Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-18-2022, 05:55 PM   #1
vikingrob

Racetracks' capital investments

Is it just me, or is Canterbury Park missing an opportunity? The light stands are between the main track and turf course, which is why they do not run turf races after sunset. They are seeking approval from the Minnesota Racing Commission for replacement of the lighting system, but the layout in the public documents for the commission meeting on Thursday suggest the light towers after the project is completed will still be between the two courses.
vikingrob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2022, 07:22 PM   #2
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingrob View Post
Is it just me, or is Canterbury Park missing an opportunity? The light stands are between the main track and turf course, which is why they do not run turf races after sunset. They are seeking approval from the Minnesota Racing Commission for replacement of the lighting system, but the layout in the public documents for the commission meeting on Thursday suggest the light towers after the project is completed will still be between the two courses.
Maybe, but based on their running in the summer, they'll have times when they're still able to run the last race of the card on the turf because it stays light so much longer up north. They probably figure it balances out.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2022, 06:40 PM   #3
vikingrob

Sunset is at about 9:00pm CDT in the latter part of June and early July. My thinking was that they had the opportunity to place the light towers inside the turf course, illuminate both courses, and be able to run turf races after sunset. On closing day in 2022, sunset was at 7:20pm CDT. First post was 4:00pm, and as a result, they would have to end turf racing for the day after either the sixth or seventh race. They would also have to allow a buffer in case of a delay because of an accident on the track, a long inquiry, etc.
Old 10-20-2022, 02:23 PM   #4
Prairie Bettor

My guess is they would still card turf prior to sunset simply because of the chance of dew forming at sunset. It's not like they would ever run 9 turf races.
Prairie Bettor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2022, 03:47 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Bettor View Post
My guess is they would still card turf prior to sunset simply because of the chance of dew forming at sunset. It's not like they would ever run 9 turf races.
Doesn't seem to be an issue here in Oklahoma. Can't think of any tracks that don't run after dark on turf unless there are no lights.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2022, 05:20 PM   #6
Al Gobbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Doesn't seem to be an issue here in Oklahoma. Can't think of any tracks that don't run after dark on turf unless there are no lights.
Mountaineer cards pretty much all of their turf races during the summer before sunset even though the turf has lights.
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2022, 03:22 PM   #7
vikingrob

What led me to think about this is the fact that the lights currently in place are the ones that were installed when Canterbury first opened in 1985. At the time, the general plan was that thoroughbred racing would be conducted solely during daylight hours, and that the lights would be used to facilitate harness racing at night. Harness racing was conducted in 1986, but not conducted until a few Labor Day weekends about 20 years ago.

Given the opening of Running Aces in 2008, I doubt Canterbury Park will ever again contact harness racing.

That being said, the weather in Minnesota is normally quite pleasant into October, but the last night where sunset is after 7:00pm CDT is in late September; tonight, sunset in Minneapolis is at 6:17pm CDT.

Before the pandemic, Canterbury typically started weeknight cards between 6:00 and 7:00 in the evening; a 7:00pm post would not have allowed the 5th or subsequent race to be run on the turf.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:25 PM   #8
vikingrob

Quote:
My recollection is that Remington Park was originally built without lights, and the lights were a later addition. Also, the Texas tracks have run turf races at night; they were originally built with lights and turf courses.
Old 10-21-2022, 04:23 PM   #9
davew

They do have stuff on the track during the winter like their snowmobile jumps and races (Snocross National).
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2022, 10:06 AM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingrob View Post
My recollection is that Remington Park was originally built without lights, and the lights were a later addition. Also, the Texas tracks have run turf races at night; they were originally built with lights and turf courses.
My reply was to a suggestion that tracks won't run on turf at night due to dew forming. Since most tracks with light run well after dark, I was saying that doesn't appear to be an issue.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2022, 05:26 PM   #11
affirmedny

Quote:
My reply was to a suggestion that tracks won't run on turf at night due to dew forming. Since most tracks with light run well after dark, I was saying that doesn't appear to be an issue.
the only place with dew issue that I ever heard of was Mountaineer because it's right next to the river.
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply