Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-09-2020, 10:00 AM   #16
groupie doll

They've canceled a lot of seminars, conferences etc. pertaining to my job as well... my employer now has a policy that any meetings, lectures or workshops with invites to more than 100 people be canceled.
I'm going to Canada next month to visit family and I anticipate it might take longer than usual to get back across the border. Such is life. Just plan ahead...
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2020, 05:29 PM   #17
dilanesp

The NCAA tournament is going to go on without fans.

Unless this thing is under control within the next month, there's no way that Churchill can host a normal Kentucky Derby. Same goes for the Preakness and Belmont too. They are going to need to do at least the same thing the NCAA is doing.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2020, 05:57 PM   #18
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Because per the CDC flu kills 1 in 1000 and coronavirus kills 1 in 33? I mean, this might be done in a month but pretty sure we don't want 35 million to get this like got the flu in 2018-19. Sorry to bring reason into this---back to wherever you get your news.
I don't buy that for a minute
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2020, 06:12 PM   #19
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
I don't buy that for a minute
Dr. Afleet, where do you get your information? World Health Organization says 118,000 with corona and 4300 dead. That's a 3.6% death rate. But if you think it's all a joke, please go over to Italy and help out my relatives over there. Things are seriously f'd up. Thanks.

Fact is, we're relying on numbers from China and our own government, both of which are as likely to play down the risk as of play it up. It might just all fizzle out like nothing, but none of us knows.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2020, 06:38 PM   #20
thaskalos

Chicago to Las Vegas...you can book a room from 3/14 to 3/19 at the Bellagio for $240 a person, and that includes airfare. And this during March Madness. There is panic everywhere.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:11 PM   #21
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Chicago to Las Vegas...you can book a room from 3/14 to 3/19 at the Bellagio for $240 a person, and that includes airfare. And this during March Madness. There is panic everywhere.
Las Vegas is a petri dish. Handling all those chips and cards and slot machine buttons after other people, crowded into close confinement at card tables and in sports books and nightclubs and lounges.

No thanks.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2020, 10:34 PM   #22
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Dr. Afleet, where do you get your information? World Health Organization says 118,000 with corona and 4300 dead. That's a 3.6% death rate. But if you think it's all a joke, please go over to Italy and help out my relatives over there. Things are seriously f'd up. Thanks.

Fact is, we're relying on numbers from China and our own government, both of which are as likely to play down the risk as of play it up. It might just all fizzle out like nothing, but none of us knows.
Right now, no numbers are beyond suspect at best.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:37 PM   #23
classhandicapper

NBA season suspended while they figure out what to do next. Rudy Gobert tested positive.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:00 PM   #24
cnollfan

4 year old Kentucky Derby

You'll laugh, but here's my idea:

The Triple Crown without live fans isn't a thing. An empty Churchill Downs for the Derby? An empty Belmont with a possible Triple Crown on the line? Doesn't work for me.

I think they should postpone this year's Derby, Preakness and Belmont until 2021. So that this year's crop doesn't get shortchanged, for one time and one time only they could run a shadow Triple Crown on the preceding weekends for 4 year olds, e.g. 4 year old Derby on April 24, 2021, 4 year old Preakness on May 8, 2021, 4 year old Belmont on May 29, 2021.

It would make for a festive week at all three locales and give horse racing fans (and owners) something to look forward to in this otherwise gloomy environment.
cnollfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2020, 11:09 PM   #25
CaptainObvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnollfan View Post
You'll laugh, but here's my idea:

The Triple Crown without live fans isn't a thing. An empty Churchill Downs for the Derby? An empty Belmont with a possible Triple Crown on the line? Doesn't work for me.

I think they should postpone this year's Derby, Preakness and Belmont until 2021. So that this year's crop doesn't get shortchanged, for one time and one time only they could run a shadow Triple Crown on the preceding weekends for 4 year olds, e.g. 4 year old Derby on April 24, 2021, 4 year old Preakness on May 8, 2021, 4 year old Belmont on May 29, 2021.

It would make for a festive week at all three locales and give horse racing fans (and owners) something to look forward to in this otherwise gloomy environment.
Hell, we’d all be better off if the races were for 4yo every year.
CaptainObvious is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2020, 11:20 PM   #26
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

How about we just suspend the TC until they come with a viable plan to protect the bettors - they did such a great job last year!~

I could live if there was never another TC.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:33 PM   #27
Bigadam119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
How about we just suspend the TC until they come with a viable plan to protect the bettors - they did such a great job last year!~

I could live if there was never another TC.
Would racing live without the triple crown?
Bigadam119 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2020, 11:53 PM   #28
PaceMasterT

Well, since i am going to assume that the average age of the avid horseplayer and slot machine gun slinger is above 50 years old, I'm going to predict that coronavirus is going to have a huge effect on this industry. On top of the FBI indictments, this may be something that makes a huge change to this "sport".
PaceMasterT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2020, 12:02 AM   #29
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceMasterT View Post
Well, since i am going to assume that the average age of the avid horseplayer and slot machine gun slinger is above 50 years old, I'm going to predict that coronavirus is going to have a huge effect on this industry. On top of the FBI indictments, this may be something that makes a huge change to this "sport".
You're one of those that likes to usually just show your face around here during TC season, right?

A little early this year, aren't you?
Old 03-12-2020, 12:15 AM   #30
PaceMasterT

Yep. But, used to be a die hard horse racing fan. Grew up in the shadows of Grand Island and Fonner Park and know what an honest horseman looks like and acts like. And, the last one I know passed away from a heart attack a few years ago. All of you trying to stand up for this industry is pathetic. I've seen the posts on here. All of you aren't blind. We know what is happening but we gladly participated along with it. Are you an addict? If not, quit betting one single dime. Drop this industry to its knees. Two "named brand" trainers out of the multitude that are guilty. EVERYTHING NEEDS TO CHANGE!!!!!!.
PaceMasterT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: