Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-19-2016, 11:01 PM   #16
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi
That happened to an outrider at Evangeline a couple years ago after a race, his horse was trotting in front of the grandstand he fell over and onto the track. They brought out the tarp to cover him while they worked on him but died later at the hospital.
1) God rest his soul. Meant no harm to the people that have had that happen.

2) I knew it had happened somewhere at sometime. I believe a jock back 80 years ago. Didn't know about the outrider.

3) If racing people want to get serious with keeping the game alive, INTEGRITY needs to be treated seriously.

Again, sorry to hear that
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2016, 02:12 PM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
If I were in charge, you would be banned for 90 days at all US tracks and Canadian tracks. No excuses, unless you fell off and died of a heart attack.
Honestly, that seems a little harsh. The track should stop dicking around with floating finish lines.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2016, 02:32 PM   #18
chenoa

Good ole' Colby rode a 1M 70YD race day prior, and the day of the incident the 5th race was 1M, he didn't ride the 6th. No excuses, punishment needed.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:34 PM   #19
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Honestly, that seems a little harsh. The track should stop dicking around with floating finish lines.
The punishment needs to be equal to the mistake. The current punishments are too light because this stuff keeps happening. EMDs punishment might be too harsh, so it's somewhere in the middle.

It's also not a lot to ask for the jock to know where the race ends.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2016, 02:35 PM   #20
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
The punishment needs to be equal to the mistake. The current punishments are too light because this stuff keeps happening. EMDs punishment might be too harsh, so it's somewhere in the middle.

It's also not a lot to ask for the jock to know where the race ends.
He should know, I'm not saying he is without blame. But when you run 90% of the route races with the "alternate" finish line I can't place all the blame on the rider.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:46 PM   #21
camourous

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
He should know, I'm not saying he is without blame. But when you run 90% of the route races with the "alternate" finish line I can't place all the blame on the rider.
all the other riders in the race seemed to take their job seriously and know which finish line they were supposed to ride to though
camourous is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #22
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by camourous
all the other riders in the race seemed to take their job seriously and know which finish line they were supposed to ride to though
Like I said, I don't think he is blameless by any means and should be punished. He already blew the winner's share of the purse for himself, but I'm not against a heavy fine as well. Ninety days just seems too severe to me. JMO. I'd give him two weeks and fine him 25k.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:54 PM   #23
RXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by camourous
The guy made one mistake about the finish line and you think he doesn't take his job seriously? Shoemaker screwed up on the same issue and cost his connections the Ky Derby; are you suggesting Shoemaker didn't take his job seriously?
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2016, 03:00 PM   #24
AlBundy33

If it were up to me, I'd give him 30 days in the hole.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:29 PM   #25
chenoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Yeah, but when he rode in a 1M 70YD race the day before, it sure makes you wonder and looks really bad. 30 days minimum.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:59 PM   #26
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Like I said, I don't think he is blameless by any means and should be punished. He already blew the winner's share of the purse for himself, but I'm not against a heavy fine as well. Ninety days just seems too severe to me. JMO. I'd give him two weeks and fine him 25k.
25k? Damn that sounds harsh for mistaking the finish line.

There are a lot of jocks who would never be able to afford that kind of fine. Then again, maybe that's the point of a deterrent.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2016, 04:01 PM   #27
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage

There are a lot of jocks who would never be able to afford that kind of fine. Then again, maybe that's the point of a deterrent.
True, but I know he is a guy that can afford it. I would take that into consideration.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #28
banacek

Where do these fines go anyway? How about that 25K being split into the Win/Ex/TRI/? pools as a carryover in a future race? Then the track is attempting to make some amends to the bettors who were screwed - and at the same time the track would probably get a lot more bet into those pools and they'd actually get something out of it as well. Good press to counteract awful press.
Your little winning streak
banacek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2016, 04:54 PM   #29
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage

His mistake probably cost at least one gambler 25k.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2016, 04:55 PM   #30
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
His mistake probably cost at least one gambler 25k.
Extremely unlikely.