Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 09-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
shoelessjoe

Larry Voegele-Quarter Horses

I was taking to a friend of mine and we started to discuss Quarter Horses.I remember when I first got Voegele's book back in the 70's I visted Pompano Park.It was the first time I played them and I ended up paying for my whole Florida trip.Has anyone else out there ever applied his methods to them?

I also would appreciate a list of tracks that now run quarter horses.Thanks Jeff
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
Dan Montilion

http://www.aqha.com/aqharacing.com/h...SRaceDates.pdf

Anthony Bourdain
Dan Montilion is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
shoelessjoe

Dan,Thank you very much.Jeff
Old 09-03-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
shoelessjoe

Voegele's theories on smooth,rough and dull races were very good for a handicapper just starting out.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
RichieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelessjoe
Voegele's theories on smooth,rough and dull races were very good for a handicapper just starting out.
I've read that in his heyday the seminars he ran were extremely well attended Shoeless. Do you know where he was based? West coast?

Speaking about the quarters Jim "The Hat" used to tell me about this weird thing he did when he played them.

He would use the pp's to pick the horse he liked to win.Say it was #8.For exactas he told me he would take the 2 horses closest to the #8 and put them for 2nd. That would be the #'s 7 and 9. It was one of the weirdest things I had ever heard but that's what he would do.

By chance would anyone know where I could find the takeout rates for q horses?
RichieP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
socantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP
Try http://horseworlddata.com/pmtrcks.html
Old 09-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
RichieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by socantra
Thanks!!
RichieP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
Figman

The win, place & show takeout at Finger Lakes in New York is NOT the same as the win, place & show takout at the NYRA tracks in New York. Finger Lakes is 18%.

And beginning with September opening at Belmont Park, the win, place & show takeout, along with the multiple and exotic takeouts at NYRA all go up one percent from what is on the table.
Figman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
juanepstein
devo-lutionizing

Quote:
I've read that in his heyday the seminars he ran were extremely well attended Shoeless. Do you know where he was based? West coast?

Speaking about the quarters Jim "The Hat" used to tell me about this weird thing he did when he played them.

He would use the pp's to pick the horse he liked to win.Say it was #8.For exactas he told me he would take the 2 horses closest to the #8 and put them for 2nd. That would be the #'s 7 and 9. It was one of the weirdest things I had ever heard but that's what he would do.

ive heard the same thing. if the #8 was to pop out good the #7 and #9 have a target run at which will usually keep them up into the exotics or overcome the #8 at the finish.
juanepstein is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
shoelessjoe

Richie,Funny you said that about the Hat's way of playing exacta's because that's the way I was doing it.The way you are able to match up the 1st and 2nd calls I think you would be a natural playing them.

I thought Pompano Park was still running but I didnt see them on that list.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #11
witchdoctor
Veteran

Quote:

Howard took Jimmy's idea and called it "vector magnetism."
witchdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2008, 01:56 AM   #12
Topcat

there was an entire book built around this "vector magnetisim" I forget the name at the moment but it suggested taking all adjacent horses and boxing them in the exacta-1 with 2 etc and wait for the big exacta-the therory was that in the short exacta races a horse, being a herd animal, could pull along others near it.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:21 AM   #13
trp

The book you're thinking of may be "Exacta Betting - World's Safest Investment" by Gil Morgan and Herb Morgan, copyright 1979.

It contains their system, which is based on the "Pull Theory", for betting exactas in quarter horse races.
trp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #14
shoelessjoe

TRP,Is the book worth getting?
Old 09-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #15
trp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelessjoe
TRP,Is the book worth getting?
I can't give a definite answer because I don't know why you might want it.

I was never more than a very casual QH handicapper. I lived about 2 miles from Los Alamitos for 13 years, so I'd drop by occasionally on big race days (actually nights) and place a few bets.

I bought the book because it was the only one I could find at that time about handicapping QHs. The system is very simplistic. I don't know if it ever worked or not. I never used it. If a friend of mine asked me whether he should buy it to help his handicapping, I'd say no. As a minor curiosity item, the answer might be different.
trp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply