Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-17-2016, 01:21 AM   #1
v j stauffer

NEED HELP

Before the Sunshine Millions there was a day of racing at Gulfstream Park which pitted California horses vs Florida Horses.

Of course it was along the same lines as Sunshine Millions but this one had team point totals, cheerleaders and post parades that sounded like prize fight introductions.

Does anybody remember what this challenge day was called?

Thanks.

V J S
Old 01-17-2016, 01:32 AM   #2
RacingFan1992

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,2051307&hl=en

This might help. I don't think there was a formal name for the series.
RacingFan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2016, 02:20 AM   #3
freehouse2002

Its always been called the Sunshine millions, but the format got changed I belive two years ago due to FL breds running right thru the Calbreds year after year. That's why its a statbred series now at each respective track.

freehouse2002
freehouse2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #4
Ruffian1

If it's not the Sunshine Millions, it might be this:

In the mid 90's Bobby Umphrey created the June Jam which later became the Summit of Speed.

He got big name Cal. trainers to ship to Fla. and run in sprints.

Ron McAnally and Gary Jones sent horses because of the friendship Bobby had made with them while he was at Hollywood as well as others.

Bobby helped create other events in Florida as well.

He helped create the Senior Triple, Juvenile showcase, Rocket Man Stakes, and more, but my all time favorite was the starter handicaps for greys and roans only. We laughed so hard about that back in the late 70's when he was asst. racing sec. at laurel under Lou Raffetto , the concept brought tears to our eyes. Years later when he had the chance to do it, he did.

One of my dearest friends. I loved that guy. I sure do miss him.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #5
tanner12oz

I think it was still the sunshine millions
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2016, 10:57 AM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

It was the Sunshine Millions and the races were split between Gulfstream and Santa Anita and the races were for Cal Breds and Florida Breds.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #7
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
It was the Sunshine Millions and the races were split between Gulfstream and Santa Anita and the races were for Cal Breds and Florida Breds.
That's what I recall, and as an aside the NHC final day used to coincide with this day of races.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #8
jimmy m

I also remember a made up series for claiming horses back in the 80s called the Final 14 I think, I really am stretching the memory on this one.It may have been between No and So cal breds.Ran both at Santa Anita and Bay Meadows.One thing I do remember was that the winner at Bay Meadows was a good price and was disqualified with Don or Ron Frazier aboard[again really digging deep in memory bank] for not carrying the Proper weight. This was during the real early days of simulcasting.All I can remember is my Late father throwing his form and tickets every where which was strange because he never showed emotion at the track.Im sure the old timers would remember better.
jimmy m is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2016, 11:42 AM   #9
illinoisbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy m
I also remember a made up series for claiming horses back in the 80s called the Final 14 I think, I really am stretching the memory on this one.It may have been between No and So cal breds.Ran both at Santa Anita and Bay Meadows.One thing I do remember was that the winner at Bay Meadows was a good price and was disqualified with Don or Ron Frazier aboard[again really digging deep in memory bank] for not carrying the Proper weight. This was during the real early days of simulcasting.All I can remember is my Late father throwing his form and tickets every where which was strange because he never showed emotion at the track.Im sure the old timers would remember better.
That would've been Ricky Frazier...and the horse was the good Illinois-bred Tex's Zing.
illinoisbred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #10
jimmy m

It obviously was not for cal breds then if the winner was a Illinois bred.I ment Cal breds based in No Cal and So cal because of course there are no such thing as no cal and So cal breds.

Last edited by jimmy m; 01-17-2016 at 12:03 PM.
jimmy m is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2016, 12:03 PM   #11
illinoisbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy m
It obviously was not for cal breds then if the winner was a Illinois bred.
No...but I think you are correct. This race at Bay Meadows was the finale of some sort of a nationwide series of races where horses earned points.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #12
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Bingo. Wasn't long ago so surprised it isn't remembered.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2016, 12:58 PM   #13
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisbred
That would've been Ricky Frazier...and the horse was the good Illinois-bred Tex's Zing.
It was Ricky Frazier. The horse's name was Alijebaa or something like that.

This was one time at GP. The thing I most remember was each TEAM had cheerleaders that ere assigned to each horse and walked to the post parade with them.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:07 PM   #14
illinoisbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
It was Ricky Frazier. The horse's name was Alijebaa or something like that.

This was one time at GP. The thing I most remember was each TEAM had cheerleaders that ere assigned to each horse and walked to the post parade with them.
Right. I was confused. Tex's Zing,beaten a nose,was put up after the dq.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #15
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG
That's what I recall, and as an aside the NHC final day used to coincide with this day of races.
This is correct. I qualified in 2007 and the guy that won had a big hit in one of those races that put him over the top in what was a pretty low scoring year.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply