Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #181
chiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I don't know New York politics as well as California's, but I could certainly see it getting a foothold there too.

Here's a ranking of states with major racing operations based on their likelihood of enacting a ban:

1. California
2. Washington
3. Massachusetts
4. Illinois

5. New Jersey

6. New York
7. Pennsylvania
8. Maryland
9. Florida

610983492735794. Kentucky

Agree, it does not take that much to get a ballot initiative going in Cali and I have to be honest it would not surprise me if it passed. I also think that if Cali goes there will be a domino effect. We would be in real danger if this happens while the economy is going well like it is now. The main argument to keep racing would be the jobs and in a good economy that argument is not as strong.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2019, 07:37 PM   #182
AlsoEligible

I would disagree with Maryland being ranked that high.

The rural areas are largely conservative and likely to take a "let the market decide if racing survives" approach. And the urban democratic areas are already fighting hard to keep Preakness from moving 20 miles away....doubtful that they'd vote to ban it outright, or at least not in large enough numbers for it to pass.

California seems far and away the most likely state to enact a ban.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2019, 08:21 PM   #183
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoEligible View Post
I would disagree with Maryland being ranked that high.

The rural areas are largely conservative and likely to take a "let the market decide if racing survives" approach. And the urban democratic areas are already fighting hard to keep Preakness from moving 20 miles away....doubtful that they'd vote to ban it outright, or at least not in large enough numbers for it to pass.

California seems far and away the most likely state to enact a ban.
I ranked Maryland way down!
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #184
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

According to Brad Free on twitter a horse broke both front legs after it worked this morning on the main and had to be euthanized. Not even sure what to say at this point.
Dahossdaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #185
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahossdaboss View Post
According to Brad Free on twitter a horse broke both front legs after it worked this morning on the main and had to be euthanized. Not even sure what to say at this point.
Yes, Princess Lili B was the next casualty. Unfortunately, there are going to be more down-the-line because the damage was already done long ago from consistently either training and/or racing on a sealed surface.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #186
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 12:26 PM   #187
mike_123_ca

"We're perplexed by what has happened and devasted," said Tim Ritvo

http://www.foxla.com/news/local-news...nta-anita-park
mike_123_ca is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #188
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
When The Associated Press picked up the story about the situation at Santa Anita their reporters wrote about microfractures. (See posts #133 and #134 on page 9.)

I find it interesting -- alarming -- that none of the so called racing journalists writing about the situation at Santa Anita have even mentioned the word microfracture.

Why do you think that is?

Six out of the 21 horses suffering fatal breakdowns at Santa Anita between Dec 26, 2018 and Mar 11, 2019 raced on a sealed surface within a few weeks of their fatal breakdown. (See post #164 on page #11 by Psychotic Parakeet.)

Imo, it's not the track surface. (At least not track surface the way they want us to think about track surface.)

Connect the dots.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 03-14-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #189
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

I’m not sure it’s the surface either. Trainers have been pretty blame free here and they should not be.
Dahossdaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #190
airford1

In the 80's a University was doing bone scans to find a relation to break downs and had some success but nobody want to listen or pay for it.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 01:40 PM   #191
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
I find it interesting -- alarming -- that none of the so called racing journalists writing about the situation at Santa Anita have even mentioned the word microfracture.
I mentioned micro fractures a few days ago. I also mentioned that I was talking to a vet and he said tests have been done to determine how much force is necessary to break an equine leg bone. I don't remember the exact number, but it takes quite a bit of force to break a horse's leg bones. That gives some credence to the micro fracture theory.

I can understand why the racing journalists avoid the issue. First, nobody has confirmed horses that broke down were sent to the track with known micro fractures. Sometimes even x-rays won't pick up smaller fractures. Trainers don't x-ray horses unless there is a good reason. Second, they have to keep good relations with the trainers. Don't talk about micro fractures unless you have some sort of solid proof a horse was sent to track with them.

My suggestion is to look at the reports from the necropsies performed on the horses that break down. They should be able to tell if micro fractures were involved. GET THE NECROPSY REPORTS if they are available.

I watched westerns since I was a kid. If you can ride across the open prairie without injury to the horse ('cept when one hits a durn gopher hole), you can ride around a racetrack.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #192
bello
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
I mentioned micro fractures a few days ago. I also mentioned that I was talking to a vet and he said tests have been done to determine how much force is necessary to break an equine leg bone. I don't remember the exact number, but it takes quite a bit of force to break a horse's leg bones. That gives some credence to the micro fracture theory.

I can understand why the racing journalists avoid the issue. First, nobody has confirmed horses that broke down were sent to the track with known micro fractures. Sometimes even x-rays won't pick up smaller fractures. Trainers don't x-ray horses unless there is a good reason. Second, they have to keep good relations with the trainers. Don't talk about micro fractures unless you have some sort of solid proof a horse was sent to track with them.

My suggestion is to look at the reports from the necropsies performed on the horses that break down. They should be able to tell if micro fractures were involved. GET THE NECROPSY REPORTS if they are available.

I watched westerns since I was a kid. If you can ride across the open prairie without injury to the horse ('cept when one hits a durn gopher hole), you can ride around a racetrack.
Unless of course, the brittle bones are being caused by all the crap ingested in the horse. That is racings not so secret secret that only PETA seems to want to discuss.

Last edited by bello; 03-14-2019 at 01:49 PM.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 02:14 PM   #193
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

How about a very long and hard look at breeding?

This is well beyond being just a track problem.

This filly was a 2nd generation Indian Charlie who ran a grand total of 5 career races; and never ran a race after the Kentucky Derby. Her immediate sire is Indian Gods who was 0 for 6 lifetime.

It is no secret we've had decades long breeding for speed over soundness.

Simply look at Justify who ran 6 career races over a 112 day period and goes straight to the breeding shed for $150K a shot.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 02:15 PM   #194
cutchemist42

Another down and supposedly the media is playing the 2 broken legs to people, hearing from Twitter.

This sport is finished in California unless they do something drastic, as its exposing people who didnt know that horses have some bad deaths on track. The media is just too focused on this now...

Last edited by cutchemist42; 03-14-2019 at 02:25 PM.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #195
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
How about a very long and hard look at breeding?

This is well beyond being just a track problem.

This filly was a 2nd generation Indian Charlie who ran a grand total of 5 career races; and never ran a race after the Kentucky Derby. Her immediate sire is Indian Gods who was 0 for 6 lifetime.

It is no secret we've had decades long breeding for speed over soundness.

Simply look at Justify who ran 6 career races over a 112 day period and goes straight to the breeding shed for $150K a shot.
Yep
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: