Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 04-29-2023, 09:07 AM   #31
JustRalph
Just another Facist

hmmm.......

https://www.facebook.com/reel/235951058809270
Old 04-29-2023, 02:39 PM   #32
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
Two months ago I saw a Twitter exchange between two people in the racing industry.

They were both bemoaning jockey helmets that match the horses saddle cloth color. For example, red for 1, a blue helmet for the 3, yellow for the 4 and so on. So that gamblers watching on TV could better follow thier wagers on horse's.

Traditionally helmet colors match the owner silks. It upset them. To much change.
My early days of racing were at Delta Downs. There were no owner silks. The saddle cloth colors were used as the silks. It did make it easier to follow the horses. But I can understand that owners would not like such a system.

Last edited by ranchwest; 04-29-2023 at 02:41 PM.
ranchwest is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2023, 09:38 PM   #33
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post
So, you're willing to forgive all the umpiring errors that replay has corrected?
It takes a little longer to get things right.
Honestly, when ump replays are on, I switch the channel and if something else catches my attention I'm likely to not switch back for awhile.

I'm probably in the minority, just as I'm one who likes small ball. Why batters swing out of their shoes with runners in scoring position with one or no out is like fingernails on a chalkboard
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2023, 09:41 PM   #34
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
ESPN says there are already stats changes due to this years different rules.

The big one is base stealing is up beyond anything seen since the 1980’s. This is contributing to more “small ball” focus.

You remember, base hits to score runs and less reliance on home runs. You know, baseball!
Amen brother
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
Old 05-01-2023, 06:01 PM   #35
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Amen brother
+1. Nothing against home runs but it's more fun to watch when you know a team has multiple weapons with which to win a game.
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2023, 10:39 PM   #36
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
My early days of racing were at Delta Downs. There were no owner silks. The saddle cloth colors were used as the silks. It did make it easier to follow the horses. But I can understand that owners would not like such a system.
Delta Downs in the 70s must have been a real experience. One story I recall you telling me was the announcer basically giving away the daily double over the PA before the penultimate race (for the jockeys to follow). I think you said it took awhile before the patrons caught on
Old 05-02-2023, 10:45 PM   #37
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
+1. Nothing against home runs but it's more fun to watch when you know a team has multiple weapons with which to win a game.
Before the cardinals of the 80s (fun to watch them take extra bases) there were so many teams that were fun to watch. Early 60s my brother liked the white Sox. Definitely aggressive on the bases, challenging outfielders, laying down bunts and stealing a bag here and there. Pitching, defense, scrap for runs. To me that defined baseball

Edit to add... my first mlb game experience was at old comiskey. My great aunt took me to Chicago via train to visit cousins and go to a game. Sox won 1 zip. Ron Hansen singled in the winning run in the bottom of the 9th. After the game we ran into Johnny weismuller and he took a photo with me. When my wife and I moved to deep east texas I threw the photo in the trash. My wife fished it out. Still have it in the garage. August 1964

Last edited by ElKabong; 05-02-2023 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2023, 11:41 PM   #38
ranchwest

Quote:
Delta Downs in the 70s must have been a real experience. One story I recall you telling me was the announcer basically giving away the daily double over the PA before the penultimate race (for the jockeys to follow). I think you said it took awhile before the patrons caught on
It was a wild place in the 70's and 80's.

That story was about a tri. The horses finished in the wrong order, so there was an inquiry. A horse was taken down because his butt swung a little wide on the first turn, lightly bumping another horse, which happens on nearly every race everywhere. That gave the "right" trifecta, which happened to pay $20 below being a signer. I don't know of that ever becoming common knowledge. The MO would change often. Just one of many interesting nights.

If I gave the full details of that story, nobody would believe it. It's crazy enough as told above.
Old 05-03-2023, 10:58 AM   #39
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Honestly, when ump replays are on, I switch the channel and if something else catches my attention I'm likely to not switch back for awhile.

I'm probably in the minority, just as I'm one who likes small ball. Why batters swing out of their shoes with runners in scoring position with one or no out is like fingernails on a chalkboard

If I don't have anything invested I like to see old fashioned pitchers duels,
and with football low scoring because of dominate defense. That makes me a double oddball.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2023, 11:39 AM   #40
ElKabong

It appears there are more "real baseball fans" than mlb thought.

My wife likes to record and replay ranger games. Mlb product was so bad I couldn't sit down and watch an inning but with the faster pace and emphasis on speed and athleticism, I'm interested again. Win or lose I'm watching what is close to baseball again
Old 05-03-2023, 10:25 PM   #41
TJDave

Quote:
It appears there are more "real baseball fans" than mlb thought.

My wife likes to record and replay ranger games. Mlb product was so bad I couldn't sit down and watch an inning but with the faster pace and emphasis on speed and athleticism, I'm interested again. Win or lose I'm watching what is close to baseball again
I wonder what it would be like to put the clock on the Eckersley/Gibson matchup.