Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-10-2021, 02:25 PM   #196
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
So what happens if the 2nd test comes back negative after Pimlico already banned him from running in the Preakness before we have a verified positive?

Do he and the owner of Medina Spirit have some ability to sue anyone?

What about Concert Tour?

Can those owners switch to another trainer this week?
They are letting him run.

But to be clear, a racetrack has the right to refuse anyone's business. Fairness is not an issue.

Indeed, one reason our sport is exploited by the cheaters is because we allow people to compete while their appeals are pending. It would not have been the end of the world if MS had not run and his split later came back legal. The track would have been protecting the betting public.

What we have now- a horse running Saturday on national TV who may be juiced- is far worse for the sport.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2021, 02:34 PM   #197
The_Turf_Monster

If Pimlico isn’t going to care about the integrity of its betting product, I’m not going to put a dollar on a race there Saturday
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2021, 02:36 PM   #198
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Too much effort is expended on "why would he do this?" and "it doesn't make sense". Those are modes of analysis that apply when someone with a clean record gets into trouble.

But we already know Baffert cheats. So why the search for the innocent explanation? He's the trainer, it's in the horse's system, he's responsible, period.

Totally agree. The other 18 horses can back clean. Medina Spirit failed the drug test. Period, end of story. And given Baffert's long history of drug violations and dead horses, I don't see how anyone can defend him.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #199
Suff
Beat up 💪

Urination. I'd like to urinate on a historical Horse racing slot machine.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2021, 02:58 PM   #200
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Thanks, Andy. It's always good to go back, years ago, to this two part series. Even reading the 2014 statement from CHRB's Rick Arthur, "There's something wrong here."

Truer words never spoken. The exact same words spoken by Baffert this morning. ......Some things never change and this is the sport's biggest problem. It is heartbreaking!!!

Hope you, gentlemen, and your families are all doing well!! Take good care.

g
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2021, 03:29 PM   #201
thaskalos

Baffert is out there telling the world that in horse racing..."the drug testing is too precise". And this after all the negative publicity that this sport has gotten because of the widespread illegal drug use in the game. The man has clearly lost his mind, IMO.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:33 PM   #202
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
Thanks, Andy. It's always good to go back, years ago, to this two part series. Even reading the 2014 statement from CHRB's Rick Arthur, "There's something wrong here."

Truer words never spoken. The exact same words spoken by Baffert this morning. ......Some things never change and this is the sport's biggest problem. It is heartbreaking!!!

Hope you, gentlemen, and your families are all doing well!! Take good care.

g
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2021, 03:37 PM   #203
JHK

Two things about this.

One, why did TVG report the substance as "banned" when it is not banned?

Two, this news prompted me to read my copy of "Dirt Road To The Derby," Baffert's autobiography published in 1999. Here he writes about his first drug controversy in racing:

“The following year (1975), after school was out, I returned to Los Alamitos with a friend, Jim Maple, and we had about five horses between us. My brother Bill also was there. I galloped the horses for Jim, who was a top trainer at Rillito Downs. Although they were his horses, I had a trainer's license at Los Alamitos, so they raced in my name. 1 wound up claiming a horse myself for two thousand dollars and was going to run him back. I couldn't win a race there, and wanted to win so badly before the meet ended. Four days before the end of the meet, I ran this horse, and a guy told me if he gave the horse some stuff the horse would win. I didn't know what it was and I barely knew the guy. At the time, I was sort of like a guinea pig, and he gave it to the horse. None of my horses ever got tested because they always ran so far back. So he gave this stuff to my horse, who still ended up losing, but they tested him on a spot check.

Now the meet's over and everybody has packed up and left. Maple's gone. Bill's gone. I'm waiting for my dad to come and get me when I get a call to go to the stable gate. They tell me I need to call the California Horse Racing Board. I call them and they tell me the horse I ran has tested positive for a pain killer. Well, it was like my guts had fallen out. I was so mad at myself. 1 kept thinking, "How stupid can I be?''

My dad shows up and I tell him the bad news. He was the list*ed owner of the horse, and he goes, "Bob, what's wrong with you?" But he felt bad for me; he knew I felt horrible. One thing about my dad, whenever 1 got in a bad spot, he'd never get on my case. He'd always say, "Don't worry, we'll deal with it." We drive up to Hollywood Park and my dad is trying to think of a story for me. We go before these investigators, and I do the usual deal "I don't know what happened," and this and that. Afterward, they say, "We'll get back to you."

After going back home, I got a letter from the racing board say*ing 1 never showed up for my hearing. They had wanted me to go up to Sacramento because the meet was over. They told me if I came back in January, six months later, they'd give me a hearing. My dad typed out a story for me to tell — It was the last night of the meet, and a lot of horses were shipping out, and I noticed that there were a lot of suspicious characters hanging around the barn. With so many horses leaving at once, the security was kind of lax. This was my story. So I fly to Los Angeles, then on to Sacramento, with my typed up story. My sister Penny lived up there, and her husband, whom we called Happy, was going to law school at the time.

