Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #181
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
WADA is extremely over protective. You don't have to buy it.
"Overprotective" is the correct policy. People in competitive sports are dishonest and will push any edge they are allowed. You don't get ahead in sports by being meek, you get ahead by having a cutthroat personality willing to take advantage of whatever you are given.

WADA acts accordingly. American horse racing regulators, in contrast, are a wholly owned subsidiary of the horsemen and pretend that having a proper drug testing protocol with no loopholes is "overprotective".

These are horses' LIVES we are talking about. There's no such thing as "overprotective".
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2019, 08:07 PM   #182
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
"Overprotective" is the correct policy. People in competitive sports are dishonest and will push any edge they are allowed. You don't get ahead in sports by being meek, you get ahead by having a cutthroat personality willing to take advantage of whatever you are given.

WADA acts accordingly. American horse racing regulators, in contrast, are a wholly owned subsidiary of the horsemen and pretend that having a proper drug testing protocol with no loopholes is "overprotective".

These are horses' LIVES we are talking about. There's no such thing as "overprotective".
Here's a nice illustration of my point about how sports performers push every edge. A Norman Chad column about doping in competitive BRIDGE:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.704af19995ba
Old 03-21-2019, 08:23 PM   #183
chadk66

Quote:

I agree with you. I'm just telling you why WADA believes what they believe about Lasix. It doesn't really matter to them whether it masks or not they ban it because they can and there is really no need for it with humans in training/competition unlike horses.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2019, 08:24 PM   #184
chadk66

Quote:
Here's a nice illustration of my point about how sports performers push every edge. A Norman Chad column about doping in competitive BRIDGE:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.704af19995ba
WTF
Old 03-21-2019, 10:06 PM   #185
GMB@BP

Whats the point of even having a synthetic track, might as well put in two turf courses. No one wants to bet synthetic.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2019, 10:57 PM   #186
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Whats the point of even having a synthetic track, might as well put in two turf courses. No one wants to bet synthetic.
We had plenty of handle on our synthetic tracks in California. And they bet plenty of money at Arlington and Woodbine, as well as Sha Tin and a bunch of European tracks.

Lots of people like betting synthetics.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:55 AM   #187
chadk66

Synthetics weren't around when I trained. And they were all gone by the time I started paying attention to racing again. So I have really no knowledge of them. I find it kind of interesting
Old 03-22-2019, 09:03 AM   #188
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

When was the last time a synth track was installed?
Not beating down the doors to get them up and running.

Part of the problem was that the initial kick-off was handled very poorly be just about every track. Every track had issues. The big selling points were no track bias, always fast,yadda yadda yadda. All proved to be wrong.

I thing there could be uses for them like NYRA getting rid of the inner turf courses and putting in synth track to cut down on the horrendous number to scratches they get when it rains.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #189
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
When Keenland went back to dirt to get the Breeders Cup, their handle actually went DOWN at their first meet on dirt.

Also the breakdown rate is lower on flubber than turf.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2019, 10:36 AM   #190
Thomas Roulston

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
That's all I was referring to.

I also remember the moaning and gnashing of teeth by opinion-makers, including Andy Beyer, that the elimination of biases would result in more predictability, lower win payoffs, and a move downwards towards harness racing levels of interest.

There will never be harness racing levels of interest for thoroughbred racing unless and until the latter adopts harness racing's monodistance format - but maybe that is not something to be laughed at if one studies how routes, at least dirt routes anyway, are getting shorter and shorter; this has been particularly noticeable at Aqueduct since the Inner Dirt Track was replaced by the Outer Turf Course.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #191
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
At the time I do remember the inside speed bias and fast times at Keenland, cant say they had a larger number of fatal breakdowns.

The bias previous to the polytrack installation was discovered to be based upon some elevation differences. Before they installed polytrack they used GPS surveying and discovered a drop in elevation on the back stretch (and perhaps in another place or two). Particularly the drop the backstretch may have led to a lot of horses getting the lead out of the gate and never stopping. There's an article on it somewhere. If I find it I'll post a link.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #192
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Synthetic tracks how does that fit into this Thread on Stronach Group announces ban on race day meds ?

Last edited by bob60566; 03-22-2019 at 10:49 AM.
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2019, 11:24 AM   #193
Thomas Roulston

But can the Stronachs even legally do this?

Doesn't the state have to make any changes in medication rules? And if not, what about Del Mar - and the tracks on the Northern California fair circuit, and Los Alamitos? Might this lead to additional racing dates for these tracks because horsemen will still want to be able to run their horses on Lasix?
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2019, 12:21 PM   #194
taxicab

SI put out an article yesterday on the hot topic.
Graham Motion was asked if Lasix was a performance enhancer.
His response was: "Of course it is".
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2019, 01:51 PM   #195
bob60566
Vancouver Island

It would make sense to ban the use of Lasix on a gradual basis, as many of us have recommended, and the data derived as a result of the TOBA pledge will be useful in those considerations. While we look forward to the day that Lasix becomes a prohibited substance for all horses on race day, we believe Lasix is a performance enhancer and it is necessary to be competitive in the current medication environment.

“As owners, we race our horses in accordance with the rules in place at the jurisdictions in which they run, and Lasix is currently permitted on race day in all domestic racing jurisdictions. Until such time as the rules in this country are changed to conform to policies in most worldwide racing jurisdictions, only our 2-year-olds will compete without Lasix.”

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/r...ance-enhancer/

2013 REPORT. lol

Last edited by bob60566; 03-22-2019 at 01:59 PM.
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply