Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-12-2021, 09:11 PM   #16
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Ive been my house in north Houston for going on 6 years now.

The first 3.5-4 years my power went out every 2-3 months. Mostly for less than 12 hours. Of course Harvey was an exception. Out for 2-3 days then out again for a day.

2 years ago my Mother in law and brother in law who live about a half hour from me, called up and we went to the local Generac dealer in north Houston and cut a deal for 3 whole house generators (22 watt?) instead of 11k a piece we paid about $8500 each and got 3 yrs of Maint. And 10 yr warranty included.

Pretty good deal. My power has been out 20 minutes in the last 2 years.........the damn thing has run a total of 12 hours and 99% of that is on the weekly automated test cycle. The electronics on this thing can email you a Maint. Report............so much for needing a generator.

I do feel a little more comfortable watching this weather come in
The house I'm leasing now near Trinity has a natural gas generator beside it, but needs work and a new battery. Never been able to get it to crank. It will power the entire house if running. Owner's in Arkansas, pretty old guy, I'll get it fixed some day...famous last words.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2021, 09:22 PM   #17
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyscpa View Post
Yeah, but you've still got to reset your clocks.

And don't forget the kitties.
Exactly right!

I have my 2 heated feral cat houses out with extra food. I only have 3 ferals now. * not counting the possum. One has already been fixed. One is a male and I’m not sure about the other yet. We scooped up one a few days ago. She has been vetted and is scheduled for spay soon. I already have a home for her.

My game cam catches them going into the heated houses, but they rarely stay more than a minute. I don’t understand that, but I try my best. Maybe in this super cold that’s coming they might camp out a little.

Pic of our latest capture from outside

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20D655C2-1373-47E0-A2D3-CE4DD13B3C84.jpg (586.4 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by JustRalph; 02-12-2021 at 09:24 PM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2021, 09:29 PM   #18
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
We're getting plans drawn up for our last house, and it will include a whole-house generator. Can't decide whether to go with Generac or Cummins.
Go with Cummins. I wanted that but I was in the deal with my in laws so I capitulated.

My engine is actually a Koehler. Has the Generac label though.

I’m partial to Cummins. I’ve seen their engines run forever in so many different vehicles etc. I had a buddy in a band I was in during the 90’s and he had a truck with 325k miles and a Cummins diesel that was bullet proof. He worked for Cummins as a service rep. It outlasted him.......
Old 02-16-2021, 12:11 AM   #19
davew

windmills freeze, power grid brownout, people die

need more windmill technicians
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2021, 02:17 AM   #20
JustRalph
Just another Facist

So far no problems at my place. Power browned out for about 2 seconds once but that’s it.

It’s colder than hell but the wife and I closed the restaurant Sunday night early (when the sleet n rain started about 7p) and stayed closed today. Will be re-opening tomorrow morning (Tuesday)

Been checking on the restaurant via remote cameras. No power failures there either........been lucky so far
Old 02-16-2021, 07:04 AM   #21
woodtoo

Frozen Turbines.jpg
Transitioning to wind will never work up here.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:40 AM   #22
garyscpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
windmills freeze, power grid brownout, people die

need more windmill technicians
Those are the jobs Kerry is talking about.
garyscpa is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2021, 03:52 PM   #23
ElKabong

This cold snap has been the most effective argument against so call green energy. Wind turbines frozen, solar panels in parts of the state have been ineffective

This has been a disaster here and we need to kill the green energy movement immediately. It doesn't work. Hasn't worked. Put people out of jobs. Hold those accountable, and vote
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2021, 04:02 PM   #24
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
This cold snap has been the most effective argument against so call green energy. Wind turbines frozen, solar panels in parts of the state have been ineffective

This has been a disaster here and we need to kill the green energy movement immediately. It doesn't work. Hasn't worked. Put people out of jobs. Hold those accountable, and vote
I think it has a place in the grid, and the technology will surely improve. It is already miles better than even 10 years ago. But it can't be everything, that is for sure.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2021, 04:18 PM   #25
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I think it has a place in the grid, and the technology will surely improve. It is already miles better than even 10 years ago. But it can't be everything, that is for sure.
It has no place here in the state. NG is plentiful, frozen wind turbines were never an issue before it was pushed on us.

Ten years ago I managed a supply chain org for a company that depended on a HD galvanizer south of DFW for quick turns on high volumes (expedite payments were very high), we were knocked off line b/c of the wind turbine industry. They took priority over us and everyone else

That did 2 things... hurt mid sized corporations / companies by shutting us off on turn times. That affected our bottom line, all for the sake of wind turbines. Second, the govt entities had to pay a FORTUNE to HDG companies to overbid us like that. I could go on, but I hope the point gets across. Green energy impacted businesses years ago, now it's impacting households trying to stay warm

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/15/u...blackouts.html

from the link>>>>>> Part of the problem arose when wind turbines in West Texas became frozen. Roughly half of the state’s wind generating capacity was knocked offline, shutting off as much as 10,500 megawatts of wind power, a significant chunk of the state’s total electricity supply.
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden

Last edited by ElKabong; 02-16-2021 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:04 PM   #26
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
It has no place here in the state. NG is plentiful, frozen wind turbines were never an issue before it was pushed on us.

Ten years ago I managed a supply chain org for a company that depended on a HD galvanizer south of DFW for quick turns on high volumes (expedite payments were very high), we were knocked off line b/c of the wind turbine industry. They took priority over us and everyone else

That did 2 things... hurt mid sized corporations / companies by shutting us off on turn times. That affected our bottom line, all for the sake of wind turbines. Second, the govt entities had to pay a FORTUNE to HDG companies to overbid us like that. I could go on, but I hope the point gets across. Green energy impacted businesses years ago, now it's impacting households trying to stay warm

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/15/u...blackouts.html

from the link>>>>>> Part of the problem arose when wind turbines in West Texas became frozen. Roughly half of the state’s wind generating capacity was knocked offline, shutting off as much as 10,500 megawatts of wind power, a significant chunk of the state’s total electricity supply.
Still a small part of the current problem. See image...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210216_170335.jpg (284.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 02-16-2021, 06:40 PM   #27
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
Attachment 29283
Transitioning to wind will never work up here.
not sure if true, but a deicer option for $2K / windmill was available but not purchased.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:05 PM   #28
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Still a small part of the current problem. See image...
Bloomberg Green?
Lol, think I'll pass. Esp since ERCOT has been apologizing for this mess all day long locally. Not winterizing their systems being one reason for sure, but wind power has turned out to be a joke when we NEED energy the most.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:07 PM   #29
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Bloomberg Green?
Lol, think I'll pass. Esp since ERCOT has been apologizing for this mess all day long locally. Not winterizing their systems being one reason for sure, but wind power has turned out to be a joke when we NEED energy the most.
Who didn't know wind power doesn't work in extreme cold? If someone is counting on it now, all I can do is lol.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:33 PM   #30
davew

it sounds like quite a few people have frozen water lines, that could be quite a mess if they break before thawing.