It was the first time I had ever been on a commercial plane. I get off in L.A., where I had an hour layover, and I don't know that they take the luggage from one plane to the other for you. I go downstairs to get my luggage and check it back in, and it never shows up. I start to panic. My whole goddamn story is in that bag. I finally go report it and give them all the information and tell them how important this bag is. Meanwhile, I can't leave L.A. without the bag. They ask me where I'm staying, and I tell them I'm supposed to be flying on to Sacramento. That's when they tell me it's already on the plane. Man, did I feel like a damn moron. What did I know? I grew up in Nogales.

So I fly up to Sacramento and I tell Happy about the fix I'm in, and I explain to him about the Absolute Insurer Rule, which states that trainers are responsible for any drug positives in their barn. And I show him my story. He takes everything upstairs and reads it for about an hour. At the time in L.A., the police were hunting for the Hillside Strangler and it was on the news every night. The next morning at breakfast, I ask Happy what he thinks. He says, "I read everything and I think I can get you off." I just lit up when he told me that. "Yeah, I think I found a loophole in this Insurer Rule," he says. "Just go in there and confess that you're the Hillside Strangler and they'll let you off on this."

Then he says, "I read your story, and, buddy, you don't have a prayer. Your only shot is to say that there was this Mexican guy who vent by the name of 'El Groovo.' And instead of wearing those straps across his chest that held the bullets, he had syringes in there instead. Just tell them El Groovo got to your horse."

Penny got real mad at him for building up my hopes, and kidding around about it. The next day, she took me to the state capital and they told me what I did was very serious, but I seemed like a nice kid. So they suspended me for a year, and made it retroactive. I had already done six months, and I really didn't care. I had been going to school and was*n't training anyway. I just wanted to get all this over with. I asked them if I could at least go to the races, as long as I kept off the backside, and they had no problem with that.

I continued to train horses on the ranch, and my dad still had a few horses in training. We had this barn at the track, and whenev*er we'd haul a horse to the track, my dad would hide me in the trail*er when we came to the gate. After we got to the barn, I'd get out and get the horse ready, and stay in the barn. After we cooled the horse out, I'd get back in the trailer and leave. That's the way it went for the next six months.

While I had been at Los Alamitos with Jim Maple, I met Brad McKenzie. He was living in Cypress, California, and going to college while he was working as a groom for Barry Woodhouse. He was sta*bled right across from us. That was the beginning of a long friendship and some real wild times.”
JHK is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2021, 03:46 PM   #204
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHK View Post
Two things about this.

One, why did TVG report the substance as "banned" when it is not banned?
By Kentucky rule since August, no level of the drug is allowed in the system on race day, thus it is banned.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #205
JHK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
By Kentucky rule since August, no level of the drug is allowed in the system on race day, thus it is banned.

Different places are reporting different things. Some say 10 picograms is still allowed, others say zero.

Last edited by JHK; 05-10-2021 at 03:54 PM.
JHK is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2021, 04:20 PM   #206
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHK View Post
Different places are reporting different things. Some say 10 picograms is still allowed, others say zero.
I think zero is correct, some just didn't know it was changed.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2021, 05:04 PM   #207
classhandicapper

Not sure if this has already been posted, but this is well worth the read.

https://inthemoneypodcast.com/some-t...betamethasone/
Old 05-10-2021, 05:26 PM   #208
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I think zero is correct, some just didn't know it was changed.
That's my understanding also.

I just read that it takes about 7 days after use on a joint to become undetectable in the bloodstream. They are not supposed to use it within 14 days of a race. So the chance of it being in the bloodstream at 14 days is probably miniscule.

However, it will remain in the joint/body and give benefit for longer.

So whatever "hair" test he's doing would probably still show a positive now (but don't hold me to that).

Passions and hot takes aside, the one thing that would really upset me is if he's using some kind of illegal performance enhancer that can't be detected but sometimes produces a false positive for this drug. That's the Navarro/Servis scenario but with a different drug. If that's the case, I wonder why it didn't work so well with Maximum Security. Could he be such an evil genius that he purposely ran Maximum Security clean so he would decline a little and it would make him look clean?

If this is a case where he or someone that works for him administered this drug and he miscalculated the withdrawal, then he'll deserve a significant fine and suspension just so people stop operating in that grey area, but I don't think using a legal therapeutic somewhat carelessly should blow up the industry the way it is now.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:47 PM   #209
JustRalph
Just another Facist

now they say a groom pissed on the hay the horse ate?
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2021, 05:55 PM   #210
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
now they say a groom pissed on the hay the horse ate?
One thing about all these excuses- they certainly imply that the split is going to be positive. Why would Baffert float these things if he thought the second test would be legal?
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply