Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-28-2020, 08:58 AM   #16
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
The pandemic outlook in NY has changed so drastically from when we were debating this a few weeks back, so should the potential for how to handle it. The tricky part is limiting it, enforcing social distancing, and good air circulation if more than just the backyard is open.
Other considerations:

People coming from regions where the virus isn't under control.

The fact that other sports have had bad experiences with "opening up" (e.g., Djokovic's tennis tournament)

Last edited by dilanesp; 06-28-2020 at 09:00 AM.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2020, 09:53 AM   #17
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Other considerations:

People coming from regions where the virus isn't under control.
It's ironic that NY is now quarantining some people from outside the area for 2 weeks .
Old 06-28-2020, 11:48 AM   #18
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
The pandemic outlook in NY has changed so drastically from when we were debating this a few weeks back, so should the potential for how to handle it. The tricky part is limiting it, enforcing social distancing, and good air circulation if more than just the backyard is open.
I was openly ridiculed for suggesting in April that NYC might be the safest place to visit in July and that there shouldn't be a fear of NYC residents traveling to Saratoga.

It would be nice to have a 1 minute test to screen fans before entering.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:56 AM   #19
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I was openly ridiculed for suggesting in April that NYC might be the safest place to visit in July and that there shouldn't be a fear of NYC residents traveling to Saratoga.

It would be nice to have a 1 minute test to screen fans before entering.
I remember.

I don't think I questioned that as a possibility, but I have to admit I am pleasantly surprised NYC did as well as it has. I was expecting it to take longer. Let's hope we aren't celebrating prematurely. There's been a lot more activity the last few weeks (some wanted and some unwanted).

Last edited by classhandicapper; 06-28-2020 at 12:00 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2020, 01:17 PM   #20
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
All this for a virus that kills .02 % of people who contract it.

We are the dumbest country in the world
Yeah I agree. Look at the people complain about mandated masks for businesses.

Don’t shop there if you don’t like masks.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #21
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I was openly ridiculed for suggesting in April that NYC might be the safest place to visit in July and that there shouldn't be a fear of NYC residents traveling to Saratoga...
Let's not count our chickens. NYC just went to phase 2 ten days ago, outdoor dining/bars only. Phase 3 is scheduled for July 6. Florida had trouble making the transition. Phase 3 entails indoor dining/ bars. Could be back to square one. We'll see what happens.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2020, 04:07 PM   #22
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zawaaa View Post
this thread is trash
Log out!
Old 06-28-2020, 04:48 PM   #23
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
Let's not count our chickens. NYC just went to phase 2 ten days ago, outdoor dining/bars only. Phase 3 is scheduled for July 6. Florida had trouble making the transition. Phase 3 entails indoor dining/ bars. Could be back to square one. We'll see what happens.
Not counting chickens, just making observations. I don't think that NY's "success" is from doing a more responsible job with the virus than other states. Frankly, they got their ass kicked and are probably experiencing the effects of the beginning of herd immunity. If Florida, Tex, and AZ can lockdown their most vulnerable citizens they may benefit in the long run from a spike in cases providing immunity to more of their population.

As for going back to square one, shouldn't that require a significant rise in mortality? Mortality up to now has not happened to a random group of people, the vulnerable are well defined. I would hope that NY has by now figured out how best to protect the vulnerable group.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #24
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
All this for a virus that kills .02 % of people who contract it.

We are the dumbest country in the world
For your stat to be correct everyone in the world would have needed to contract it. Where I work my agency alone has had 130 deaths due to COVID; 22 of whom I personally worked with.

Last edited by Zman179; 06-29-2020 at 12:25 PM.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #25
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post
For your stat to be correct everyone in the world would have needed to contract it. Where I work my agency alone has had 130 deaths due to COVID; 22 of whom I personally worked with.
How do you figure? We would need a global death toll of 1.5M at this point.

7.5B people in the world x .0002 = 1.5M

Obviously, what you just stated is false.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:38 PM   #26
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
How do you figure? We would need a global death toll of 1.5M at this point.

7.5B people in the world x .0002 = 1.5M

Obviously, what you just stated is false.
Well the current death rate certainly isn’t .02%. In NY State alone 397,000 people on record contracted the virus with 31,000 people dying from it. That isn’t .02%.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #27
alhattab

Quote:
Well the current death rate certainly isn’t .02%. In NY State alone 397,000 people on record contracted the virus with 31,000 people dying from it. That isn’t .02%.
It’s about 5% worldwide and in US as per the Johns Hopkins map 6/29 (500k deaths/10,200k Worldwide cases and 126k/2,558k US cases)

Last edited by alhattab; 06-29-2020 at 12:57 PM.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2020, 01:17 PM   #28
classhandicapper

Quote:
The problem is most people that have the virus are either asymptomatic or get such slight symptoms, they never go to the doctor and never get tested. In the beginning, there weren't enough tests. So unless you got so sick you needed a hospital, they told you stay home are ride it out without being tested.

According to one very good model, based on antibody testing they've done around NYC, between 25% and 30% of all NYC resident have been infected. That's in the millions.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:31 PM   #29
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Z

My condolences. Hot spots are obviously going to be higher. But the plain fact is, unless you are in one of the dangerous age groups etc then the death rate is .02%

If I remember your occupation correctly, you deal with hundreds of different people every day. And you exchange property with them. You and your co workers are probably in the worst position during this event.

But that doesn’t mean the entire country need be shut down.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:32 PM   #30
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Z

My condolences. Hot spots are obviously going to be higher. But the plain fact is, unless you are in one of the dangerous age groups etc then the death rate is .02%

If I remember your occupation correctly, you deal with hundreds of different people every day. And you exchange property with them. You and your co workers are probably in the worst position during this event.

But that doesn’t mean the entire country need be shut down.
You have a good memory, I work in the NY subway. At one time we were transporting eight million people per day on the trains and buses and as a result so many employees were infected. Unfortunately so many young employees have perished because PPE was not made available. Two of my friends who died were 36 and 41, both leaving behind wives and children. It’s just so mentally crushing to have 22 people that I broke bread with, joked with, worked out problems with, and they’re all gone. I know I’m rambling and I’m sorry.

As far as shutting things down, I do believe that there has to be a way where businesses can function, but with so many people refusing to wear masks it is only going to make everything worse. It isn’t a political statement!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: