Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 10-12-2022, 12:24 PM   #31
BarchCapper

The most important thing for me with all raceday shows/feeds - if there are horses on the track or in the paddock/walking ring - that's what I should be seeing. I want "disembodied voices" rather than the camera being on "talking heads" during that time. (I also don't want extended full screen shots of will-pays! Glad that with HD and improvements in graphics these can be relegated to a portion of the screen.)

The tracks/shows have definitely improved on this over time. I appreciate SEEING NYRA horses in the paddock and HEARING Maggie's commentary, with the little graphic in the corner of the screen telling me it's her. I like the focus on various entries in the warmups accompanied by voiceover. That's fabulous. I truly appreciate the HKJC feed - where I don't really know what ANY of the presenters look like "live" - they just show the little graphic with their picture when it's time for their picks.

(My one pet peeve when tracks do show horses as they go out to the track - shot of 1,2,3,4,5 leaving the paddock followed by switch to trackside shot again showing 1,2,3,4,5 coming out onto the track, followed by switch to post parade shot starting with 1,2,3 ... - the higher numbered entries/connections not shown until post parade - and the end of the post parade can get a little messy as horses break off and take off in front of them. Of course I guess I can be thankful when there ARE more than 5 horses in a race to create this "problem".)
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2022, 12:43 PM   #32
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
The most important thing for me with all raceday shows/feeds - if there are horses on the track or in the paddock/walking ring - that's what I should be seeing. I want "disembodied voices" rather than the camera being on "talking heads" during that time.
Cracking up in concurrence, my good man. When I pull camera time, I start thinking: What is this, some sort of TELEVISION show? LOL!

I had our tech producer soften the focus this year, last year we moved the camera back 5 feet..I'm thinking our next step to combat my encroaching wrinkles will be shooting the show through candles and gauze-sort of like they did in Barry Lyndon. (Although I bear little resemblance to a young Ryan O'neal)
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2022, 01:10 PM   #33
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
This is special stuff. It's my show? What planet are you on? Maggie gets cut off? What show are you watching. I get some moronic criticisms, and take some idiotic shots, but this is so ridiculous that I am actually worried that you need immediate help. Then again, you still think Gabby Gaudet is on the show...and she hasn't been on in five years.

I'm going to show this to Maggie on Thursday. She will definitely enjoy the laugh.
They can't even troll effectively anymore...maybe their age is showing...
Old 10-12-2022, 01:12 PM   #34
jay68802

jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2022, 01:16 PM   #35
Sheffwed

most important

insights and civility - both are a requirement and without both, hosts should be seen as non starters

it's hard enough to pick winners without having to be unnecessary hostile, so humility is also essential

Mark Patterson is a rare instance of someone who combines all of these traits, and should be seen as an example all others should follow

Caton Bredar is an all time great who also has what it takes

Serling should drop the hostility schtick, he could be great but fails on the most important dimension of all, being a nice person on the air - he has his strengths and weaknesses as a handicapper, so why not be humble? Being from Manhattan does seem to turn people into jerks for whatever reason, maybe he can't help himself

Andie Biancone is amazing at insights, so is Maggie and Acacia has been fantastic, up and comers include Liza Hendriks (give her more to do!)

And I have all the time in the world for the Jason and Jess show at Colonial, and the PID guys are also underrated

Patterson needs to do a preview show or some sort of multiple sequence thing - do it for pay and I'd bet they would come running...including for Mahoning, speaking of which I'm also a fan of Hook

I see these as the examples of what the industry should strive for, especially as it searches to bring in newcomers

Less "know it all," less "we are TVG, let's get you to make stupid wagers," more nice, bright young/younger people

Last edited by Sheffwed; 10-12-2022 at 01:18 PM.
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2022, 01:31 PM   #36
Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffwed View Post
insights and civility - both are a requirement and without both, hosts should be seen as non starters

it's hard enough to pick winners without having to be unnecessary hostile, so humility is also essential

Mark Patterson is a rare instance of someone who combines all of these traits, and should be seen as an example all others should follow

Serling should drop the hostility schtick, he could be great but fails on the most important dimension of all, being a nice person on the air - he has his strengths and weaknesses as a handicapper, so why not be humble? Being from Manhattan does seem to turn people into jerks for whatever reason, maybe he can't help himself

Andie Biancone is amazing at insights, so is Maggie and Acacia has been fantastic, up and comers include Liza Hendriks (give her more to do!)

And I have all the time in the world for the Jason and Jess show at Colonial, and the PID guys are also underrated

Patterson needs to do a preview show or some sort of multiple sequence thing - do it for pay and I'd bet they would come running...including for Mahoning, speaking of which I'm also a fan of Hook

I see these as the examples of what the industry should strive for, especially as it searches to bring in newcomers

Less "know it all," less "we are TVG, let's get you to make stupid wagers," more nice, bright young/younger people

Agree on your assessment of all here.Well done. only disagreement is Andy. Having cut my teeth and beyond going to live races in NY civility is NOT part of handicapping. You go for the disagreements and arguments with fellow handicappers. Likely are your friends anyways. Never saw Andy hostile to anyone on the show other than maybe Stabile abd he can take it and give it back. I am taking about the show, not behavior on the board.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2022, 01:43 PM   #37
Brisk Urging
Veteran

Quote:

Quigleys corner is pretty good.In my opinion i find the best shows on youtube.
I would like to see Serling and Aragona..
Aragona should be on the fox team.Nothing against JK but David is really good.
Brisk Urging is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2022, 01:53 PM   #38
mountainman

Quote:

Many tx, dude. But had Nancy been more willing to go back and forth, you would probably not see me as quite so civil. She disliked debate, though, so I respected that.

As far as Mahoning goes, I agreed to do a seminar for them several winters back (free of charge and likely fighting the elements to get there), but word came down that I was an enemy of Ohio racing and unwelcome to appear. Still love betting that track.

Last edited by mountainman; 10-12-2022 at 02:05 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2022, 04:00 PM   #39
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Never saw Andy hostile to anyone on the show other than maybe Stabile abd he can take it and give it back. I am taking about the show, not behavior on the board.
Sheffwed is delusional when it comes to Serling on-air...as are many...it can't be helped for some, apparently.
Old 10-12-2022, 05:50 PM   #40
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk Urging View Post
Aragona should be on the fox team.
Leave David where he is. I like the combination of David and CJ on their TimeformUS podcasts. They are very professional, present well researched insights, and compliment each other in a way where 1 + 1 = 3.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:43 PM   #41
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Less Kinchen

More MiG

Andy is one of the few who actually brings up the economics on a horse or a barn. When a 600k sale horse debuts in a claimer there should be sirens going off, Andy tends to catch those types of things and tells us about it.

Although there was much more of that kind of stuff going on in SoCal back in the day, I think Andy is so well plugged into the NYRA trainers etc…….he has a huge advantage.
Old 10-14-2022, 10:35 PM   #42
Bogo

I would like to see someone explaining ticket construction based on handicapping and current odds. Don't care if the handicapping is wrong. Would help me use my opinion to put together more efficient tickets.
Bogo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2022, 11:54 PM   #43
jimmyb

i started before the advent of simulcasting, online wagering and cable television. With all the choices of tracks, races and shows like Americas day a the races, Fanduel tv, Mark at the the Mountain, Vic at Oaklawn, online wagering and this board, I feel blessed.

Good era to be a horseplayer.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2022, 01:47 PM   #44
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogo View Post
I would like to see someone explaining ticket construction based on handicapping and current odds. Don't care if the handicapping is wrong. Would help me use my opinion to put together more efficient tickets.
For win wagers or exotics?
Old 10-15-2022, 03:09 PM   #45
Bogo

The way I play the horse in the win spot is already assumed to be a overlay. So how to take advantage in other pools whether it is ex, trip, super, or multi- race bets.
Bogo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply