Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:15 PM   #1276
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

They made the right call at Del Mar, no way that should be a no contest.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #1277
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I wonder if there's precedent for debris on the track I don't remember a situation like that before at any track. I thought they would make it a no contest myself I'm surprised at the decision.
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #1278
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoer89
I wonder if there's precedent for debris on the track I don't remember a situation like that before at any track. I thought they would make it a no contest myself I'm surprised at the decision.
First, you have to consider that they really don't want to give money back. I'm not being jaded, it is a business.

I've seen much worse be allowed to stand, including loose horses causing all kinds of trouble. Even the Pimlico race where a guy ran on the track was allowed to stand, with only Artax (I believe) being refunded.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #1279
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
First, you have to consider that they really don't want to give money back. I'm not being jaded, it is a business.

I've seen much worse be allowed to stand, including loose horses causing all kinds of trouble. Even the Pimlico race where a guy ran on the track was allowed to stand, with only Artax (I believe) being refunded.
This happened many moons ago at Del mar, I don't remember if it was no contest or not

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WrYuZtG2MqI
Old 11-26-2016, 06:49 PM   #1280
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

I remember that. Think it was my first season. He was swinging at the horse. What an idiot!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2016, 07:58 PM   #1281
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
My thought exactly.

However they lucked out because of the amount of debris. It was so much it affected every horse. If it had affected some and not others it would have been an issue.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2016, 12:58 AM   #1282
no breathalyzer
Veteran

Quote:
This happened many moons ago at Del mar, I don't remember if it was no contest or not

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WrYuZtG2MqI

holly shit! never seen that video before.. they were very lucky there
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2016, 01:45 PM   #1283
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

GP- race#3....Paco on the 4, cuts off the 3 down at the rail, then herds the 5 at least 8 paths out to mid-track. If this isn't a DQ, it's going to be a long meet for me at GP....

EDIT.....There was NO DQ.....long meet for me unless I quit giving GP any action...

Last edited by ReplayRandall; 12-08-2016 at 01:48 PM.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2016, 01:51 PM   #1284
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
GP- race#3....Paco on the 4, cuts off the 3 down at the rail, then herds the 5 at least 8 paths out to mid-track. If this isn't a DQ, it's going to be a long meet for me at GP....

EDIT.....There was NO DQ.....long meet for me unless I quit giving GP any action...
I'm convinced they flip coins are throw darts at Gulfstream. Other times they DQ for very little.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:53 PM   #1285
rsetup
Veteran

The 3 wasn't going anywhere and absolutely nothing there to warrant a look, even.

Waited till the headon as it appeared he severely herded the 5 in the lane. But it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it appeared in the pan shot. What disappoints me is the way Rosario seems to just accept being herded. His horse was on the wrong lead but the never aggressively tried to ride the horse and didn't offer any resistance to the herding. Unfortunately, this is how he rides. Hard to reconcile an otherwise very aggressive rider with one that meekly accepts being herded.
rsetup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2016, 03:36 PM   #1286
SG4

Quote:
If Paco already has his # being left up it's gonna be open season for riders to do whatever they want down there! Watching this replay though, I didn't think that would've been a DQ. Here's the reason why, and if anyone has evidence to the contrary I'd love to see it - for all the complaints about herding, is there any jurisdiction who DQ's for herding when there isn't any actual contact? That's what puts the other rider, in this case Rosario, in such a difficult situation, because either he keeps a straight path & gets bumped & threatens to clip heels or knock his horse about, or he goes with the herding and isn't touched but loses his best chance to win.

With all the twitter access to jocks & other communication tools available, has anyone asked some of them for some comprehensive thoughts on herding & how it's being handled by the stewards & other jocks? If it was as much a concern of theirs as it is of bettors, don't you think it'd be enforced more by now, or are the stewards simply giving them the middle finger?
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2016, 05:59 PM   #1287
SuperPickle

Quote:

I bet the

I'll say this. The was going to win the race. The looked like a open length winner off the turn and hung. Yeah Paco hearded him and intimidated him but he had zero excuse not to go by.

As much as I would have liked to cash the stuff Paco did wasn't the reason he lost.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:01 PM   #1288
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I'm convinced they flip coins are throw darts at Gulfstream. Other times they DQ for very little.
I think they buy into jockey reactions. If Rosario steadies he has a decent shot of getting put up.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:24 PM   #1289
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Bizarre dq at golden gate in the 4th, hard to wrap my head around this one
Old 12-10-2016, 01:19 AM   #1290
SG4

Quote:
Bizarre dq at golden gate in the 4th, hard to wrap my head around this one
Agreed. I asked yesterday for an example of a horse doing herding without contact getting DQ'ed, perhaps I found the jurisdiction which does not allow for this move finally.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply