Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 11:53 AM   #4066
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Yes, you did. In post #4295 of Religion I you saidYou back pedaled on your claim by limiting it to "doctrinal issues." That allows you to dismiss any contradiction as not being a doctrinal issue.
Yes, I qualified my statement and even in other places have essentially said "in matters of Faith or Practice". A scribal error in numbers or variations in spellings of names are not matters of Faith (doctrine) or Practice. Evangelical Christians have always believed that inerrancy applies to only the original manuscripts. Over the course of many centuries,a small number of copyists errors have occurred which comprise a very tiny percentage of the entire body of scripture. (After all, copyists aren't infallible.) But again....in all my years of study of the scriptures I have never found any contradictions in matters of [the objective] Faith or Practice.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #4067
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Evangelical Christians have always believed that inerrancy applies to only the original manuscripts.
None of which survive.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:18 PM   #4068
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I'm smart enough to know that when it comes to you, I take nothing for granted. After all, you are The Great Equivocator.
You don't even know what equivocation is. Take your own advice and use a dictionary.

You still have not given any reason why one should accept mainstream Christianity while rejecting Mormonism.

Last edited by Actor; 10-09-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:38 PM   #4069
dnlgfnk

Quote:
You don't even know what equivocation is. Take your own advice and use a dictionary.

You still have not given any reason why one should accept mainstream Christianity while rejecting Mormonism.
Boxcar's napping.

Don't know why this is so difficult, unless one is truly ignorant, in the most charitable sense of the word, of basic Mormonism, or simply wants to play Gotcha! This would likely approximate Boxcar's objections.It's an easy read...

http://www.reformationtheology.com/2...nity_a_quo.php

...As for me, I used to keep a copy of Isaiah Bennett's "Inside Mormonism" on my fireplace for those visits, but now just ask, "If "the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints had a two-time loser regarding founding a church in their title, isn't it possible that the current LDS church founded by Joseph Smith could apostatize?"

If the New Atheists constitute mainstream atheism, why should one reject the flavors of Julian Baggini ("The New Atheism gets atheism wrong"), Alain de Botton (Dawkins' approach to unbelief is "aggressive" and "destructive") Tanya Gold ("The secular must accept that not all religion is malice and much despised 'religious' practice"), Douglas Murray (“The more I listened to Dawkins and his colleagues, the more the nature of what has gone wrong with their argument seemed clear. Religion was portrayed as a force of unremitting awfulness, a poisoned root from which no good fruit could grow. It seems to me the work not of a thinker but of any balanced observer to notice that this is not the case. A new … dogma has emerged. And the argument has stalled”), Andrew Brown ("They have two things in common. They are none of them philosophers and, though most are scientists, none study psychology, history, the sociology of religion, or any other discipline which might cast light on the objects of their execration. All of them make claims about religion and about believers which go far beyond the mere disbelief in God which I take to be the distinguishing mark of an atheist"), John Gray ("Fortunately, this type of atheism isn’t the only one that has ever existed. There have been many modern atheisms, some of them more cogent and more intellectually liberating than the type that makes so much noise today"), Jeff Sparrow ("We can save atheism from the New Atheists like Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris")?

Or, why budge from the classical atheism of Nietzsche ("Much less may one suppose that many people know as yet what this event [the death of God] really means -- and how much must collapse now that this faith has been undermined because it was built upon this faith, propped up by it, grown into it; for example, the whole of our European morality"), or reject where Alan Rosenburg claims that the implications of scientism lead, a "nice nihilism"?
Old 10-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #4070
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
Boxcar's napping...
He isn't napping. He is busy googling for "ammunition" from the online fundamentalist sites that he frequents.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #4071
boxcar

Quote:

I gave you the reason. I can explain it to you, but I can't make you understand it.

And, yes, I know all too well what "equivocation" is. It's when one uses equivocal language with the intention to deceive. You're a master at this.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #4072
boxcar

Quote:
Boxcar's napping.

Don't know why this is so difficult, unless one is truly ignorant, in the most charitable sense of the word, of basic Mormonism, or simply wants to play Gotcha! This would likely approximate Boxcar's objections.It's an easy read...

http://www.reformationtheology.com/2...nity_a_quo.php

...As for me, I used to keep a copy of Isaiah Bennett's "Inside Mormonism" on my fireplace for those visits, but now just ask, "If "the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints had a two-time loser regarding founding a church in their title, isn't it possible that the current LDS church founded by Joseph Smith could apostatize?"

If the New Atheists constitute mainstream atheism, why should one reject the flavors of Julian Baggini ("The New Atheism gets atheism wrong"), Alain de Botton (Dawkins' approach to unbelief is "aggressive" and "destructive") Tanya Gold ("The secular must accept that not all religion is malice and much despised 'religious' practice"), Douglas Murray (“The more I listened to Dawkins and his colleagues, the more the nature of what has gone wrong with their argument seemed clear. Religion was portrayed as a force of unremitting awfulness, a poisoned root from which no good fruit could grow. It seems to me the work not of a thinker but of any balanced observer to notice that this is not the case. A new … dogma has emerged. And the argument has stalled”), Andrew Brown ("They have two things in common. They are none of them philosophers and, though most are scientists, none study psychology, history, the sociology of religion, or any other discipline which might cast light on the objects of their execration. All of them make claims about religion and about believers which go far beyond the mere disbelief in God which I take to be the distinguishing mark of an atheist"), John Gray ("Fortunately, this type of atheism isn’t the only one that has ever existed. There have been many modern atheisms, some of them more cogent and more intellectually liberating than the type that makes so much noise today"), Jeff Sparrow ("We can save atheism from the New Atheists like Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris")?

Or, why budge from the classical atheism of Nietzsche ("Much less may one suppose that many people know as yet what this event [the death of God] really means -- and how much must collapse now that this faith has been undermined because it was built upon this faith, propped up by it, grown into it; for example, the whole of our European morality"), or reject where Alan Rosenburg claims that the implications of scientism lead, a "nice nihilism"?
In other words, Mormonism fails the two biblical tests for a true prophet of God. That's the long and short of it, the warp 'n' woof of it, the case against Mormonism in a nutshell.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:15 PM   #4073
boxcar

Quote:
None of which survive.
Really? Who would have ever thought?
Old 10-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #4074
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
He isn't napping. He is busy googling for "ammunition" from the online fundamentalist sites that he frequents.
Ammunition for what? The vast majority of you are already dead.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:23 PM   #4075
thaskalos

Quote:
Ammunition for what? The vast majority of you are already dead.

At least you aren't totally devoid of humor.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:16 PM   #4076
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
What's most impressive, Thaskalos, is that you were able to tear yourself away from the Cub game in order to post. I find myself rooting against the Cards' rivals but good luck.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:34 PM   #4077
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
And, yes, I know all too well what "equivocation" is. It's when one uses equivocal language with the intention to deceive.
Right out of the dictionary. Now google "fallacy of equivocation."
Old 10-09-2017, 11:38 PM   #4078
thaskalos

Quote:
What's most impressive, Thaskalos, is that you were able to tear yourself away from the Cub game in order to post. I find myself rooting against the Cards' rivals but good luck.
I gave them a ZERO chance of repeating at the All-Star break...but they now look like the team of destiny.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:17 AM   #4079
Light
Veteran

OK, I can't resist. You think God is a Cubs fan?

I've been following the playoffs and it does seem like there is some pre destiny going on. Of course nobody can prove it except I did have a premonition during the Yankees game 2 when Arron Hicks hit a 3 run homer. I really sensed it as he was at bat. Then right when the pitcher was looking into the catcher to make the pitch that would end up in the seats, I sensed the play already happened and that somewhere in the pitcher's mind he knew he already had thrown Hicks a home run ball but was not aware of it consciously. This was not speculation that Hicks was going to hit a home run. It was an aware sensation. Yes there was a part of me saying it's just my imagination but at that moment I would have made a bet that he would hit a home run, because the sensation of what I felt was about to happen was stronger than the doubt. When he did hit it, I said out loud I can't believe this stuff is real.

I don't say this to point out my psychic powers but to point out that I do believe everything has already happened but we are not consciously aware of that. That there is much more to the mystery and magic of this life than meets the eye.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:54 AM   #4080
boxcar

Quote:
Right out of the dictionary. Now google "fallacy of equivocation."
In your case, it's no fallacy. You're the real deal Equivocator.

Are you still working on how, when and where Jesus failed the two tests for true prophet of God?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: