Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 01-30-2005, 11:52 AM   #16
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Note to self: I think I am starting to understand what Getyedon meant when he/she posted about the hostility on this board.....
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2005, 12:27 PM   #17
midnight

I've also used just about everything ATR has to offer except for Devere. It isn't that Devere is or isn't valid. It was probably very good back in the day when WPS betting was the only kind of wagering offered on most races and everything had to be done by hand and visual observation. It's outdated today, in my opinion, since computer programs can crunch the tote numbers available on the internet today and since much of the money is dilluted from the WPS pools and diverted into the exotics. There are better ways of using ATR to analyze tote movement.

Totemaster: with all due respect, your way, as represented on your website, isn't the only way to go about tote analysis. I used your trial for a few days. It might be valid, but I didn't see any positive correlation in it, and I couldn't begin to justify $1 per racecard per day, let alone the $25 per card per day that you were asking on a continual basis. Perhaps others can do better.

I did tote analysis back in the mid 70's and thereafter, and I still use it to a degree. It used to be all a player needed to beat the game. That's not true anymore because there are so many people doing it (most of them incorrectly) that the "live" horse that used to get bet down to 4-1 is now seen by the simulcast players and hammered down to 2-1 where it's no longer profitable. The smarter "insiders" have learned to bet their money through simulcast centers in a way that doesn't show until the race has gone off (hence a possible explanation for the dropdowns from 7-2 to 9-5 that you see so often after the race goes off).
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2005, 12:55 PM   #18
CapperLou
Spot Play Bettor

Midnight:

A great post above!!!

And---you are so right on the money about the insiders & simulcast money coming in so late. Yes---everything has changed--it's just like most other business--you have to keep adapting.

All the best,

CapperLou
CapperLou is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2005, 06:10 PM   #19
Tote Master
Veteran

Well hurrikane, all I did was ask you a simple question? But I see that turned into another "disaster".
Apparently you got caught with your pants down, and then you turn around and call me arrogant? You perpetuate all this B.S., and make conflicting comments about the ATR, but all of a sudden you can’t provide a simple answer. Instead you resort to personal attacks (which I won’t repeat), in an attempt to bolster your credibility. Give me a break. Please don’t glorify yourself as being a friendly and humble person with all your self-serving comments. You attack my providing selections and attempt to scrutinize their ROI, and yet I haven’t seen you do it for anyone else’s. In fact I haven’t seen you offer a selection of your own. I’m not sure what your problem is, or what you have against me, but I really don’t care. My opinions are solidified at the betting window not on any forum.
Quote:
PaceAdvantage
Note to self: I think I am starting to understand what Getyedon meant when he/she posted about the hostility on this board.....
Not to worry. Its unfortunate, but this kind of stuff goes on everywhere. People just love to dish it out in an attempt to boost their egos and gain credibility. Then when they find they’ve over stepped themselves, and have no answers or recourse, they simply resort to personal bashing others who point it out. Its par for the course.
Tote Master is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2005, 06:29 PM   #20
Tote Master
Veteran

Quote:
Midnight
ATR has various screens that perform various functions. The graph screen, for example, allows the user to analyze the straight and exacta pools and their relationships to each other. Another screen carries the history of Win and Exacta (computed) odds on each horse from a user assigned time (up to 20 minutes) down to post time.
Thanks for the clarification. If I understand you correctly, you’re saying that the user must analyze the relationships between the mutual (straight) and exacta pools? My system does it automatically because it is built into the analysis itself. While I am not familiar with all of the other features of the ATR as you described, my feeling is that it leaves too much in the hands of the user. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I find that very convenient. Because if something is misinterpreted by the user, then only he is to blame and not the system he’s trying to use. The mere fact that there’s a (120) page manual gives the impression that it leaves too much open for explanation. Since I don’t have the manual I can’t really qualify that any further.

I also really don’t understand the comments about the mutual pools and the exotics. They’ve been around for as long as I’ve been playing. Granted the Devere system has been around since the 60’s. As I mentioned before, I find it absolutely incredible that anyone could believe that even with a team of observers, that they could possibly gather enough information from the tote board to make a half-way decent analysis, and then on top of it make a rational decision based on that analysis!
Quote:
Midnight
Totemaster: with all due respect, your way, as represented on your website, isn't the only way to go about tote analysis. I used your trial for a few days. It might be valid, but I didn't see any positive correlation in it, and I couldn't begin to justify $1 per racecard per day, let alone the $25 per card per day that you were asking on a continual basis. Perhaps others can do better
On the other hand, my analysis (whether good, bad or indifferent) is being publicly judged based on just “a few days” of usage? You must be joking! I would certainly like to know how you determined that it showed a lack of “positive correlation”. Correlation to what? If it’s to your comprehension of the methods I employ, then I would certainly have to agree. It is impossible to make that determination, simply because I only describe the basic approach to the tote analysis. I wasn’t about to put a (120) page e-manual on-line, so that players have room to justify their own errors in judgment. I’m certainly not going to give away years of work and development by disclosing my detailed approach. Its no wonder that you couldn’t justify the cost with only a few days of use. I have members that have made enough money during the trial period alone (which is free) to justify weeks of usage. They obviously do better because they follow instructions and gain an appreciation for something that was completely outside of their game. They suddenly realize that the tote board is a lot more then just viewing the changing odds.

You’re right! It certainly is not the only game in town, but after hearing about things like the ATR and Devere schemes, like I said, I believe it is light years ahead in both analytical functionality and user friendliness. And the best thing about it is, that the results from every race at every track that’s done are completely documented and stored for future reference. My users don’t have to store a thing, because they have complete access to it. They don’t have to worry about making a mistake, because everything is done for them. If the system has a shortcoming in this race or that, they can simply blame the analysis and not themselves.
Quote:
Midnight
That's not true anymore because there are so many people doing it (most of them incorrectly) that the "live" horse that used to get bet down to 4-1 is now seen by the simulcast players and hammered down to 2-1 where it's no longer profitable. The smarter "insiders" have learned to bet their money through simulcast centers in a way that doesn't show until the race has gone off (hence a possible explanation for the dropdowns from 7-2 to 9-5 that you see so often after the race goes off).
While I can’t speak for those you use alternative systems for analyzing the tote board or how they put them to use, I can say that the so-called “smarter insiders” are not gaining a thing by looking at just the odds. If that’s how they determine they’re play. The insider information that I value is coming from those who are much closer to the game and have more at stake then just a simple wager. Many are under the impression that this "late" money is coming in from a few players wagering heavily. When in fact, its coming from many players wagering at remote off-track and on-line facilities. Besides, I personally enjoy seeing the odds drop down, because more often then not the truly live horse suddenly becomes an overlay. From what I’ve witnessed over the years, “early money” far outweighs “late money”. But, to each his own!

Best of Luck!
Tote Master is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2005, 07:05 PM   #21
Speedster449

Even though it has been a few days since my original post, I appreciate all of the imput. I have gained much information.

Thanks to all.
Speedster449 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2005, 07:36 PM   #22
hurrikane

??
hurrikane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply