want to keep control of Government.
There are mid-terms in 2018.
Obamacare should be Repealed and Replaced before those votes come in.
The key word here is "replaced". Ronald Reagan once said that the closest thing to eternal life on earth is a government program.

There are millions of people in this country who like ObamaCare, and who now consider it to be an entitlement. They now see their "right" to insurance as threatened by the Republicans. If nothing is done before then, those people are very likely to vote against the GOP in 2018 just out of fear that the Republicans if reelected will mess with their entitlement.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #10
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Hopefully. Of course you mean the nonsense of being unable to eliminate the disease known as Obamacare.

America is not happy with the inability to do what they were elected to do.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2017, 02:37 PM   #11
mostpost

Quote:

Obamacare, while still not perfect has been a resounding success. Twenty million people who did not have coverage before, have it now. You can no longer be thrown off your policy if you get sick. You can no longer be denied coverage because you have a preexisting condition. If you are woman, you no longer have to pay more for the same coverage than a man. Things like annual physicals and natal care are now covered in full.

Your problem, among many others is that you believe the lies you are being fed by the corrupt right wing media. There have not been massive premium increase. Premiums have increased by an average of 4% over the past two years. In the three years prior to the passage of the ACA they increase an average of 11%.

Right wing websites tried to sow confusion by pointing out that some insurers in some markets for some plans have announced increases of 30% to 80%. And, it is true they did. But because we have a marketplace, and an annual open season, people were able to change from those plans to better, cheaper plans. And thanks to the ACA, those who needed it were eligible for subsidies to help them pay those premiums.

Then there was the lie that Exchanges were failing and closing. It was insurance cooperatives that failed not exchanges. Apparently a lot of people don't understand that the exchanges are marketplaces where people can purchases insurance from competing companies. They do not sell insurance.

Coops sell insurance on the exchanges. Some of them failed due to bad business practices. The ACA authorized the formation of the Coops; it does not run them.

Some insurance providers have dropped out of the exchanges, but their are still ample providers. And, if the ACA were to be repealed tomorrow, does that mean the insurers would no longer be able to refuse to service certain areas? Of course not.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #12
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I know a couple Democrats that said how wonderful it is, till they changed jobs or retired early and then had to use it. Now all of a sudden they think it sucks. All the people who brag about it either aren't using it, or getting subsidies.
And I know more than a couple of Democrats who thing it is great. None of which matters. Anecdotal evidence never does.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:45 PM   #13
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced89 View Post
Hits me personally. I will once again have to pay the penalty for having a non ACA Compliant policy. The bright side is that my total cost; i.e premium + penalty is less than if I bought an ACA Compliant policy on the Marketplace.
What you are saying is that you would rather pay a few dollars less to get inadequate coverage as opposed to paying a few dollars more to get good coverage. That forces me to say you are a fool.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #14
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
The key word here is "replaced". Ronald Reagan once said that the closest thing to eternal life on earth is a government program.

There are millions of people in this country who like ObamaCare, and who now consider it to be an entitlement. They now see their "right" to insurance as threatened by the Republicans. If nothing is done before then, those people are very likely to vote against the GOP in 2018 just out of fear that the Republicans if reelected will mess with their entitlement.
There you go again. People pay premiums for insurance. It is not an entitlement.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #15
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Hawsen Arown View Post
Hopefully. Of course you mean the nonsense of being unable to eliminate the disease known as Obamacare.

America is not happy with the inability to do what they were elected to do.
You are not America. Perhaps you are 30% of America. Have you not been paying attention to all the protests against repeal?