Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-18-2021, 10:01 PM   #1
SG4

Highest priced claiming race NYRA

Hopefully someone with either a really good memory or old database can help me on this, but I'm trying to find out when NYRA ran a race with a 200k or so claiming price, I think they've only done this once & it was probably 25 years or so ago give or take. I think the winner of the race was named Turkey something and up until this evening I was 100% sure I remembered the whole name accurately, but turns out my 100% memory is just as good as my 100% locks at the track
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2021, 10:25 PM   #2
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
Hopefully someone with either a really good memory or old database can help me on this, but I'm trying to find out when NYRA ran a race with a 200k or so claiming price, I think they've only done this once & it was probably 25 years or so ago give or take. I think the winner of the race was named Turkey something and up until this evening I was 100% sure I remembered the whole name accurately, but turns out my 100% memory is just as good as my 100% locks at the track
Hollywood Park ran a $1,000,000 claimer in the mid '80's. There were no claims.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2021, 10:42 PM   #3
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Hollywood Park ran a $1,000,000 claimer in the mid '80's. There were no claims.

That's an impressive tag.

If anyone cares, my memory finally kicked in - Turkey Point was the winner of the race I was trying to figure out, in for 200k at Aqueduct in 1991. Also no claims.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:42 AM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
That's an impressive tag.

If anyone cares, my memory finally kicked in - Turkey Point was the winner of the race I was trying to figure out, in for 200k at Aqueduct in 1991. Also no claims.
https://www.equibase.com/premium/eqb...AY=D&STYLE=EQB
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2021, 01:53 AM   #5
Ray Donovon
Journeyman

Interesting that the race was November 18 and all the starters had run already in November except 1 and he was still off less than a month.
Ray Donovon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2021, 11:46 AM   #6
myohmyjustify

Quote:

In the early 1980s NYRA had such a claiming race for around $200,000 claiming price.

Trainer Robert DeBonis claimed the winning horse out of that race for that amount. I don't know the name of the horse but it was trained by Woody Stephens.
myohmyjustify is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2021, 01:35 PM   #7
SG4

It's fun to go back & see these older charts, but I have some serious questions about some of the accuracy in the data. I think the WPS pool totals must have been converted to Yen or something
Old 02-19-2021, 03:55 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
It's fun to go back & see these older charts, but I have some serious questions about some of the accuracy in the data. I think the WPS pool totals must have been converted to Yen or something
I would bet those pools counted OTB, probably legit.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:53 PM   #9
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I would bet those pools counted OTB, probably legit.
He's talking about the $17 million WPS figure:-)

Yeah, that one is wrong
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2021, 05:08 PM   #10
davew

I find it interesting the purse was $35K. I have seen some much lower statebred claimers run for that much.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2021, 06:01 PM   #11
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
I find it interesting the purse was $35K. I have seen some much lower statebred claimers run for that much.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics inflation calculator $35k in 1981 is equivalent to $105, 234 in 2021 Dollars.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2021, 07:13 PM   #12
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Also-ran Hodges Bay won the $1 million Canadian International a couple of years earlier, so that was a drop off for him. Only time he started for a tag and then switched over to hurdles the rest of his career.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2021, 08:56 PM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
He's talking about the $17 million WPS figure:-)

Yeah, that one is wrong
Ah I missed that one LOL.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:44 PM   #14
classhandicapper

In the old days they used to run ANW1, ANW2, ANW3, an occasional ANW4, and ACL. Then above that were the stakes races. These days they run ANW1, ANW2, and then overnight stakes. I think that has more or less narrowed the gap between solid ALW horses and those non graded and grade 3 races, but also left some of the weaker ALW winners with nowhere to run after they win their ANW2 unless they drop in for a cheaper tag than they may want to run for. This is more or less a way of sticking another condition between ANW2 and the overnight stakes but without the conditions that might make it tougher to fill the races. I’m not sure if it will work, but if it does they should probably consider doing the same thing for state breds even though it’s less of an issue. Typically the state breds have to go into state bred stakes after they win ANW2S, but they can also try open ANW1 if the state bred stakes horses are especially salty.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: