Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 12:57 AM   #1486
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
Obviously, you disagree with the court rulings stopping Pres. Trump's ban. The Muslims have no right to come into the country based on religion.
I never said that. I have made no statement either way. My position is not obvious.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:04 AM   #1487
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
I never said that. I have made no statement either way. My position is not obvious.

Sure you did. See your post 1475. You agreed with vigors there is no such thing as inalienable rights from God, thus you have to disagree with the court finding the Muslims have such rights.

In fact as an atheist you could never agree with inalienable rights from God as they cannot come from man.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Old 05-11-2017, 01:07 AM   #1488
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
First, the post you quoted above had nothing to do with rights. It had to do with your insistence that your opinion, there is no God as a fact.

Second, factually the idea of inalienable rights is stated in the Declaration of Indepedence and memoralized in the Bill of Rights. Those are provable objective facts.

Nothing you have posted in this discussion has come close to being an objective fact, they are just rantings.
Just because something "is stated in the Declaration of Indepedence and memoralized in the Bill of Rights" does not make it an objective fact, anymore that the many things that are stated in scripture are facts...these are merely the writings and opinions of humans...

I suppose in your thinking, animals, such as your Avatar, do NOT have the same rights as those stated in this country's founding documents...Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness...are not ALL creatures then endowed with same rights....

You can not have it both ways...either all Life has these rights, or none of it does...that these rights are but figments of the collective human imagination...

But one might say that MAN is somehow different, special...that he is afforded the gift to murder and consume his fellow creatures at his pleasure because this is the plan of some obscure oriental despot/ deity...I beg to differ.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:20 AM   #1489
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Just because something "is stated in the Declaration of Indepedence and memoralized in the Bill of Rights" does not make it an objective fact, anymore that the many things that are stated in scripture are facts...these are merely the writings and opinions of humans...

I suppose in your thinking, animals, such as your Avatar, do NOT have the same rights as those stated in this country's founding documents...Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness...are not ALL creatures then endowed with same rights....

You can not have it both ways...either all Life has these rights, or none of it does...that these rights are but figments of the collective human imagination...

But one might say that MAN is somehow different, special...that he is afforded the gift to murder and consume his fellow creatures at his pleasure because this is the plan of some obscure oriental despot/ deity...I beg to differ.

I said that it is stated in those documents is an objective fact.

Quote:
Second, factually the idea of inalienable rights is stated in the Declaration of Independence and memorialized in the Bill of Rights. Those are provable objective facts.

Do you have a comprehension problem? It is an objective fact you will find the idea of inalienable rights stated in and memorialized.

And yes man can have it both ways. No animals do not have the same rights or you would not be betting on horses racing, or eating animals for food.

However, if we go by life is an accident then the animals have more rights than us. They were here first. Therefore, global warming is a good thing nature is correcting the mistake she made, in allowing man to exist.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 05-11-2017 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:27 AM   #1490
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Newtonian mechanics (A.K.A. Galilean mechanics) seems almost intuitive. An observer standing on a railroad platform see two trains approaching, one from the east and one from the west. By some means the observer measures the approaching velocity of both trains and finds that the east train is approaching at 100 km/hr and the west train is approaching at 80 km/hr. He himself is standing still.

The engineer of the east train sees the west train approaching at 180 km/hr while the platform is approaching at 100 km/hr. The engineer of the west train sees the east train approaching at 180 km/hr while the platform is approaching at 80 km/hr. All these numbers add up: 100 + 80 = 180. Of course each observer assigns these numbers to different things, east train, west train, platform, but the numbers always add up.

This also works if we measure the speed of sound waves, with one proviso. Whereas the observer on the platform and the two engineers in the previous example each had their own frame of reference, with sound waves there is a “privileged frame of reference,” namely the medium, i.e., the atmosphere, through which sound travels. Within this privileged frame of reference the speed of sound is always the same. (+ or – slight variations due to barometric pressure and humidity.)

Sound is a wave and so is light (according to the wave model). This lead 19th century scientists to speculate that there was a privileged frame of reference for light, some sort of medium in which light was waving. They named this medium the aether. If this model was true then the earth must be moving through the aether, changing direction during the year. In 1887 two physicists, Michelson and Morley, tried to detect the aether (using a rather ingenious device) and failed.

In 1905 Einstein explained this failure with his Special Theory of Relativity. Einstein’s model states that (1)there is no aether and (2)the speed of light is constant for all observers in any frame of reference. I.e., there is no privileged frame of reference, all frames of reference are equal. This has implications for our perceptions of both time and space. Two observers in different frames of reference, frames that are moving with respect to one another, will observe different time intervals between the same two events. Furthermore, each will observe a different size and shape of the same object. These phenomena have been experimentally verified. If you own a GPS the computer program within it takes these phenomena into account and corrects for them.

More on time and space later.
Really Hey PA I have an idea. Since both Actor and boxcar want to give lectures that nobody is interested in reading, why don't you charge them $ and dedicate a thread to each, in which they post their lectures to their hearts' content.
George Washington

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 05-11-2017 at 01:29 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:35 AM   #1491
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
I said that it is stated in those documents is an objective fact.

Do you have a comprehension problem? It is an objective fact you will find the idea of inalienable rights stated in and memorialized.

And yes man can have it both ways. No animals do not have the same rights or you would not be betting on horses racing, or eating animals for food.

However, if we go by life is an accident then the animals have more rights than us. They were here first. Therefore, global warming is a good thing nature is correcting the mistake she made, in allowing man to exist.
But you see that some animals have more rights than others, whales in this county, rhinos in that one, no horse meat eatin' here, but elsewhere, a delicacy...cats and dogs have more rights than cows and pigs and chickens...and who makes up all these rules and formulas...? Man does... on whatever whim whirls in his brain...

....sure, rights endowed by gods to men...
and rights endowed to whales and dogs by men...

...oh yeah, it all makes so much sense...a smiling oriental creator god looking down on the puny lives of bugs and men...only in dreams are rights real...dreams, and the fantasies of legalistic minds...
Old 05-11-2017, 01:57 AM   #1492
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Look up the word "inalienable".
I did. You should look it up yourself. It has nothing to do with God.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:09 AM   #1493
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Sure you did. See your post 1475.
"Excellent post!" Don't read more into that than is actually there.
Quote:
You agreed with vigors there is no such thing as inalienable rights from God, thus you have to disagree with the court finding the Muslims have such rights.
Non sequitur. As far as I can tell the court did not use the word "inalienable" in its decision. It's entirely a first amendment question.

Quote:
In fact as an atheist you could never agree with inalienable rights from God as they cannot come from man.
Inalienable rights can come from man. Look up the word "inalienable."
Old 05-11-2017, 02:17 AM   #1494
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Really Hey PA I have an idea. Since both Actor and boxcar want to give lectures that nobody is interested in reading, why don't you charge them $ and dedicate a thread to each, in which they post their lectures to their hearts' content.
Or maybe PA should pay us $ for providing content. I suspect this thread is drawing visitors to this site and PA knows it.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #1495
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
"Excellent post!" Don't read more into that than is actually there.

Then explain to us how I read more into it. You agreed with the statement there are no inalienable rights. Are you acting like the village idiot now?

Quote:
Non sequitur. As far as I can tell the court did not use the word "inalienable" in its decision. It's entirely a first amendment question.
Did you fail 8th grade civics? The court by definition was ruling on the inalienable right

Quote:
Inalienable rights can come from man. Look up the word "inalienable."
Inalienable means it cannot be taken away. If man givith man can take it back.

inalienable rights:

Natural and legal rights. Natural and legal rights are two types of rights. Natural rights are those that are not dependent on the laws or customs of any particular culture or government, and therefore universal and inalienable (i.e., rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws).
[emphasis added]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_and_legal_rights

Lest you forget, you asked:

Quote:
By man made laws?
My answer to you was proper, I prefer rights which cannot be taken away by man made laws.
George Washington

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 05-11-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:26 AM   #1496
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Or maybe PA should pay us $ for providing content. I suspect this thread is drawing visitors to this site and PA knows it.
Just think how much more $$$ he will make if you had your own dedicated thread to lecture.
George Washington
Old 05-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #1497
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Making it short and to the point:

In Luke 17:20-21, Jesus says, "The kingdom of God does not come with observation; nor will they say, 'See here!' or 'See there!' For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you" (NKJV).
Unless "kingdom" and "God" are synonymous, then the text is saying (according to the version from which you quoted) that the kingdom is within. "Of God" is a prepositional phrase describing the noun "kingdom".
Old 05-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #1498
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The more you quote Jesus...the more "reasonable" his crucifixion seems to me. If he were to utter such words...he would be declared insane even TODAY.
Or more accurately and to the point, men today would hate him just as much as the Jewish religious establishment did of his day.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #1499
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
But Boxcar considers this a "misinterpretation". And BOXCAR makes the rules in this thread.
No...Boxcar considers this a poor translation for the numerous reasons given in the past in the Religion thread. This is why it's always wise to use multiple translations when interpreting.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #1500
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
This is why it's always wise to use multiple translations when interpreting.

Yeah, ok buddy. But probably not.

What WOULD be wise would be to go to the SOURCE...the original LANGUAGE it was written in. Since you obviously don't know Hebrew (or Greek), you can't do this, and have to rely on "multiple translations."

So, where do you think the chance for MISINTERPRETATION is highest? Relying on "MULTIPLE TRANSLATIONS" or reading it straight from the horse's mouth, in its original language.

You really are out there.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: