Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 01-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
falconridge
Deceased (1954-2012)

Ducky Drake

Sorry I didn't give this one out, but it was only at about two minutes prior to post time that I learned that Ducky Drake was entered in today's G. Malleah Stakes at Turf Paradise. I had TVG on the tube when my wife screamed "Look, Yobo, it's Ducky Drake!" "Better go bet him, then," I half-joked as I scurried upstairs to register a token wager at my computer. "Neh! [Korean for "yes"], the Better Half approves. A minute later, my wife announces that DD's odds have risen to six to one. I answer that I didn't bet much--only $7--as I hadn't had time to scope the race, money remains tight, and I'm about to drop through the thin ice I've been skating on at work. "You told me you won two hundred dollars the other night; you should bet a hundred on him." Back upstairs as the field loads; point, click--but too late (actually, I was only going to put another eight on the Duckster). Twenty-one and one-fifth seconds later, Ducky Drake must be thirty (that's three zero) lengths behind the leaders, though it's impossible to tell, as the camera can't pan far enough back to pick up the trailer, who's much farther behind the next-to-last runner than that one lags behind the pacesetters. "Oh, no," pessimises the Spouse, "wha' hoppen'?"). Turning for home, he's still not even in the picture. Passing the 3/16 pole, DD is still last. All of a sudden, the namesake begins to make like Pegasus. Well inside the 1/16 pole, DD is still three lengths from the lead, but Wifey's already celebrating: "Got 'im!" And so he did.

"I'm MAD at you," sulks Mrs. Falconridge after the OFFICIAL sign appears (Ducky Drake pays $16.40 to win). "Why don't you listen to me? Besides, that's my money; I told you who to bet."

Reminds me of a scene in Raging Bull. Joe Pesci to a befuddled Bobby DeNiro: "If you win, you win; even if you lose, you win." In my case that's been turned upside down: if I lose, I lose. Even if I win, I still lose.
falconridge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
JustRalph
Just another Facist

try this one.........

The wife and I are sitting down to lunch and we are watching the post parade at AQU. Turf race.

A beauty out of AP Indy looks like a Horse racing God in the post parade. The wife points him out to me. I tell her he looks fantastic. She tells me to "go put some money on him" I tell her I am not going to interrupt lunch for it.

We watch as he picks em up late and pays.........over 80 bucks..........
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
try this one.........

The wife and I are sitting down to lunch and we are watching the post parade at AQU. Turf race.

A beauty out of AP Indy looks like a Horse racing God in the post parade. The wife points him out to me. I tell her he looks fantastic. She tells me to "go put some money on him" I tell her I am not going to interrupt lunch for it.

We watch as he picks em up late and pays.........over 80 bucks..........
Did she ask for the money anyway?
Old 01-24-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW
you got the flow of cash backwards in this house........
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
garyscpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW
It's the real secret of how to win at the races-bet someone else's money.
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply