Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-05-2022, 11:56 AM   #286
Zaf
Pace Cappa

I think John Imbriale did a very good job this summer at Saratoga!

Z
Old 09-05-2022, 12:12 PM   #287
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Me too.

I can't believe this thread is 20 pages long.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2022, 12:37 PM   #288
ScottJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Your only response is "I know you are wrong, but can't say a thing about what really happened". But, I'm sorry, but there's no reason anyone should ever believe you when you say something like that, which you literally say ALL the time about NYRA matters, especially when NYRA looks bad in public. Certainly, there's no reason I should believe you when I actually have people with knowledge of the situation telling me that you are wrong.
Let me get this straight. Andy, who you proclaim to be a biased NYRA insider, tells you that he understands the situation's details and your accounting of the story is wrong. You profer an unsubstantiated narrative citing salary issues using unnamed sources to back your story. Your version of the events is the "I'm hearing things, big things" of this 20-page discussion.

Quote:
NYRA placed your friend into a position he was not really the best qualified person for, because it decided that it wasn't going to pay the last guy, the top person in the country at that particular job, what he was worth. That wasn't fair to your friend, but it is what happened.
Now, how did you determine who was best for the position? Was it your extensive experience in the field, more of those unnamed insiders, or just a gut feel? Perhaps your "top guy" did not get the "top job" for reasons other than money?

Quote:
And then your friend tried hard but didn't deliver the performance that the top race meet in the country deserves. So now he's not doing the top race meet anymore, and a more highly qualified announcer will be coming in to do it. This all went down in public.
John Imbriale provided great and professional calls throughout this and previous Saratoga and NYRA seasons. Anyone doubting this just is not watching the game on a daily basis. Aside from that point, please stop to consider that John Imbriale is actually 66 years old and - get this - might actually want less full-time work, but still wanted to be involved.
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2022, 12:44 PM   #289
ScottJ

Quote:
But your employer's actions here speak for yourself, and I have reliable information that contradicts your account. I don't think you are a credible interlocutor about John Imbriale.
If you want to play the role of whistleblower, grab the brass ring. If you have something so important that this message board and the racing world needs to know the details, put forward the information and sources. Else, could I suggest that you are best served being content that this discussion should just end?
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2022, 12:47 PM   #290
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Read Swift's comment above. If this wasn't a demotion, he would obviously keep Saratoga.
Your opinion.
Did you talk to him?
Do you know him?
Maybe he wants to go to Toga as a FAN.
Maybe he has a boat and wants his summers off.
You have an opinion.
Nothing more.

Let's review.
Andy, who works at NYRA, knows Johnny, knew Larry, doesn't hide his identity, and otoh,
we have an anonymous poster with a known grudge, who has reliable but unnamed sources.....

Gee, I dunno? Guys????

Last edited by Tom; 09-05-2022 at 12:54 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2022, 12:51 PM   #291
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Else, could I suggest that you are best served being content that this discussion should just end?
That guy is the worst around here for having to have the last word. Another 10-20 pages of this stuff seems likely.
Old 09-05-2022, 01:10 PM   #292
CheckMark

Quote:
Life is is more important than arguments on a message board.
We could have ended here though but I just thought....
Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 1.08.23 PM.png
Old 09-05-2022, 05:51 PM   #293
Sheffwed

I'm just glad

Quote:
Let me get this straight. Andy, who you proclaim to be a biased NYRA insider, tells you that he understands the situation's details and your accounting of the story is wrong. You profer an unsubstantiated narrative citing salary issues using unnamed sources to back your story. Your version of the events is the "I'm hearing things, big things" of this 20-page discussion.

Now, how did you determine who was best for the position? Was it your extensive experience in the field, more of those unnamed insiders, or just a gut feel? Perhaps your "top guy" did not get the "top job" for reasons other than money?

John Imbriale provided great and professional calls throughout this and previous Saratoga and NYRA seasons. Anyone doubting this just is not watching the game on a daily basis. Aside from that point, please stop to consider that John Imbriale is actually 66 years old and - get this - might actually want less full-time work, but still wanted to be involved.

This seems to be the best solution, kudos to NYRA for getting it right (or did they just stumble on the right answer?)

Imbriale is fine, just not for Saratoga very clearly - Frank did a nice enough job calling the races a couple of weeks ago, and for those who think 1 announcer should handle all of NY racing, there's a guy here named Vic who might like a word with you on why 1 announcer per major US state's racing isn't always best
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2022, 06:25 PM   #294
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Look, Andy, your standing up for your friend is an admirable human quality. But you come on this message board and say things about the Collmus-to-Imbriale transition that industry insiders whom I talked to laugh at. I am very certain of the sourcing here.
Old 09-05-2022, 06:27 PM   #295
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

The Fox folks had a nice little tribute to John I that was well done. No reason for anyone to drag on him
Old 09-05-2022, 06:28 PM   #296
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Your opinion.
Did you talk to him?
Do you know him?
Maybe he wants to go to Toga as a FAN.
Maybe he has a boat and wants his summers off.
You have an opinion.
Nothing more.

Let's review.
Andy, who works at NYRA, knows Johnny, knew Larry, doesn't hide his identity, and otoh,
we have an anonymous poster with a known grudge, who has reliable but unnamed sources.....

Gee, I dunno? Guys????
Testify, Tom.

A nice tribute to Imbriale on today's NYRA broadcast.

By all accounts - even those not NYRA related - Imbriale is considered a legitimately nice guy. I've never met the man, nor Serling, nor anyone else associated with NYRA.

Imbriale is 67 years old, a Queens native and St. Johns graduate and . . . might legitimately want to semi retire in the NYC area, which includes Belmont. What's the problem?!

I've thought he's a workmanlike race caller in one of the most thankless jobs around. We at home now have HDTVs, multiple camera angles, "chicklets" onscreen, etc. - makes it easy to second guess everything.

I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing Griffin and Mirahmadi, but that's no diss on Imbriale.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2022, 06:51 PM   #297
CheckMark

Omg John just said the famous words that Durkin said when he was on his final call at Saratoga "She/He was splashtastic!" made me laugh because I was wondering if he would say that or not but he did so it was even funnier
Old 09-05-2022, 07:42 PM   #298
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsemenHeist View Post
I heard an interview with Tom Durkin on the Fox show and he said that the Saratoga booth was the worst that he'd ever been in, by far. But no one complains because it is Saratoga. Maybe Imbriale had his couple seasons fulfilling the dream of calling the Spa, had enough of the terrible view, and the humility to know someone can do the job there better.
I don't know about that last clause (humility yes, better not necessarily), but in the interview on FOX with Acacia Courtney, John Imbriale also talked about the difficult booth.

This year (from various podcasts) I also heard much more than ever before about the increasing difficulty (increased costs, etc.) of all horse related people making the move to Saratoga for the now couple of months instead of weeks. In the interview, Imbriale mentioned that he'd miss seeing people he knew at Saratoga, but he'll see them at Belmont. So staying in one place year round sounds like it has a lot of appeal for him also.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2022, 12:32 PM   #299
dilanesp

Quote:

Larry Collmus is the top racecaller in the country (you will note which announcer works the TC on NBC- this is not really in doubt), and NYRA had him (having hired him away from Churchill, no less!), and then refused to pay him what he was worth, choosing instead to elevate an inferior career employee. Now they are correcting that.

None of this is really disputed in the industry. TLG just doesn't like it because it makes his friend look like something other than a top race announcer. Unfortunately, TLG's friend is, indeed, not a top race announcer.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2022, 12:56 PM   #300
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
That guy is the worst around here for having to have the last word. Another 10-20 pages of this stuff seems likely.
It's an incredible burden to be right all the time.