Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:19 PM   #31
toetoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
Studart vs. Sutherland in a match race ... any horse , doesn't matter !!

The Lady Godiva Stakes, sponsored by YUM ? .

Carol C. is VERY cute also, as is the gal riding in Chicago, that toddlin' town.
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2008, 08:05 AM   #32
jotb

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchell_Racing
She didnt ride any for me,not because I didnt try,I could never get her as she was always taken..She did however gallop a few for me.

The girl rode from 7-19 thru 10-13 at Calder. You ran 30 horses during that period. Out of those 30 races she was in 6 of those races. So, we know for sure in 24 races she didn't have a horse to ride that you were in. The 6 races were as follows:

9-11-08 You ran Preachitpreacher (5th) and went off as the heavy favorite riding Juan Sanchez (Bug rider). She rode Finallydidit (9th) at 28-1. If you reached out for her in this race and couldn't get her, I think her agent (if she had one) made a bad mistake. The trainer she rode for in the race rode her one other time so, I can't see why she woudn't ride for you here.

9-20-08 Flight to Eden (5th) went off at 5-1 and you rode Juan Sanchez. She rode Sky Champion (4th) and went off at 5-1 as well. In this race she rode for Mike Jablow and since she rode quite a few and won for him, I guess it's possible that you couldn't get her services. On the other hand, it would make no sense to reach out for her since Juan Sanchez rode Flight to Eden the 3 previous starts with a win and two thirds. Why would you want to take him off the horse?

10-3-08 Silversandsoftime (6th) going off

at 25-1 riding Juan Sanchez. In this race she rode Rachael's Dancer (2nd) at 3-1 for Barry Rose. This is another race that wouldn't make sense for you to ride her because Sanchez previously win with the horse on 9-12-08. Why would you want to take him off this horse as well?

10-4-08 Transporter (1st) went off at 3-1 coming off a 4 month layoff. Your rider here was the journeyman Manoel Cruz. Her horse went off at 26-1 and beat one horse. Your horse had 3 published works(2 of them were best of the morning) going into the race. There is no way you wanted her to ride this "live" 2yo.

10-9-08 Echo Mountain (8th) went off at 7-1 and you rode a journeyman rider by the name of Wesley Henry Sr. She rode Cacun Cancun (9th) at 5-1 for Manuel Criollo. Your regular rider Sanchez (previously rode Echo twice) had another call in the race (previously rode that filly twice before) so it's possbile you reached out for her in this race and couldn't get her only because Sanchez was taken. Anyway, Sanchez's filly was Scr.

10-11-08 Runnin To The Bar (8th) went off at 36-1 and your rode the journeyman Leroy Nelson. She rode Lake Kerr (6th) at 62-1 for Andy Williams. This trainer has won 6 races in 2 years. You rode Gary Bain (journeyman) the previous 4 times. You probably would have rode him back but Bain has been on the shelf since Oct 4th when he eased Anne's Dancer. If you really wanted to ride the bug for this race, I would think your first choice would have been Sanchez since he was opened for the race. If you really wanted Maylan Studart for this race, I'm pretty sure she would have taken the call.

She might have helped you out in the mornings but that's about it. I think you had plenty of opportunities to put this girl on a couple of live ones if you really wanted to. You've been around a long time and do a fine job with the stock you have but let's be honest here when it comes to Maylan. She certainly was not your first choice when you wanted an apprentice.

Joe
jotb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2008, 09:15 AM   #33
jotb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
I think it's too soon to say that she has no talent, but you are on record. I heard this type of comment about a lot of apprentice riders, including some who are in the Hall of Fame.
Okay, maybe I was a little to harsh on her. I've watched many of her races and can tell you she's not learning from her mistakes and this will be a problem down the road. She's certainly not a strong agressive rider. Watch her whip switching, leg and body positioning and balance.

Many of these apprenctice rider's relocate to a place like NY and don't use the bug to their advantage. Most are not ready (lack experience) and find themselves not riding enough horses and for people that hardly win races. Before you know it, the one year is gone and it's time to go somewhere else. Hey NY is a great place to get exposed but you better have at least one or two outfits behind you before you make the move.

Hopefully this girl will be handled properly and take the necessary advice (from other successful riders) to learn from her mistakes. Some apprenctice riders don't like to take suggestions because of ego and pride. At this point in time, I think she's in the wrong place. It's better to be a big fish in a little pond. I know the colony in NY is not as strong in the winter but you still have to have the clients. Today and tomorrow she's not riding.

Joe
Old 11-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #34
onefast99

I used Arboleda last year and he was a good bug, I would put her on one of my horses decent bugs are hard to find.
onefast99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #35
jotb

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99
I used Arboleda last year and he was a good bug, I would put her on one of my horses decent bugs are hard to find.

You are certainly right about that. Year's ago, many apprenctice riders would ride over hundred horses before they won their 1st race. It's a bit different the last couple of decades. Today a decent apprenctice will win their 5th race before reaching their 50th mount and those wins are usually with horses that are near or on the lead. Some horses that apprentice riders win with, are so much better than the rest of the field, that you and I could probably win on them. You can't get the necessary experience if you are not exposed to all types of horses.

Most agents don't give a crap when it comes to these young inexperienced apprentice riders careers. It's all about the money! They take their books for the year and then find another apprenctice the next year. It's pretty rare to see the agent and apprentice work the next year together. That's one of the reasons why many apprentice riders don't make it after they lose their bug. The agent reaches out for another apprenctice because he knows that he won't be able to move the kid once he loses the weight allowance. Why you may ask? Because that apprentice didn't really have the talent from the get-go. Why ride this new journeyman (with only 1 year under his belt) when you can have a journeyman with many more years of experience.

Supposely, the main reason why apprentice riders services are needed is because the trainer wants to get weight off. Not true in many cases! The main reason is because the apprentice will let the horse run. If there are any physical issues with the horse (and there are tons out there) the answer is to put the bug on, whereas the journeyman (especially if he's never rode the horse before) will give a test ride. Year's ago, (and even now in some cases) trainers that wanted to steal a race (drop a couple levels in class) would put a bug on, so that another trainer might think twice before claiming that horse. I don't think it's done as much today.

Here's an idea for you. The next time you run Algeiba you can give Maylan Studart a shot. You said you would give her a shot. You have a couple of races in the book at the Meadowlands that you can still run in before the meet is over. Are you turning him back in distance?

Joe
Old 11-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #36
john del riccio

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatbastard
'' I saw her save ground wait for a tight opening and shoot up the rail.''

that would be my plan
john del riccio is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #37
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotb
You are certainly right about that. Year's ago, many apprenctice riders would ride over hundred horses before they won their 1st race. It's a bit different the last couple of decades. Today a decent apprenctice will win their 5th race before reaching their 50th mount and those wins are usually with horses that are near or on the lead. Some horses that apprentice riders win with, are so much better than the rest of the field, that you and I could probably win on them. You can't get the necessary experience if you are not exposed to all types of horses.

Most agents don't give a crap when it comes to these young inexperienced apprentice riders careers. It's all about the money! They take their books for the year and then find another apprenctice the next year. It's pretty rare to see the agent and apprentice work the next year together. That's one of the reasons why many apprentice riders don't make it after they lose their bug. The agent reaches out for another apprenctice because he knows that he won't be able to move the kid once he loses the weight allowance. Why you may ask? Because that apprentice didn't really have the talent from the get-go. Why ride this new journeyman (with only 1 year under his belt) when you can have a journeyman with many more years of experience.

Supposely, the main reason why apprentice riders services are needed is because the trainer wants to get weight off. Not true in many cases! The main reason is because the apprentice will let the horse run. If there are any physical issues with the horse (and there are tons out there) the answer is to put the bug on, whereas the journeyman (especially if he's never rode the horse before) will give a test ride. Year's ago, (and even now in some cases) trainers that wanted to steal a race (drop a couple levels in class) would put a bug on, so that another trainer might think twice before claiming that horse. I don't think it's done as much today.

Here's an idea for you. The next time you run Algeiba you can give Maylan Studart a shot. You said you would give her a shot. You have a couple of races in the book at the Meadowlands that you can still run in before the meet is over. Are you turning him back in distance?

Joe
Lezcano is on Algeiba and then he heads to GP. Maylan may go on Maddy's Lion in three weeks at Aqueduct.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:59 PM   #38
cj's dad

Maylan @ Big A 11/6

She has 4 mounts scheduled ranging from a 2/1 entry(M/LFav) in race 1 to a 12/1 - 15/1 - 30/1 in subsequent races.
cj's dad is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2008, 12:03 AM   #39
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
She has 4 mounts scheduled ranging from a 2/1 entry(M/LFav) in race 1 to a 12/1 - 15/1 - 30/1 in subsequent races.
She had a nasty fall at the Big M today...haven't heard any news since.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2008, 12:25 AM   #40
njcurveball

She was released from the hospital, and seems to be ok.

http://www.thebigm.com/racingNewsDetail.asp?newsid=8266

Apprentice jockey Maylan Studart was released from Hackensack University Medical Center after being treated for minor injuries sustained in a racing accident Wednesday afternoon at the Meadowlands.
njcurveball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #41
point given

$131 horse at Big A

joe posted

" Supposely, the main reason why apprentice riders services are needed is because the trainer wants to get weight off. Not true in many cases! The main reason is because the apprentice will let the horse run. If there are any physical issues with the horse (and there are tons out there) the answer is to put the bug on, whereas the journeyman (especially if he's never rode the horse before) will give a test ride. Year's ago, (and even now in some cases) trainers that wanted to steal a race (drop a couple levels in class) would put a bug on, so that another trainer might think twice before claiming that horse. I don't think it's done as much today. "

First career win for Jacquelin Davis on wednesday wiring a turf race for Everrett; robbie davis' daughter. $131
point given is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #42
BUD

WoodWinner!!

She is a walking innuendo.
BUD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2008, 06:22 AM   #43
jotb

Quote:
Originally Posted by point given
joe posted

" Supposely, the main reason why apprentice riders services are needed is because the trainer wants to get weight off. Not true in many cases! The main reason is because the apprentice will let the horse run. If there are any physical issues with the horse (and there are tons out there) the answer is to put the bug on, whereas the journeyman (especially if he's never rode the horse before) will give a test ride. Year's ago, (and even now in some cases) trainers that wanted to steal a race (drop a couple levels in class) would put a bug on, so that another trainer might think twice before claiming that horse. I don't think it's done as much today. "

First career win for Jacquelin Davis on wednesday wiring a turf race for Everrett; robbie davis' daughter. $131

Perfect example here. Going into the race, Everett had previously rode 4 different journeyman riders and each of the performances were dull. Put the "bug" on and Blue Hill Bay wins wire to wire on the turf. I've done business with Scotty and win races for him in the past so, this is really no surprise to me. He's a very crafty trainer and makes due with the stock he has, which is not much. After the race, he was on the phone with me looking for a spot at CT with one of his other horses. He's 12-34 35% at CT.

Joe
Old 11-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #44
peakpros
peakpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99
Lezcano is on Algeiba and then he heads to GP. Maylan may go on Maddy's Lion in three weeks at Aqueduct.
bravo listed now...with lezcano going to one of the favorites....
peakpros is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2008, 09:59 AM   #45
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakpros
bravo listed now...with lezcano going to one of the favorites....
No one was beating chuckies horse tonight he looked good.