Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-15-2023, 06:23 PM   #1
fast4522

Digital video viewing to top traditional TV in US: forecast

Every year the percentage of cable TV users shrinks, first time this year it went below 80 and every year projections are not looking good.

https://news.yahoo.com/digital-video...110405586.html
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2023, 07:16 PM   #2
chrisl

I really enjoy YouTube. Everything is on there. Want to learn something. there will be a video. Great podcast. I have not really sensed any censoring. They have some pretty far right and left podcast.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2023, 02:51 PM   #3
Inner Dirt

Not me, the best option here is cell internet, on a good day I can stream at 720p, and it will still buffer here and there. If I try to download something it comes in at barely above dial up.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2023, 03:39 PM   #4
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Not me, the best option here is cell internet, on a good day I can stream at 720p, and it will still buffer here and there. If I try to download something it comes in at barely above dial up.
I guess location means something, still learning. Step one cut cable TV, next buy gigabit modem, upgrade to gigabit internet service. Know the amount of internet bandwidth your burning because the offerings blow away cable lineup right away if you skip the crap.
Old 02-16-2023, 04:46 PM   #5
Al Gobbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Every year the percentage of cable TV users shrinks, first time this year it went below 80 and every year projections are not looking good.

not looking good for broadcast and cable tv, already multiple primetime TV shows having no new episodes sometimes during January/February due to lower viewership
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2023, 02:35 PM   #6
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I guess location means something, still learning. Step one cut cable TV, next buy gigabit modem, upgrade to gigabit internet service. Know the amount of internet bandwidth your burning because the offerings blow away cable lineup right away if you skip the crap.

A gigabit.
That is like 200-300x what my average speed is. Since mine is from a cell tower that is close to I-95, the speed is usually terrible during high traffic hours. The only savior is if Elon Musk gets his low orbit satellite internet going here with all the bugs worked out. There are two high orbit satellite companies that serve here but the service is terrible. I used to have one and my closest neighbor had the other.
Old 02-17-2023, 05:27 PM   #7
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
A gigabit.
That is like 200-300x what my average speed is. Since mine is from a cell tower that is close to I-95, the speed is usually terrible during high traffic hours. The only savior is if Elon Musk gets his low orbit satellite internet going here with all the bugs worked out. There are two high orbit satellite companies that serve here but the service is terrible. I used to have one and my closest neighbor had the other.
I did start out with location right? In my area people are paying for 200 MPS when 1 gigabit is only $15 more per month, just because a cable package. I did say I am still learning, no FIOS for your house?
Old 02-17-2023, 07:52 PM   #8
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I did start out with location right? In my area people are paying for 200 MPS when 1 gigabit is only $15 more per month, just because a cable package. I did say I am still learning, no FIOS for your house?

FIOS , Even though I am only 8 miles by road to I-95, let us say the infrastructure here would need to be upgraded to be considered poor.
There is no fiber optic cable within 20+ miles of here. At my I-95 exit there is a McDonalds, Wawa, and Food Lion, so it isn't like I am in no man's land. There are even two stop lights now. I think in town they have very old cable
and slightly further out, DSL. City utilities other than electricity and phone don't go very far off I-95.

This is an area that is very backward, many businesses still advertise in the yellow pages and have no internet presence. The bank I use is about 40 years behind the times, no exaggeration.
Old 02-20-2023, 06:50 PM   #9
fast4522

Regular cable having big problems, streaming company's like Paramount don't seem healthy either.

https://www.thewrap.com/paramount-sh...tone-billions/
Old 02-20-2023, 07:10 PM   #10
zico20

Quote:

If or when cable and satellite go away these streamers will raise their prices well over a hundred dollars like Direct TV and Dish and Comcast are. The programming on streaming will plummet also. These streaming companies can't continue to lose billions every year. They are riding it out for the long term and then they will recoup their money by screwing over the consumers.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:10 PM   #11
fast4522

As recently as 2016, when Trump was narrowly elected president, just over 70 percent of all households with a TV had cable or satellite TV subscriptions. Today the figure is just under 40 percent, according to S&P Global Market Intelligence, a research firm. And it’s dropping fast.

During the first quarter of 2023, another 2.3 million customers (or 7 percent of the total) cut the cord to traditional cable — the fastest cancel-my-subscription pace ever recorded, according to MoffettNathanson, another research firm. The company estimates the number of homes receiving TV via cable is now about the same as it was in 1992, when the industry was still on the rise.

From "The looming existential crisis for cable news"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...ws/ar-AA1bzcJm
Old 05-23-2023, 06:26 PM   #12
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

With the base plan of something like YouTubeTV already pushing $65 a month, it's not like cutting the cord is saving all that much money...

You basically have to forego live TV altogether if you really want to save some cash, which is something many people can do...I for some reason, can't...lol

And I never watch it...it's like a $65+ a month security blanket...I really need to smarten up

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 05-23-2023 at 06:27 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2023, 07:12 PM   #13
fast4522

Many locations have different markets associated and price points. The example here is for $ 80 per month you can have the internet package with a 1 Gigabyte speed and a cell phone plan unlimited calls and text for $17.95 with a 3 year price lock guarantee.

When I started streaming things were rough until I picked up the how to and don'ts. In my previous post it has numbers associated with the trend of cord cutting and news networks dominance in households.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:18 PM   #14
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
With the base plan of something like YouTubeTV already pushing $65 a month, it's not like cutting the cord is saving all that much money...

You basically have to forego live TV altogether if you really want to save some cash, which is something many people can do...I for some reason, can't...lol

And I never watch it...it's like a $65+ a month security blanket...I really need to smarten up
I dropped it. 19.99 a month extra for 4K was my breaking point.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:40 PM   #15
davew

Dish got hacked a couple months back and they did not want to pay ransom. They are probably losing near 5% a quarter
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply