Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

View Poll Results: Do you think Maximum Security should have been disqualified in the derby?
Yes 179 48.91%
No 187 51.09%
Voters: 366. This poll is closed

Old 05-05-2019, 07:59 AM   #1
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Maximum Security DQ Question

Do you agree with the stewards? Do you think Maximum Security should have been disqualified?
Redboard is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 08:52 AM   #2
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
If Country House reached the wire first, would Maximum Security still be disqualified/taken down the same way? Country House had every chance to pass Maximum Security but didn't.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:01 AM   #3
AMPHAR

145 was stolen. Plain and simple. Those type of lane changes will happen a hundred times in the CD meet.

It’s the equivalent of a soccer player flopping. Country House wasn’t even interfered with, he posted an objection as a Hail Mary and was rewarded.

I can’t believe people buy into well if it was the 5th race on Wednesday he would come down. BS.

It’s hard to beat NFL bad officiating but they just did.

Last edited by AMPHAR; 05-05-2019 at 09:02 AM.
AMPHAR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 09:10 AM   #4
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPHAR View Post
145 was stolen. Plain and simple. Those type of lane changes will happen a hundred times in the CD meet.

It’s the equivalent of a soccer player flopping. Country House wasn’t even interfered with, he posted an objection as a Hail Mary and was rewarded.

I can’t believe people buy into well if it was the 5th race on Wednesday he would come down. BS.

The complaint should not have stood since CH was not affected. And all that bumping? What do you expect in a 20-horse field? So this has never happened in the previous 144 runnings. Cool.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
Half Smoke

Quote:

I'm hoping Max, who might be a great horse, and his jock win some big upcoming races.

it seems like they've got karma on their side
Old 05-05-2019, 09:26 AM   #6
biggestal99

Good lord. 25 no votes.

This is a one hundred percent foul on war of will. Came over and took his path away.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 09:27 AM   #7
burnsy
self medicated

Handle and interest will go down . Just when they don’t need it. Casual fans are gonna walk from the next two. I’m sour so I won’t bet again til Toga. Plus, it’s bad for future Derbies. Hard for me to ever bet much on it again. These guys are gonna claim objections more now. And there’s bumping almost every year. The horse that got put up...... bumped his way up there. Plan on more 20 minute reviews in the future. People act like this race was close, it really wasn’t.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 09:28 AM   #8
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Good lord. 25 no votes.

This is a one hundred percent foul on war of will. Came over and took his path away.

Allan
Yet his rider did not lodge a complaint.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:29 AM   #9
biggestal99

Quote:

The jockey Long range toddy also raised an an objection.

MS placed behind him for his official placing of 17th.

Allan
Old 05-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #10
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
Handle and interest will go down . Just when they don’t need it. Casual fans are gonna walk from the next two. I’m sour so I won’t bet again til Toga. Plus, it’s bad for future Derbies. Hard for me to ever bet much on it again. These guys are gonna claim objections more now. And there’s bumping almost every year. The horse that got put up...... bumped his way up there. Plan on more 20 minute reviews in the future. People act like this race was close, it really wasn’t.
What do they expect with the sheer size of the field every year? Whose fault is that?
Old 05-05-2019, 09:34 AM   #11
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip@DRF View Post
Not sure why he didn’t, his horse was fouled grievously.

Allan
Old 05-05-2019, 09:42 AM   #12
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

I think the stewards did the right thing, as I’ve been saying in other threads here. Saez knew that 1) no winner has ever been DQ’ed in the derby and 2) Maximum Security had never been passed in all four of his races, all the experts were saying that he would have trouble getting an uncontested lead, and would have trouble holding it. Saez wasn’t going to take that chance.

On the other hand, I can see the other side of the coin here. I agree with a lot of what people have been posting, 1) worse has been let go 2) If the connections were different, they would have let it stand. For example, if it were Bob Baffert/Mike Smith on Maximum Security, no way would they have changed the outcome. 3) If Churchill was really concerned about bumping and interference, why don’t they limit the field to something like 14? Total hypocrisy on their part.

Also, the rule book says that herding it illegal and disqualify-able, regardless of whether it changes the outcome. Stewards should first consider whether there was a foul, if so, they should disqualify that horse, and THEN determine whether it affected the order of finish and proceed to correct if possible. Just because a foul doesn’t change the outcome, doesn’t mean it wasn’t a foul. And a foul is a foul is a foul, regardless of whether the horse was just changing leads or whatever.
Redboard is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #13
AMPHAR

I want my Menifee future bet cashed then if that was an egregious foul on Will.

Country House jockey threw a Hail Mary and was rewarded. Flop.

Good lord and if people are worried about “safety” then don’t have a 20 horse field of 3 year olds with most having very few starts.

There’s always bumping and horses getting cut off especially in the derby. Now you’ve allowed the disaster that is NFL replay into the derby. If you look at the video long enough you will find something that can be described as a foul.

If your 2nd in the derby just throw the flag on the winner and hope.

Last edited by AMPHAR; 05-05-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:51 AM   #14
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip@DRF View Post
I've seen that a lot over the last 12 hours and it is a head-scratcher.

A couple of thoughts:

May be that Gafflione didn't know if he was the one actually at fault since he was trying to secure a spot for his mount at a point in the race where racing room was minimal.

May be that he heard the other two jockeys file objections and didn't feel the need to.

May be that he was a bit gun shy since he was coming off of a 3 day suspension himself.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 09:55 AM   #15
AMPHAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
I think the stewards did the right thing, as I’ve been saying in other threads here. Saez knew that 1) no winner has ever been DQ’ed in the derby and 2) Maximum Security had never been passed in all four of his races, all the experts were saying that he would have trouble getting an uncontested lead, and would have trouble holding it. Saez wasn’t going to take that chance.

On the other hand, I can see the other side of the coin here. I agree with a lot of what people have been posting, 1) worse has been let go 2) If the connections were different, they would have let it stand. For example, if it were Bob Baffert/Mike Smith on Maximum Security, no way would they have changed the outcome. 3) If Churchill was really concerned about bumping and interference, why don’t they limit the field to something like 14? Total hypocrisy on their part.

Also, the rule book says that herding it illegal and disqualify-able, regardless of whether it changes the outcome. Stewards should first consider whether there was a foul, if so, they should disqualify that horse, and THEN determine whether it affected the order of finish and proceed to correct if possible. Just because a foul doesn’t change the outcome, doesn’t mean it wasn’t a foul. And a foul is a foul is a foul, regardless of whether the horse was just changing leads or whatever.
IMO, it was the wrong decision. In any sport it is a simple fact written rules can not and will never keep pace with video.

The NFL has let video replay control it’s game. Now the door is open for the derby. Now the sports mob can review in super slow mo question why isn’t this a foul? Why is that a foul and this isn’t? So on and so on.

For something that minor and with that much race left and that margin of victory horrible call.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: