Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 07-17-2015, 05:52 PM   #1
grandstander21

The Eddie Read at Del Mar - Selections

Tomorrow is the Grade 1 $400,000 Eddie Read Handicap at Del Mar and we have a good field. Unfortunately, there are rain and thunderstorms in the forecast for Saturday so there's a likely chance we could get a wet turf course. Hopefully it'll be dry, but let's dig deep into this field of seven for tomorrow. (please note, I used TimeformUS PPs to handicap this race)

I really like Finnegans Wake in here. You can throw out that last race in the SA Gold Cup as that was a dirt race, and he is more of a turf horse. In fact, all of his seven wins came on the grass. Earlier this year, he won a couple of grade 2 races at Santa Anita and won the G1 Woodford Reserve Turf Classic on the Kentucky Derby undercard.

I'm going with Midnight Storm for second. He was runner-up in the Shoemaker Mile in Sth. California and he won the Del Mar Derby last year so he has experience over the course.

Power Ped ran third in the G2 San Gabriel and G2 San Marcos, two races in which Finnegans Wake had won. It's unfortunate that he has to face him again, but he's shown he can compete with this kind of company.

For last I'll go with Twentytwentyvision. This is his graded stakes debut. He's won a couple of allowance races at Santa Anita in the spring, but this is a big step in class for him.

MY SELECTIONS
Finnegans Wake
Midnight Storm
Power Ped
Twentytwentyvision

Post time for the Eddie Read is 6:42pm ET/3:42pm PT. Good luck!

Last edited by grandstander21; 07-17-2015 at 05:59 PM.
grandstander21 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
letswastemoney

Nearly impossible race without knowing whether Midnight Storm will duel Big Cazanova or take back.

If Midnight Storm duels Big Cazanova, who is not going to rate, Finnegans Wake will win easily. It might be a little harder if that doesn't happen.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2015, 12:01 AM   #3
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Never been all that impressed with Finnegans Wake. He beat some weak fields at SA on turf that were the same old same olds time in and time out. He is still only 7 for 31 lifetime even after winning 4 of 5 races from November to May.

The Gabriel Charles piques my interest the most. Lightly raced in 2015 and likely pointed towards this one for a big time effort. He has won at this track and distance before and gets Mike Smith that has rode him very well in the past. ML is 5/1, but I think we can get him at 7/1 or better.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2015, 08:49 AM   #4
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Power Ped
Old 07-18-2015, 09:54 AM   #5
Tor Ekman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker

The Gabriel Charles piques my interest the most. Lightly raced in 2015 and likely pointed towards this one for a big time effort. He has won at this track and distance before and gets Mike Smith that has rode him very well in the past. ML is 5/1, but I think we can get him at 7/1 or better.
+1
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
Inglewood Flamingo

Del Mar Weather updates

I live just a stones throw from the track, and while we only got about a half hour of rain, we had more thunder and lightning than I've experienced in the last decade here.

I'm more concerned with how that may impact the horses running today.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
grandstander21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker
Never been all that impressed with Finnegans Wake. He beat some weak fields at SA on turf that were the same old same olds time in and time out. He is still only 7 for 31 lifetime even after winning 4 of 5 races from November to May.

I see what you mean about Finnegans Wake, but 14 of his races have been contested on either a dry or wet main track hence his 7-for-31 record. He's better on turf. Plus, his current turf form is great.

Gabriel Charles may need a little bit more time to develop into the races. He's unraced in 2014 and ran second against allowance company (Midnight Storm was the winner that day). He finished third in the G3 American and this is a tough spot just third off the year-layoff.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
grandstander21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Flamingo
I live just a stones throw from the track, and while we only got about a half hour of rain, we had more thunder and lightning than I've experienced in the last decade here.

I'm more concerned with how that may impact the horses running today.
Thanks for the weather report. I'll rely on you for weather updates until the first post.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

My PFV (Power Form Velocities) ranked selections, without regard to value:

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2015, 01:02 PM   #10
Inglewood Flamingo

10am Weather Report

Overcast with sunny peeking through at times, a cool 79 with slight humidity at 60%.
A gorgeous day for racing.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:47 PM   #11
Ocala Mike

Giving a big shot to the . See him tripsitting in 3rd behind the and , who will hopefully mix it up in the front.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #12
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike
Giving a big shot to the . See him tripsitting in 3rd behind the and , who will hopefully mix it up in the front.
I think Big Casanova gets the lead without being too pressured (turf race) but don't think he can hold on to the wire. Hoping the 2 steps up at the end! My other 2 contenders won't pay anything.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #13
Inglewood Flamingo

Boy how things change quickly. Steady rain, thunder and overcast will likely be off the turf if not already.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:07 PM   #14
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Flamingo
Boy how things change quickly. Steady rain, thunder and overcast will likely be off the turf if not already.
Yeah, with a 60% chance, per the earlier forecast, I figured they would be "off the turf" today. That will change things, and that would favor Big Casanova and Finnegan's Wake. Although I have a feeling Finnegan's Wake needs a breather, and Big Casanova might not have what it takes to last, especially if he gets some pressure early from Midnight Storm, if he doesn't scratch. Probably will pass this race if it comes off the turf.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:02 PM   #15
Fingal

There's a picture on Paulick's site where they're sealing the track at Del Mar. I'll bet that hasn't happened in eons.
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply