Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-05-2020, 11:23 AM   #31
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest View Post
Out of curiosity how much do agents get paid?
25% or 30%. Saez pays 30.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2020, 11:47 AM   #32
BrentT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest View Post
Out of curiosity how much do agents get paid?
More times than not 30%......
BrentT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2020, 12:35 PM   #33
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
He is battling MS and probably the rigors of being a trainer is starting to take its toll
Now that makes sense.
Maybe the trainer life just isn't any fun anymore?

People sometimes evaluate their lives and decide things need to be changed. I don't have a bucket list of thing to do, but I have a F-it List of things I am NEVER going to do again.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #34
Secondbest

Thanks TLG and Brent
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2020, 03:14 AM   #35
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
He is battling MS and probably the rigors of being a trainer is starting to take its toll
Yes. With MS, depending on the type, it does tend to be progressive, as of course, does age.

You sometimes have to choose from the practical options AVAILABLE to you. And they aren't always the most lucrative either.

Stuff you can't do anymore gets erased from the blackboard as an option.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2020, 09:18 AM   #36
rubicon55

Saw this today:

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/p...training-game/
rubicon55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2020, 09:55 AM   #37
TMQ
Longacres transplant

It's been a sad week for New York racing. Lost 2 of the more accomplished and respected trainers in New York in my opinion. I have a feeling they won't be the last ones to call it quits either.
TMQ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2020, 03:46 PM   #38
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Really sorry to hear this. Pretty shocking.

Gary Contessa had those great years in 2006, 2007 & 2008, and kind of fell off a cliff after that. Only one graded stakes win since, 2018 G1 Spinaway Stakes with Sippican Harbor, a 2yrold filly. Raced once after that, the 2018 BC Juvenile Fillies, finishing sixth. She came out of the race with a left-front ankle injury and never raced again.

He needed more "big" wins. One in 11 years is not enough.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2020, 10:44 PM   #39
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Not if you can’t win.

Or you’re about to be hammered for something

Watch the news......
I didn’t know anything about the coming news......so far this guy is in the clear? Right?
Old 03-11-2020, 11:08 PM   #40
PaceMasterT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
So wait...McLaughlin is being fined for underpayment?

Where's the Chad-like UPROAR on here about this? How come nobody is writing post after post about what a dickhead Kiaran is? I guess nobody cares anymore about underpaid track workers...or they just have hard-ons for Chad Brown?

Interesting...
I'll opine on this issue. Where the expenses to owners are 2x the purse money generated in the sport, it is no wonder it is doomed. Even the top of the industry have to try to cut cost any way they can. Basic economics dictates this. The whole looking to slot machines to bail out this industry led us down this dark path. Horse racing, other than the sport of kings, is dead. The economics don't add up. Now that all other forms of gambling are pretty much legal from the comfort of your computer keyboard, this industry is dead as it was the only way to get your "gambling fix" when you couldn't be in Vegas in the past. Those laws and boundaries don't exist anymore. This sport needs to consolidate from a state run, state regulated industry to a nationwide sport. Fewer horses, fewer horseman, fewer everything. Adapt or die.
PaceMasterT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2020, 11:30 AM   #41
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceMasterT View Post
I'll opine on this issue. Where the expenses to owners are 2x the purse money generated in the sport, it is no wonder it is doomed. Even the top of the industry have to try to cut cost any way they can. Basic economics dictates this. The whole looking to slot machines to bail out this industry led us down this dark path. Horse racing, other than the sport of kings, is dead. The economics don't add up. Now that all other forms of gambling are pretty much legal from the comfort of your computer keyboard, this industry is dead as it was the only way to get your "gambling fix" when you couldn't be in Vegas in the past. Those laws and boundaries don't exist anymore. This sport needs to consolidate from a state run, state regulated industry to a nationwide sport. Fewer horses, fewer horseman, fewer everything. Adapt or die.
Purse money doesn't come out of thin air. The game is already being supported largely by other sources of gaming at most tracks. Expenses are out of control as much as anything. Every time purses go up, feed, meds, day rates, they all seem to go up.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply