Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 08-29-2021, 01:16 PM   #16
Robert Fischer
clean money

Thumbs up

Sure had the measure of that bear Midnight Bourbon, yesterday.

Essential Quality one of the best in his division.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:09 PM   #17
Vinnie

Never does his thing with an exceptional amount of flair, but, man oh man that horse has a big heart. He certainly loves to reach the finish line before his competitors.

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2021, 11:16 AM   #18
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
And there's little quality in the 3yo division and whatever there was is still dwindling.

A "first ballot Hall of Famer" according to Brad Cox (cuz he's been around so many?), apparently because he's consistent enough to beat runners-up that collectively are just 2 for 25 in 2021 (adding in their 2020 records won't make it look any better)...
I'm not going to be critical of a horse that's 8 for 9 with one terrible trip that's also still moving forward all year.

To me this is a horse with just enough speed to get himself into position to win most races and enough stamina/speed late to wear down most horses once he's in position. He's not out there trying to maximize his Beyer or winning margin. Horses like this usually have a little left in the tank. Some people get crazy and project all kinds of greatness off the win record. I'm not one of them. But if need be I think he can run a 110-112 or maybe even a tad higher in the Classic. That's not so bad in the post steroid/Lasix era of racing. The standards are changing.

IMO, someone is going to have to be a lot faster than him and get away from him turning for home to beat him. Knicks Go is fast enough, but that last furlong could be an issue, especially if anyone else with speed shows up.

I liked his race Saturday. It wasn't the strongest Travers we've even seen, but the place horse was loose in a comfortable pace on a track that at a minimum was kind to speed (if not outright biased towards it). It took quite a late kick to get the job done.

Imo, he's not a great horse (at least yet), but he's sure no bum either.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:46 AM   #19
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I liked his race Saturday. It wasn't the strongest Travers we've even seen, but the place horse was loose in a comfortable pace on a track that at a minimum was kind to speed (if not outright biased towards it). It took quite a late kick to get the job done.
Agree on all points, especially this one. It made for easier than average wagering for that track. Nailed that trifecta using the speed but wish I wasn't so complacent with just $2 wager.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2021, 01:08 PM   #20
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post
Agree on all points, especially this one. It made for easier than average wagering for that track. Nailed that trifecta using the speed but wish I wasn't so complacent with just $2 wager.
I just boxed the exacta and took a nap.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:10 PM   #21
burnsy
self medicated

The biggest baddest horses I saw at Saratoga were in the Whitney . Knicks Go and Maxfield are big boys. I looked at Swiss Skydiver next to them and knew she had to run the race of her life to keep up. I posted a nice pic of her but there was no way I was going to bet on her. They were impressive looking specimens. EQ is gonna get tested hard in the next level if looks and size mean anything. Those suckers looked all business in the Paddock.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2021, 07:56 AM   #22
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
The biggest baddest horses I saw at Saratoga were in the Whitney . Knicks Go and Maxfield are big boys. I looked at Swiss Skydiver next to them and knew she had to run the race of her life to keep up. I posted a nice pic of her but there was no way I was going to bet on her. They were impressive looking specimens. EQ is gonna get tested hard in the next level if looks and size mean anything. Those suckers looked all business in the Paddock.
Too bad Mishriff is passing on the classic.

He smashed knicks go into little knicks go pieces.

He’s a true monster.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2021, 10:17 PM   #23
Mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Too bad Mishriff is passing on the classic.

He smashed knicks go into little knicks go pieces.

He’s a true monster.

Allan
The larger question is are you and Dave going to the breeders cup this year. Curious minds want to know. I am not sure I will make it but would give more consideration if you two would be there.

-Mick
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2021, 09:28 AM   #24
LemonSoupKid

If anyone is going give me a heads up and I'll meet you on Friday at some point. I don't post that much around here but have been doing it for years, mainly around Triple Crown events and certainly the BC. I'm not that old which is funny because a lot of people are almost confused if you tell them you are a horse player (here and there) and you aren't at least 65 or older.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2021, 09:31 AM   #25
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
Imo, he's not a great horse (at least yet), but he's sure no bum either.
Exactly. He's lost one race in his life, and it was a stupid 20 horse field. Now, I do understand that the competition isn't the greatest, but I just perused the Classic pre-entries and it's not like we have some monster field this year, either.

I felt that way about most of the races, btw, which is curious. Especially at a random track/surface like Del Mar (historically). Bombs away on BC day!
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2021, 12:13 AM   #26
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSoupKid View Post
Exactly. He's lost one race in his life, and it was a stupid 20 horse field. Now, I do understand that the competition isn't the greatest, but I just perused the Classic pre-entries and it's not like we have some monster field this year, either.

I felt that way about most of the races, btw, which is curious. Especially at a random track/surface like Del Mar (historically). Bombs away on BC day!
agree, this field is so so, though since getting to Brad Cox Knicks Go has moved to another level of good, if he runs to his best races he will win.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2021, 07:22 PM   #27
classhandicapper

Knicks Go is the key to the race for me.

IMO his best race is better than anyone's else's so far, but he's never been at his best when challenged. There are some horses in there that may make him work early. Even if he shakes loose again, he's going to have to carry his speed an extra furlong after outrunning some other quality speed.

I like this 3yo colt crop a lot. They are lightly raced and still moving forward. Even if Knicks Go shakes loose and carries his speed, it's still not a lock that one of the 3yo can't move past him. He's very good on his best day when loose, but he's not great. There's room above him. I think I'll be keying the 3yos unless something about the way the track is playing changes my view or the odds aren't adequate.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:21 PM   #28
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Knicks Go is the key to the race for me.

IMO his best race is better than anyone's else's so far, but he's never been at his best when challenged. There are some horses in there that may make him work early. Even if he shakes loose again, he's going to have to carry his speed an extra furlong after outrunning some other quality speed.

I like this 3yo colt crop a lot. They are lightly raced and still moving forward. Even if Knicks Go shakes loose and carries his speed, it's still not a lock that one of the 3yo can't move past him. He's very good on his best day when loose, but he's not great. There's room above him. I think I'll be keying the 3yos unless something about the way the track is playing changes my view or the odds aren't adequate.
He's a monster.

If Baffert wants to put a stamp on the race and send Medina Spirit on a mission, it makes things interesting.

I thought Knicks Go ran really big in Saudi Cup. Just had Charlatan also running huge to set it up for Mishriff.

The one race on Belmont Day for Knicks Go, I thought was a 'clunker'. He didn't bring his 'A' game/'eat his Wheaties' that day... Re-established as himself since then...

Good hand for Cox, obviously. As far at the thread title - EQ size seems fine, and then when a horse is running huge races you get to a point where none of the eye test stuff matters any more.
Old 11-04-2021, 04:14 PM   #29
bisket

Johnny V already said Medina Spirit is going for the lead. They'll have to catch him. The horse does have lots of stay in his breeding. He didn't show it in the Preakness, but 3 year olds develop over the summer into the fall. we'll see... At Delmar the second flight figures in this race... Essential Quality or Tripoli, but if Medina Spirit runs to breeding he could run away with it like Authentic last year. I wish I could say that about Knicks Go, but he's raced 3 years avoiding this distance. It says something.
bisket is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: