Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 01-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #46
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

And I never use speed figures on turf.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:25 PM   #47
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
And I never use speed figures on turf.
That's probably a good idea.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:50 PM   #48
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
That's probably a good idea.
I didn't want to turn the beyer thread into specifically a CC discussion but let me ask you about you thinking CC will 'improve' next time out. Why do you think his next race will be better? Is it just a general feeling that any horse off such a long layoff will be more 'fit' next time or is there something specific about CC you were seeing?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2016, 02:01 PM   #49
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I didn't want to turn the beyer thread into specifically a CC discussion but let me ask you about you thinking CC will 'improve' next time out. Why do you think his next race will be better? Is it just a general feeling that any horse off such a long layoff will be more 'fit' next time or is there something specific about CC you were seeing?
I can't answer specifically for Class, but it is more about intent. He has a huge purse race coming up, why would he be fully cranked to win a weak G2 in January? If you bet every horses that wins off a long layoff will improve next out you're on your way to the poor house. G1 horses are different, and if the field hadn't been so weak for the class Chrome would have probably been worth taking a stand against.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2016, 02:33 PM   #50
classhandicapper

I agree with everything CJ said. Also, his trainer is not someone that generally cranks his horses up off the layoff.

I'm not expecting a huge jump up, but he should be a little fitter.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:34 PM   #51
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

I expect all the better horses in that race to run better next time out. Maybe not big, but better. CC has a lot of time and a long way to go before Dubai. He ran about as well as he could in the San Pasqual, IMO, but expected after a long layoff and a big purse race as the immediate goal. That does not excuse the upgrading of the Beyer in that race though, IMO. It was what it was, poor performances, from all of the top horses. Keep that in mind, don't put any significance on it, and move on.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #52
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I can't answer specifically for Class, but it is more about intent. He has a huge purse race coming up, why would he be fully cranked to win a weak G2 in January? If you bet every horses that wins off a long layoff will improve next out you're on your way to the poor house. G1 horses are different, and if the field hadn't been so weak for the class Chrome would have probably been worth taking a stand against.
I totally understand if that's how you handicap, trusting that the humans have specifically designed it so that the horse will take a step forward the next time. I handicap a different way, all I'm going on his how the horse physically looked in the race, how he galloped out and combine that with my knowledge of the type of situation that lends itself to a horse moving forward off a layoff performance.

CC appeared to be 'weary' on the gallop out, he didnt look like a horse who was ready for more next time. Also, for him to unravel like that without having run fast internally is a red flag to me. Now, I don't know what CC is supposed to look like on gallop outs because I'm not going to spend the time going to see how he looked physically in the past.

To trust these specific connections to have 'saved something' for next time is not something I would be willing to risk money on. I'm banking on that the horse was as good as he could be and didnt save anything for next time. Now, that doesn't mean he can't win next time or even run a much better race, but I think the general consensus is that the horse won while not being 100 pct ready and has more inherent improvement waiting next time. I'm going to go contrarian on this one and say that his gallop out wasnt something that made me think he's going to step forward again. Of course, I'm wrong quite often and I can see and respect anyone who thinks he will step forward.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:42 PM   #53
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I totally understand if that's how you handicap, trusting that the humans have specifically designed it so that the horse will take a step forward the next time. I handicap a different way, all I'm going on his how the horse physically looked in the race, how he galloped out and combine that with my knowledge of the type of situation that lends itself to a horse moving forward off a layoff performance.

CC appeared to be 'weary' on the gallop out, he didnt look like a horse who was ready for more next time. Also, for him to unravel like that without having run fast internally is a red flag to me. Now, I don't know what CC is supposed to look like on gallop outs because I'm not going to spend the time going to see how he looked physically in the past.

To trust these specific connections to have 'saved something' for next time is not something I would be willing to risk money on. I'm banking on that the horse was as good as he could be and didnt save anything for next time. Now, that doesn't mean he can't win next time or even run a much better race, but I think the general consensus is that the horse won while not being 100 pct ready and has more inherent improvement waiting next time. I'm going to go contrarian on this one and say that his gallop out wasnt something that made me think he's going to step forward again. Of course, I'm wrong quite often and I can see and respect anyone who thinks he will step forward.
[YT="Good Luck!"]1zNdw4DaUM8[/YT]
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #54
ultracapper

Quote:

Remember his Preakness run out? There were many a 'capper on this board that said it was a signal of things to come.

It'll be interesting to see where he goes next. Has there been any word yet?
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2016, 02:11 PM   #55
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
[YT="Good Luck!"]1zNdw4DaUM8[/YT]
[YT=""]Uf2LYXjRQ-8[/YT]
Old 01-16-2016, 04:01 PM   #56
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
Remember his Preakness run out? There were many a 'capper on this board that said it was a signal of things to come.

It'll be interesting to see where he goes next. Has there been any word yet?
He's leaving for Dubai on January 21st and will run a prep race overseas, then run in the World Cup.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2020, 09:40 PM   #57
horses4courses

Recent clip from Japan

chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2020, 03:06 PM   #58
Vinnie

Thanks so much for including that excellent clip of Chrome!! Man, I loved watching this big guy perform.

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2020, 03:26 PM   #59
GaryG
Unreconstructed

As a Cal-bred he is right up there with Tiznow, Best Pal, Native Diver and Swaps.