Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-05-2022, 08:49 AM   #1
Al Gobbi

Lukas Classic shoe controversy

Quote:
Did Hot Rod Charlie violate shoe rule in win?

The thrilling finish of the Grade 2 Lukas Classic was punctuated by the story of Rich Strike’s jockey Sonny León leaning hard into eventual winner Hot Rod Charlie in the deep stretch when he said his saddle slid out of place.

Now there is new drama about Hot Rod Charlie’s equipment from start to finish of Saturday’s race at Churchill Downs.

Photos sent to several members of the racing media and further inspection of images taken by Jennie Doyle and Matt Wooley of Eclipse Sportswire appeared to show the eventual winner wearing toe grabs on his front hooves. That would seem to be in violation of state and federal regulations.
https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...ule_in_win_123
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2022, 09:20 AM   #2
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I find it hard to believe that the identifier, the paddock judge, the paddock horseshoer, none of them inspected something as basic as shoes. Before a graded race. I'll wait for more evidence, of course, but this claim seems suspect.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2022, 09:53 AM   #3
HorsemenHeist

Multiple photos sure make it appear like the horse was wearing toe grabs.

It wouldn't shock me if there was such incompetence among paddock employees that it wasn't caught before the race. Wearing toe grabs is much more of an advantage than a jockey leaning to one side in the stretch.

I guess the question is if the rules stipulate a DQ for a violation like this that isn't caught before the race. If caught before the race, I think horse is allowed to run with them removed? rather than automatically scratched?

Last edited by HorsemenHeist; 10-05-2022 at 09:55 AM.
HorsemenHeist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2022, 11:25 AM   #4
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsemenHeist View Post
Multiple photos sure make it appear like the horse was wearing toe grabs.

It wouldn't shock me if there was such incompetence among paddock employees that it wasn't caught before the race. Wearing toe grabs is much more of an advantage than a jockey leaning to one side in the stretch.

I guess the question is if the rules stipulate a DQ for a violation like this that isn't caught before the race. If caught before the race, I think horse is allowed to run with them removed? rather than automatically scratched?
In order to pull that off you would have to be in cahoots with the paddock judge to ignore the shoes, you couldnt send them over with the "hope" that you were not going to get caught.

In addition he was the chalk, what is the point in this scenario.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2022, 02:44 PM   #5
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

Doug O’Neill? No way!!
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2022, 04:24 PM   #6
VeryOldMan

I'm a believer in reading comment sections - often there is some very useful information. You don't know the identity or veracity of the commenter, but my experience over the years is that there are a lot of honest and informed remarks there to be mined. Not just with regard to horse racing. Here are the remarks to the underlying article from someone posting with the handle "Young Bloke", who certainly gives the impression of knowing what he's talking about. I'll leave it to others here to tell us if he's full of it, as I have no clue about shoeing horses.

No one on the track carries front-toe grabs. They are no longer carried at most(I have not been to all) farrier stores. A front-toe grab would be a special order item, and that would have been obvious in the paddock. These are most likely xts which are made as a wear plate that sits at 2mm and are usually worn down on shoes by 4 weeks. Need to edit the article. That being said they are breaking the rules by wearing xts on the fronts. It looks like(looking at the nail pattern) he may have lost a shoe and whomever worked on him tacked on an xt to his front left.

Then:

toe grabs of 4mm are allowed on dirt surfaces on rear limbs. The current HISA regualtions ask for queens(Flat shoes) all the way around on turf. On dirt they ask for queens infront and no traction device larger than 4mm. So, the options are a 4 mm rim which is not made by any of the horse shoe companies, and a regular grab which sits between 5.5-6mm which most guys grind down a touch to fit HISA regulation. Some outfits will stay with flats, and some with xts.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2022, 01:28 PM   #7
Al Gobbi

Quote:
HISA may rule on Hot Rod Charlie shoe case 'in next few days'

The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission said Monday the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority holds jurisdiction over allegations that Hot Rod Charlie wore shoes with toe grabs in the Grade 2 Lukas Classic on Oct. 1 at Churchill Downs.

Late Monday, HISA confirmed it.

"HISA is in the process of reviewing the investigation undertaken by the KHRC as well as all related evidence and documents and will make a final determination in the next few days," HISA spokesperson Liz Beadle said in an email to Horse Racing Nation.
https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne..._authority_123
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2022, 03:33 PM   #8
ScottJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gobbi View Post
Question for everyone that believes in Occam's Razor : What prompted anyone to do a blown up version of the original photo? The reason for asking is quite simple as the original photo at regular resolution seems normal (at least to my eyes). Without the original digital image, we would not be able to trace any pixelation between the images.

ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: