Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 06-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
Cam

See You At Peelers Stalking Cam Fella Record

See You At Peelers, the amazing harness racing 3 year old filly pacer is compared to the great thoroughbred filly Zenyatta by her trainer Jimmy Takter. See You At Peelers is the talk of the town, country and now the world as she is still perfect in 18 career starts thus far.

She is what the sport of harness racing needs right now and for good reason. Harness racing has always played second fiddle to the thoroughbreds and since the late 80’s the sport of harness racing has lost a lot of its fan base. This is a great time for all fans of horse racing to embrace something that is majestic, and will only get better as Peelers gets closer to the 28-consecutive win streak held by Cam Fella, aptly named “The Pacing Machine.”

Read more...
Old 06-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
pandy

Hype

I hate to say this but I think Peelers is probably not as good as it seems. She won a lot of races against a weak group of NY breds in sire stakes last year. In the Breeders Cup elimination she inherited the lead when the leader broke. In the Rooney it was a terrible field and the pace was so slow it was almost hard to believe. Then in the Fan Hanover the drivers let her walk to the lead again. My guess is that Krispy Apple will beat her soon. She is overrated and it's too soon to compare her to Zenyatta or Cam Fella, two of the greatest horses of all time.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
Hanover1

Lets get past the Jug first......
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
I hate to say this but I think Peelers is probably not as good as it seems. She won a lot of races against a weak group of NY breds in sire stakes last year. In the Breeders Cup elimination she inherited the lead when the leader broke. In the Rooney it was a terrible field and the pace was so slow it was almost hard to believe. Then in the Fan Hanover the drivers let her walk to the lead again. My guess is that Krispy Apple will beat her soon. She is overrated and it's too soon to compare her to Zenyatta or Cam Fella, two of the greatest horses of all time.
She beat Krispy Apple convicingly and you can't suggest this horse is overrated by any means when you win 18 in a row.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
pandy

I thought Krispy had a much tougher trip. Peelers was allowed to quarter-move and get the lead easily then Krispy had to go first over and paced a :54.2 last half in only her 8th lifetime start. She has a lot of room to improve. Winning 18 in a row in harness racing is not as impressive as thoroughbred racing, a ton of horses have had long winning streaks in harness racing, very few in thoroughbred racing. Time will tell but my gut feeling is that Peelers is going to go down at 1-9 soon and a lot of people will be disappointed.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
sonnyp

Quote:
I thought Krispy had a much tougher trip. Peelers was allowed to quarter-move and get the lead easily then Krispy had to go first over and paced a :54.2 last half in only her 8th lifetime start. She has a lot of room to improve. Winning 18 in a row in harness racing is not as impressive as thoroughbred racing, a ton of horses have had long winning streaks in harness racing, very few in thoroughbred racing. Time will tell but my gut feeling is that Peelers is going to go down at 1-9 soon and a lot of people will be disappointed.

i'll agree if you're racing in a series, sires stakes, age and sex limited, if you are the best.....a string of wins is likely. she did go against the boys but caught a horrible field as you said.

one big hurdle she seems to have made is the 2 yo to 3 yo transition where some simply don't mature.

i watched krispy apple friday and didn't realize she was that small physically.

it will be interesting to see if she holds up to the rigors of the big miles.
sonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
I can't begin to tell you how very interesting it is to read your thoughts on Peelers. In fact, it's downright scary to see you taking the kind of position *I* took when arguing Zenyatta's place in history --- and applying it to Peelers.

I dare say you're being hypocritical, but that might be going a bit too far. I might have to review our exchanges on Zenyatta just to make sure.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
pandy

This is different. Even before her brilliant win in the Breeders Cup Classic, Zenyatta was defeating quality GR1 fields and over coming difficult trips from far off the pace. Peelers still hasn't passed that type of a test. I don't have anything against Peelers, she seems like a top notch filly, but she has had an unusual run of easy trips and good racing luck. One of the days she will be tested and then we'll find out how good she is. I'm not convinced she's a great horse.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Even before her brilliant win in the Breeders Cup Classic, Zenyatta was defeating quality GR1 fields and over coming difficult trips from far off the pace.
Not going to open that can of worms again, especially in the harness section...let's just say I vehemently disagree with you there on both the "quality" and "difficult trips."
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
sonnyp

Quote:
This is different. Even before her brilliant win in the Breeders Cup Classic, Zenyatta was defeating quality GR1 fields and over coming difficult trips from far off the pace. Peelers still hasn't passed that type of a test. I don't have anything against Peelers, she seems like a top notch filly, but she has had an unusual run of easy trips and good racing luck. One of the days she will be tested and then we'll find out how good she is. I'm not convinced she's a great horse.

i think a combination of ability and prowess contribute to "good trips". when she gets to the front (being 18-0) who's going to be the "brave soul" or "sacrificial lamb" to go first over against her.

she now commands the respect and gets those softer fractions based on what she's accomplished.

i'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but 18-0 is no easy feat with everything that can go wrong in a horserace.

i'm not sure why they would go to the jug, but if they do and should she win.....she'd have to be talked about being right there with the greatest ever.
sonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2011, 02:52 AM   #11
toetoe
Veteran

I want to tiptoe around the same issue PA is taking up with Pandy. My main impression is that Pandy shows great respect for the thoroughbred side, and it is generally unrequited. The Meadowlands crew are very good about giving the thoroughbreds publicity and respect, also.

That said, Zenyatta faced two good fields at Oaklawn, two B.C. Classic fields ... and about 50 or 60 tomato cans in eight or ten or twelve of her California races. By the way, I lost respect for the Rachel Alexandra people when they bailed out of the Oaklawn race.
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2011, 07:43 AM   #12
pandy

I hope Peelers proves me wrong it would be great to have a superstar filly. But my gut feeling is that the drivers will wake up and test her on the front end and she'll weaken and get caught. In today's harness game you can't let a horse rate its own pace, the drivers fell asleep in her last two races. True, no one wants to be the one to go and challenge her but for the big money they're supposed to.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #13
DeanT

If they torch her she, or any horse, can be caught. But right now, there is no one in her league, because you can't torch what you can't catch.

She, imo, is the Rachel of harness. She's lights out better than the fillies (Kripsy Apple is a very nice horse, and Peelers makes her look like a cheap claimer), and probably has similar speed as the colts.

Other than the running-in she does, she looks to have no chinks in her armor.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #14
pandy

See, I didn't see the Fan Hanover that way at all. I didn't think she made Krispy look like a cheap claimer. Krispy went :54.2 last half first over.

Reverse the trips, let Krispy walk to the lead and slow the half, then have Peelers go first over. We don't even know if Peelers can go first over and win. Plus Krispy was making her 8th lifetime start in the Fan Hanover with lots of room to keep improving. Right now I'd rate the two of them pretty close. We'll see, but since I'm hardly ever wrong, Peelers is probably going to go beat soon.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #15
Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
If they torch her she, or any horse, can be caught. But right now, there is no one in her league, because you can't torch what you can't catch.

She, imo, is the Rachel of harness. She's lights out better than the fillies (Kripsy Apple is a very nice horse, and Peelers makes her look like a cheap claimer), and probably has similar speed as the colts.

Other than the running-in she does, she looks to have no chinks in her armor.
Nice points and thanks for the reply. I am hopeful for this sport that this girl goes the distance!