Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-07-2020, 06:43 PM   #31
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Larry is an accomplished, elite announcer. Calling him the BEST in the country is I'm sure very gratifying to him. And a VERY bold statement on your part.

As a huge fan of announcers myself. IMO along with Larry one could list several others who might qualify for that distinction. Pete Aiello, Kurt Becker, John Dooley, Frank Mirahmadi, Dave Rodman, Travis Stone & Michael Wrona just to name a few.
Larry calls the biggest races in the country on national television. Best will always be subjective, but he is certainly the most well known and I'm sure Del Mar would love to have Larry. If Trevor wants to come back I'm sure that will happen, but I'd bet if given truth syrum Del Mar management would say they prefer to keep Larry at this point. JMO of course
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2020, 06:49 PM   #32
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
I think you're right.
Maybe Paul Allen at Canterbury too? 1995 I believe.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:59 PM   #33
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Larry calls the biggest races in the country on national television. Best will always be subjective, but he is certainly the most well known and I'm sure Del Mar would love to have Larry. If Trevor wants to come back I'm sure that will happen, but I'd bet if given truth syrum Del Mar management would say they prefer to keep Larry at this point. JMO of course
I can't disagree with anything you said. Except! Del Mar would prefer Larry. Trevor is a 30 year employee and a beloved member of the Del Mar team. JMO that he's more than welcome for as long as he chooses. When he walks away Larry proved conclusively he'd do a superb job for years to come. As would IMO all of the other names I previously listed. What a thrill, dream come true and honor it would be to just call one race at Del Mar. I've suggested on another forum I would LOVE for them to consider letting me call the Hollywood Derby each year. It would be so much fun to honor the memory of the Track of the Lakes, Flowers & Zenyatta.

I've also shared how much I appreciate DMTC for keeping the Hollywood Derby in it's customary spot as the final Grade 1 3yo Turf race of the year. They deserve massive props.

Truth be told I've actually called many races at Del Mar. Just none over the speaker system. When I was a teenager the immortal Harry Henson arraigned it so I could make practice calls from the roof of the grandstand. After the races he'd always take time to critique them. They were really bad and Harry knew it. He'd tell me the truth but never once in a way that wasn't encouraging that someday I could do it. And he was right. I'm still 100% sure that someday I'll be able to do it. . Thank you Harry Henson RIP.

Last edited by v j stauffer; 12-07-2020 at 07:03 PM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2020, 07:32 PM   #34
castaway01

Guess it's fitting for an unsung guy like Keith Jones that even his tribute thread is no longer about him, but instead the "who is the best announcer/announcers don't mean anything" topic for the 999th time. Too bad Keith can't stay and instead Dilanesp could retire....that topic...but such is life.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2020, 08:13 PM   #35
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

I really couldn't care less about who's announcing where...the only reason I read this last page was because I saw Castaway had a comment. He's usually good for a chuckle--and he didn't disappoint
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2020, 09:03 PM   #36
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Maybe Frank Miramahdi's best line in his famous "Hasta La Vista" call. "Boule D'Or? Boule D'Or Hello!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNLxT4vgQ1Q
Keith Jones has the “ Hello” tag line. Great announcer but not a lot of tag lines like more of the popular announcers through the years have had. Some get by on their voice but when they have the great tag lines to go with it can be pure gold. Larry Lederman is that gold. BTW when announcers mimic other announcers tag lines you know they get much respect. It happens with Mike Battaglia. I often hear announcers using his “ gaining ground “ and “ those two are together” lines more frequently these days. Mike is probably one of the top 10 callers of all time IMO. When a new race caller is introduced to a track it makes me watch the race much differently. With all these retirements over the last few years the tracks don’t seem the same. BTW You don’t hear people mention Phil Saltzman too often but yet he was a great race caller.at Calder...” and their not gonna get him today “..RIP Phil
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2020, 09:43 PM   #37
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Guess it's fitting for an unsung guy like Keith Jones that even his tribute thread is no longer about him, but instead the "who is the best announcer/announcers don't mean anything" topic for the 999th time. Too bad Keith can't stay and instead Dilanesp could retire....that topic...but such is life.
Keith Jones deserves the tribute. Nobody disputes that. But the topic evolved.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2020, 11:16 PM   #38
devilsbag
Prefer to be called Dinny

You must all be a bunch of teenagers. With all due respect to Keith Jones, the voice I most associate with Keystone is Jack Lamar.
devilsbag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2020, 08:48 AM   #39
pandy

I'm going to miss Keith's calls. I wish him the best.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2020, 04:32 PM   #40
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsbag View Post
You must all be a bunch of teenagers. With all due respect to Keith Jones, the voice I most associate with Keystone is Jack Lamar.
If Jack Lamar didn’t call your horse at least three times, that horse was scratched. Lol

Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2020, 05:15 PM   #41
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post
If Jack Lamar didn’t call your horse at least three times, that horse was scratched. Lol
Amazingly the graphics at Parx haven't changed much since then.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:17 PM   #42
dilanesp

Quote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=byTpf1KGxgY
Every time he says "Double Daiquiri" he perks up. Almost as if he is yelling down to the bar to make him one.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:29 AM   #43
devilsbag
Prefer to be called Dinny

A fun fact I remember about Jack Lamar was that he could be heard recreating calls for the show Greatest Sports Legends. In particular, I can remember him on the episode about Kelso.
devilsbag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #44
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Jack Lamar was an absolute trip. Lol. Even before the race started he would give you detailed commentary as to what’s going on in the starting gate.

“A beautiful day here at Keystone with light winds and a few clouds over my right hand shoulder...steady now...(fractious horse) eeeeeeeeasy....starter Russell looking ‘em straight in the eye, wants to be sure before he springs the latch and sends them on their way...ready...THEY’RE OFF!” He was also the best announcer to call tight photos and would even sometimes try to call a dead heat!

Parx has had two wonderful announcers since they opened in 1974 and here’s to hoping that the third one will be just as good!

Here’s one more Jack Lamar call when Broad Brush blew the turn and still won:

https://m.facebook.com/video/video.p...21220&comments

Last edited by Zman179; 12-16-2020 at 06:10 PM.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2020, 06:05 PM   #45
dilanesp

Quote:
Jack Lamar was an absolute trip. Lol. Even before the race started he would give you detailed commentary as to what’s going on in the starting gate.

“A beautiful day here at Keystone with light winds and a few clouds over my right hand shoulder...steady now...(fractious horse) eeeeeeeeasy....starter Russell looking ‘em straight in the eye, wants to be sure before he springs the latch and sends them on their way...ready...THEY’RE OFF!”

Parx has had two wonderful announcers since they opened in 1974 and here’s to hoping that the third one will be just as good!

Here’s one more Jack Lamar call when Broad Brush blew the turn and still won:

https://m.facebook.com/video/video.p...21220&comments
So the track has had more names than announcers?