Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-12-2021, 04:02 PM   #1
hopbet

OAKLAWN 2ND MARCH 12

How did the WRONG horse get posted and also have his picture taken .
hopbet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2021, 04:58 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2021, 06:33 PM   #3
QuarterCrack

Yeah that was really strange. As you see in the photo CJ put up, the #2 won the race but for some reason the #5 was initially posted as the winner and went to the winners' circle.

If you watch the replay, just before the race went official (but after the winners' circle photo), the announcer said there had been an error and the initial posting of the #5 was incorrect. They ended up correcting it on the board.

But it still is curious how they got it wrong in the first place. And I guess the finish was close enough that when they put up #5 in error, nobody thought it was wrong.

Just a random mistake, I guess.
QuarterCrack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2021, 07:43 PM   #4
wisconsin

Somebody has to be out of a job after this. Somewhere, someone has tickets they threw away. Can't remember if I have ever seen this before.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:49 PM   #5
tbwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
Somebody has to be out of a job after this. Somewhere, someone has tickets they threw away. Can't remember if I have ever seen this before.
It is rare but it seems to happen a few times a year around the country.

Was this even posted official though? Did they pay out on thr 5 before switching?

There was a placing error made at Gulfstream years back that affected the super. One of the placing judges was let go.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2021, 08:00 PM   #6
QuarterCrack

No, I don't believe the wrong number was ever official - the #2 was always the official winner. I think.
QuarterCrack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2021, 09:22 PM   #7
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I just happened to be watching Oaklawn when it happened, and it was never official before being corrected. Vic did say hold all tickets for a very important announcement; I thought there might be a late objection, maybe even by a trainer or something odd like that. But it was a reversal. Pretty odd, for sure.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2021, 11:06 PM   #8
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwinner View Post
It is rare but it seems to happen a few times a year around the country.

Was this even posted official though? Did they pay out on thr 5 before switching?

There was a placing error made at Gulfstream years back that affected the super. One of the placing judges was let go.
A few times A YEAR the wrong number gets placed first and then they switch to another before the official sign? No way.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2021, 11:36 PM   #9
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopbet View Post
How did the WRONG horse get posted and also have his picture taken .
I wondered if I was seeing things and POSTED the o.o.f. on another place.

THANKS for clearing up that mystery
Old 03-13-2021, 01:22 AM   #10
SharpCat

Maybe 10-12 years ago it happened at Maywood Harness. I was at the Jackson OTB in downtown Chicago when it happened. Horse won by a neck but they posted the 1st 2 positions wrong on the board. Sure enough maybe 30 seconds later they made the race official and posted the prices. There were 2 or 3 guys in the joint who quickly ran to the window and cashed losing tickets. Maybe 1-2 minutes later they removed the prices and removed the official sign. Then they put up the correct order of finish and made the race official. It took roughly 45 minutes before prices were posted. I imagine Maywood just had to eat the cost of losing tickets that were actually payed out.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply