Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #31
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post

DRATS! You just made me spill my hot coffee! :coffee

:
Sorry - should have posted a spoiler alert! LOL
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #32
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor Ekman View Post
. . . you could redistribute all of the wealth in the world to every adult equally and in very short order there would once again be extraordinarily wealthy people and completely destitute people, as well as all gradations in between.
Don't you feel that the financially irresponsible might have learned their lesson...so they could take better care of their money the second time around? For starters...all the horseplayers that I've ever interacted with have emphatically told me that they'd quit gambling for good if they ever "got even".

Last edited by thaskalos; 06-13-2019 at 02:12 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #33
Tor Ekman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Don't you feel that the financially irresponsible might have learned their lesson...so they could take better care of their money the second time around?
Some might but most would revert to their previous level in life. In this regard, lottery winners are an interesting study
Quote:
For starters...all the horseplayers that I've ever interacted with have emphatically told me that they'd quit gambling for good if they ever "got even".
As if !!!
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #34
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
I rarely do so, but I have to agree with Boxcar on this.

https://www.naplesnews.com/story/new...ss/1192702001/
Let's assume that the borrower's in the article never took out a reverse mortgage. Would the result have been different if they didn't pay their property taxes? Of course not, they still would have been foreclosed on. There is no connection between taking out a RM and foreclosure.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:42 PM   #35
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Let's assume that the borrower's in the article never took out a reverse mortgage. Would the result have been different if they didn't pay their property taxes? Of course not, they still would have been foreclosed on. There is no connection between taking out a RM and foreclosure.
People take their reverse mortgage payoff in one lump sum and proceed to blow the money foolhardily. And then, instead of blaming themselves...they blame the reverse mortgage. The homeowner's insurance is probably the smallest bill that a homeowner has to deal with...and yet the people in these articles are complaining that they couldn't stay current with their home insurance premiums, even after receiving their reverse mortgage payments. Come on...
Old 06-13-2019, 07:46 PM   #36
boxcar

Quote:
Yes,there is! They have to insure their house every way but loose to meet the bank's loan requirements. And HO insurance ain't cheap. It adds considerable to their monthly overhead.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:48 PM   #37
garyscpa

Quote:
Yes,there is! They have to insure their house every way but loose to meet the bank's loan requirements. And HO insurance ain't cheap. It adds considerable to their monthly overhead.
You're taking this pretty personally.
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2019, 12:13 AM   #38
AndyC

Quote:
So let me see if I understand you. A person or a couple of seniors who have few assets other than their home would not have homeowners insurance if not for having a mortgage. That would make zero sense. Are you aware of some sort of out-of-the -ordinary insurance demands required for reverse mortgages? What moron wouldn't insure their only valuable asset? For most people, I am sure that you are aware, reduce their monthly overhead because they no longer have to pay their primary mortgage.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #39
Tor Ekman

Like that satirical news flash . . . World to end tomorrow, minorities and women disproportionately effected
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #40
boxcar

Quote:
So let me see if I understand you. A person or a couple of seniors who have few assets other than their home would not have homeowners insurance if not for having a mortgage. That would make zero sense. Are you aware of some sort of out-of-the -ordinary insurance demands required for reverse mortgages? What moron wouldn't insure their only valuable asset? For most people, I am sure that you are aware, reduce their monthly overhead because they no longer have to pay their primary mortgage.
People who cant afford the big insurance nut?

For your info, I do not have HO insurance because to my mind it's a waste of money. No value to it. For me to insure my home in my location, it would run me at least $3,500. a year (and that was a few years ago!). This is why I decided a few years ago to invest in my home instead of enriching the Big Insurance Industry. I spent close to $20,000. upgrading all the openings in my home -- from the smallest windows to the garage door to the double shutters going across double glass sliding doors to my patio. Every single opening was upgraded according to the lastest hurricane codes. In another few years, all those upgrades will have paid for themselves with the money I saved not buying insurance.

Further, many years ago I invested in a metal roof for my house. So, I feel pretty protected. I would lose the roof decking before I'd lose the roof!

Plus we contribute regularly to our Emergency Slush Fund in the event that we should incur damage that runs into the tens of thousands of dollars.

HO insurance, generally, is a big ripoff. And a lot of my mortgage-free neighbors feel the same way.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #41
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyscpa View Post
Well...if you insist...
Old 06-14-2019, 03:36 PM   #42
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyscpa View Post
Can't help himself. He argues everything as he argues for the existence of God.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #43
thaskalos

Quote:
People who cant afford the big insurance nut?

For your info, I do not have HO insurance because to my mind it's a waste of money. No value to it. For me to insure my home in my location, it would run me at least $3,500. a year (and that was a few years ago!). This is why I decided a few years ago to invest in my home instead of enriching the Big Insurance Industry. I spent close to $20,000. upgrading all the openings in my home -- from the smallest windows to the garage door to the double shutters going across double glass sliding doors to my patio. Every single opening was upgraded according to the lastest hurricane codes. In another few years, all those upgrades will have paid for themselves with the money I saved not buying insurance.

Further, many years ago I invested in a metal roof for my house. So, I feel pretty protected. I would lose the roof decking before I'd lose the roof!

Plus we contribute regularly to our Emergency Slush Fund in the event that we should incur damage that runs into the tens of thousands of dollars.

HO insurance, generally, is a big ripoff. And a lot of my mortgage-free neighbors feel the same way.
If I had a heavenly father looking out for me...then I too would cancel my homeowners insurance.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:54 PM   #44
Ocala Mike

This is all boxcar needs:

"No evil shall be allowed to befall you, no plague come near your tent."

Psalm 91:10

Last edited by Ocala Mike; 06-14-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #45
boxcar

Quote:
If I had a heavenly father looking out for me...then I too would cancel my homeowners insurance.
Now, you're cooking with gas.