Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-06-2022, 08:49 PM   #406
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Right. Remember Arrogate looked otherworldly for 4 races.
But Flightline wasn't over a short period, he just didn't run very often. He was otherworldly every time he ran really.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2022, 09:04 PM   #407
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

I normally hate when a perfectly-healthy young horse gets sent to the breeding shed before his time, but this time I think they did the right thing. The horse is scary, too fast to race. Since the Pegasus no longer has a $12 million purse, the cost to insure the horse for that one race would be more than the winners share of the purse. Winning Dubai and Saudi could pay for themselves, but the breeding season begins in February, so you would have to wait until 2024 if you ran those two races.
Redboard is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2022, 10:00 PM   #408
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Arriving at Lane's End.

Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2022, 10:48 PM   #409
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
Back in 2021, SG4 hit the stone cold trifecta forecasting Flightline's 2022 campaign

Thanks for digging that one out, at least I got one trifecta prediction right this year.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2022, 09:39 AM   #410
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
But Flightline wasn't over a short period, he just didn't run very often. He was otherworldly every time he ran really.
I agree.

I'd say his overall record is more indicative of a horse that was likely to sustain his elite form from the last 2 races than a horse that jumped way up after showing more modest form over a longer series of races.

It's a tough compare though because most horses start and race more when they are younger and then develop both as they mature physically and as they get racing experience.

He's a late 4yo now (physically mature), but has had only 6 starts. It's just as easy to argue he was still going to get better as it is that he didn't sustain that 120+ Beyer or 140+ TFUS level as long as other elite greats. Me personally though, I can't put him with horses like Bid, Slew, Secretariat, Fager etc.. but I think he has that talent level.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 11-07-2022 at 09:44 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2022, 09:42 AM   #411
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
I normally hate when a perfectly-healthy young horse gets sent to the breeding shed before his time, but this time I think they did the right thing. The horse is scary, too fast to race. Since the Pegasus no longer has a $12 million purse, the cost to insure the horse for that one race would be more than the winners share of the purse. Winning Dubai and Saudi could pay for themselves, but the breeding season begins in February, so you would have to wait until 2024 if you ran those two races.
I think everyone understands the economics of "why".

As fans though, we all wait years for horses like this. So it's frustrating when one comes along and you don't get to see more.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:55 AM   #412
Hoops McCann

farewell Flightline, we hardly knew ya

enjoy your new "career"
Hoops McCann is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2022, 11:06 AM   #413
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot6977 View Post
The last line of the Equibase charts say "The three quarters time was hand-timed due to an outrider hitting the beam too early."

The outrider was rushing back to Epicenter and tripped the beam, resulting in the original time everyone saw on video.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2022, 11:09 AM   #414
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesome View Post
Not sure about the 6f time, wouldnt be surprised one of the outriders triggered the beam while trying to get to Epicentre

This is correct.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2022, 12:07 PM   #415
deathandgravity

Impressive - yes. One of the best.. maybe?

I don't think 5 races is enough to consider this horse the next Secretariat.

Shame we will never find out.
deathandgravity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2022, 12:33 PM   #416
thaskalos

Sometimes a horse comes along that appears to be from "another planet". No other horse can get close to it, and the winning margins get larger as the fields get tougher and the distances get longer. In such cases, although watching these "freaks of nature" certainly warms the heart...retirement seems to be the rational option. Any future races appear as a foregone conclusion...IMO.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2022, 01:00 PM   #417
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Sometimes a horse comes along that appears to be from "another planet". No other horse can get close to it, and the winning margins get larger as the fields get tougher and the distances get longer. In such cases, although watching these "freaks of nature" certainly warms the heart...retirement seems to be the rational option. Any future races appear as a foregone conclusion...IMO.
thaskalos

Welcome back from your layoff. I hope it was just a freshening from OT arguments and not health or other personal issues. I was asking about you.
Old 11-07-2022, 01:02 PM   #418
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Welcome back from your layoff. I hope it was just a freshening from OT arguments and not health or other personal issues.
Thanks. I am as strong as an ox...and relatively trouble-free.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2022, 01:11 PM   #419
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathandgravity View Post
Impressive - yes. One of the best.. maybe?

I don't think 5 races is enough to consider this horse the next Secretariat.

Shame we will never find out.
I get you. But for argument's sake-can you really picture Flightline losing to Onion or Prove Out?
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2022, 01:27 PM   #420
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
There are no foregone conclusions in horse racing (as can be seen from the fact that the "great" horses of the past got beat eventually), and sports work best when they ensure enough competitions take place to provide a possibility of an upset.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply