Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-01-2019, 12:38 PM   #46
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Get it?

IMO, you should have every right to buy a Korean car as long as the trade deal that allows it is balanced and fair enough so that both countries gain.

If it's not, we are trading market share, profits jobs, jobs, and wealth for depreciating cars.

If you think that's a good deal for the US in aggregate I think you are obviously wrong.

It's a good deal for the guy whose job hasn't been shipped out YET because he can still afford to buy that cheaper Korean car he likes and it's a great deal for Korea and Korean workers because they are getting wealthier.
So.... government gets arbitration in how I choose to spend my money... yep... got it.

Nations don't trade with other nations.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2019, 03:27 PM   #47
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
IMO, you should have every right to buy a Korean car as long as the trade deal that allows it is balanced and fair enough so that both countries gain.
And you trust our "leaders" in Washington to make that determination?

Quote:
If it's not, we are trading market share, profits jobs, jobs, and wealth for depreciating cars.
What is this "we"? If he wants to trade his "wealth" for a depreciating car, how is that anyone else's business?
Old 06-01-2019, 03:50 PM   #48
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
What is this "we"? If he wants to trade his "wealth" for a depreciating car, how is that anyone else's business?
It's the party comrade!
Old 06-01-2019, 04:07 PM   #49
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:

Anytime a car, American made or not, is purchased wealth is being traded for a depreciating car, as cars are deprecating assets. The issue is not the freedom to transfer wealth for a deprecating asset or a fleeting pleasure.

The issue is transferring (removing) wealth outside the Country to the detriment of the transferring country.

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 06-01-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2019, 04:08 PM   #50
thaskalos

Quote:
What if our esteemed leader had plenty to recommend him, in that capacity?

https://www.amazon.com/Trump-Art-Dea...s%2C740&sr=1-3
Old 06-01-2019, 04:39 PM   #51
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post

The issue is transferring (removing) wealth outside the Country to the detriment of the transferring country.

The country isn't transferring wealth, the person that earned or created the wealth is. What claim does the country have on that wealth? By your logic, why isn't it to the detriment of the state I live in if I vacation in another state and transfer some of my wealth there in the form of payment for food and lodging?
Old 06-01-2019, 04:46 PM   #52
AndyC

Quote:
The country isn't transferring wealth, the person that earned or created the wealth is. What claim does the country have on that wealth? By your logic, why isn't it to the detriment of the state I live in if I vacation in another state and transfer some of my wealth there in the form of payment for food and lodging?
Money sent out of the country has little chance of being spent over and over again in the US. Federal taxes paid by the suppliers of your food and lodging will help the state that you live in.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:10 PM   #53
elysiantraveller

On a "conservative" board we have people advocating the government determining where individuals spend their money.

Guess I'll cancel my trip to Trinidad because...

Old 06-01-2019, 05:10 PM   #54
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Money sent out of the country has little chance of being spent over and over again in the US.
But it has an extremely high chance of coming back in the form of foreign investment in our economy. Which, by the way, is not yet a command economy, much as some would prefer it.

But again, why is it the business of anyone else how I use the wealth I have legally accumulated?

Quote:
Federal taxes paid by the suppliers of your food and lodging will help the state that you live in.
And if I had spent the money in my own state, the federal taxes paid similarly would help all the other states. So the federal tax is not relevant.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #55
thaskalos

So...our government grabs a large chunk of our income in taxes...and then dictates to us how we should spend the rest. Not exactly the textbook definition of "freedom"...IMO.

Last edited by thaskalos; 06-01-2019 at 05:18 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2019, 05:24 PM   #56
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
We have traversed the territory of a huge trade imbalance over and over.

I only addressed the deflection propaganda, that poster's are against the idea of transferring wealth for depreciable assets.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:25 PM   #57
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
On a "conservative" board
Says who? The NBCR (National Board of Conservative Ratings)?
Old 06-01-2019, 05:28 PM   #58
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Says who? The NBCR (National Board of Conservative Ratings)?
The " " was for effect.

As Thask said... the government should tell us how to spend our money.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #59
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:

But again, why is it the business of anyone else how I use the wealth I have legally accumulated?
Because every action is either benign, beneficial or harmful to other people, be it on the micro scale or the macro scale. If you belong to a society you should want what is best for your society and your actions should reflect your desires for what is best for you and your society and not solely based on self-centered selfish reasons, which cause harm to the society.

That is why societies have rules. The best societies promote benign and helpful actions toward individual people and society as a whole. When a society determines certain policies to be detrimental, those policies have to be halted.

If you live in a society that is the unwritten rule of participating that society.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:43 PM   #60
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
So.... government gets arbitration in how I choose to spend my money... yep... got it.

Nations don't trade with other nations.
The government tells you to spend a portion of your income every year on taxes, so yes. The government tells you cannot spend money on certain items the government classifies as illegal, so yes the government tells you how to spend your money.