Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 02:07 AM   #691
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Look in the mirror friend and actually practice what you preach.

Certainly NOT everyone is free to believe as they wish...you keep telling those here who ARE free to believe as they wish that they are basically stupid dumb-asses and that YOU are the clear-thinking person in the discussion.

YOU are being as BIG a pest as you accuse THEM of being! You are trying to convert THEM as much as they are trying to convert YOU (and in fact, nobody here is actively trying to convert you...not even Boxcar).

In fact, you are as bad as those you rail against.
Ok, I done being, as you say, bad (again)....I'm turning over a new leaf...this time I hope it sticks...Religion makes me unhappy, and when I talk about it, I seem to make everyone else unhappy as well...so pardon me if I bow out of the great debate that has been raging away for a few thousand years...I'll leave God to the Godly to explore His ways from now on....
Old 03-27-2017, 02:23 AM   #692
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Pilgrims and Puritans ...
Pilgrims and Puritans are not the same thing. The Puritans never left England.
Quote:
... enslaved Africans? Really?
Slavery in America started in Massachusetts with the enslavement of native Americans. Massachusetts was also the first state to abolish slavery. The native Americans did not make good slaves primarily because it was easy for them to run into the interior where, being familiar with the territory, they had an advantage in eluding pursuit. Many native American slaves were shipped to Bermuda and traded for Africans.

Slavery was practiced mainly by the Massachusetts Bay Company. Whether the Pilgrims at Plymouth practiced it I do not know.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:36 AM   #693
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Ok, I done being, as you say, bad (again)....I'm turning over a new leaf...this time I hope it sticks...Religion makes me unhappy, and when I talk about it, I seem to make everyone else unhappy as well...so pardon me if I bow out of the great debate that has been raging away for a few thousand years...I'll leave God to the Godly to explore His ways from now on....
There are people in this debate who don't believe in God every bit as much as you, and I've never had a problem with them, so don't think I'm singling you out just because you are a non-believer...that couldn't be further from the truth.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:52 AM   #694
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
There are people in this debate who don't believe in God every bit as much as you, and I've never had a problem with them, so don't think I'm singling you out just because you are a non-believer...that couldn't be further from the truth.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #695
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

The sound of silence would be your own doing. You're the one writing you're going to drop out of this thread...nobody is telling you to.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #696
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
The sound of silence would be your own doing. You're the one writing you're going to drop out of this thread...nobody is telling you to.
Agreed...beside I dislike the canard "We agreed to disagree"
So we are in agreement then...? And all is forgiven, and hopefully forgot?
Old 03-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #697
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Pilgrims and Puritans are not the same thing. The Puritans never left England.
Rewriting American history, are you?

http://www.reference.com/history/did...e0a313b5b221f5

Quote:
Slavery in America started in Massachusetts with the enslavement of native Americans. Massachusetts was also the first state to abolish slavery. The native Americans did not make good slaves primarily because it was easy for them to run into the interior where, being familiar with the territory, they had an advantage in eluding pursuit. Many native American slaves were shipped to Bermuda and traded for Africans.

Slavery was practiced mainly by the Massachusetts Bay Company. Whether the Pilgrims at Plymouth practiced it I do not know.
Yeah...and who sold the Indians to the Europeans? I would remind you, Mr. Actor, that slave trading runs neck and neck to what is reputed to be the oldest profession in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.orgwikiSlavery_..._United_States
Old 03-28-2017, 12:06 AM   #698
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Rewriting American history, are you?
Just using a different source than you. My source is what I remember from high school.

Read your own link.

Quote:
Yeah...and who sold the Indians to the Europeans?
No one sold the Indians to the Europeans. The there was a war between the Massachusetts Bay Company and the Pequots. I don't know which side started it but the Pequots lost and were enslaved.

That's all I have to say about that except that. The subject does not interest me that much.
Quote:
Broken link.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:23 AM   #699
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Just using a different source than you. My source is what I remember from high school.

Read your own link.

No one sold the Indians to the Europeans. The there was a war between the Massachusetts Bay Company and the Pequots. I don't know which side started it but the Pequots lost and were enslaved.

That's all I have to say about that except that. The subject does not interest me that much.
Broken link.
Yeah, someone did sell the Indians to Europeans just like someone sold blacks to Europeans! Get up to speed on true history.

Anyhow...as stated previously, slave-trading is right up there in age with the "oldest profession". It was very common for people to sell their enemies to other peoples. This practice had a dual advantage to the sellers: The sellers simultaneously get rid of their enemies while making a profit off of them. The first account of this in the bible is recorded in Genesis when Joseph was sold into his slavery by own brothers because they hated him and were jealous of him. No doubt slavery and slave-trading existed long before Abraham existed.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:34 AM   #700
LottaKash

Thumbs down

Quote:
Yeah, someone did sell the Indians to Europeans just like someone sold blacks to Europeans! Get up to speed on true history.

Anyhow...as stated previously, slave-trading is right up there in age with the "oldest profession". It was very common for people to sell their enemies to other peoples. This practice had a dual advantage to the sellers: The sellers simultaneously get rid of their enemies while making a profit off of them. The first account of this in the bible is recorded in Genesis when Joseph was sold into his slavery by own brothers because they hated him and were jealous of him. No doubt slavery and slave-trading existed long before Abraham existed.
Oh, it's in the Bible, well then, how can "that" be true ??

I jest of course, but there are so many people who would apologize for "us" the "the slavers"...

My bottom line tho, on this subject is;, SLAVERY, along with the INSANITY of WAR are utter Abominations to me, and I never understood them at all...
Old 03-28-2017, 10:00 AM   #701
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaKash View Post
Oh, it's in the Bible, well then, how can "that" be true ??

I jest of course, but there are so many people who would apologize for "us" the "the slavers"...

My bottom line tho, on this subject is;, SLAVERY, along with the INSANITY of WAR are utter Abominations to me, and I never understood them at all...
You would understand them better if you understood what the bible teaches about human nature.

By the way...I have never sold or bought any slaves in my lifetime...but of course, I can't speak for my ancient ancestors.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:50 AM   #702
Greyfox

I was a slave to a bank for most of my adult life. Fact.
The chains were invisible, but they were there.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:25 AM   #703
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I was a slave to a bank for most of my adult life. Fact.
The chains were invisible, but they were there.
Absolutely! And not only that...but to this day, there is still slave-trading going on in the world. Plus, there are most definitely different forms of slavery in the world, as you have just pointed out. Take the welfare state in this country. And liberals badly want to add to the numbers to this welfare state, which is why they're always "championing" for the underclass to enter this country legally or otherwise. The idea is to perpetuate the underclass by getting them on the welfare state plantation, thereby having a perpetual constituency. Slavery in this 21st century, in its various forms, is alive, well and thriving.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:06 PM   #704
dnlgfnk

I was a slave to speed figures in my early handicapping days.

Box, Feser has started an open thread which looks promising.

I'm getting the ignore from Roger, et.al. I stated something about Actor's own opinion being worthless, in the sense that Alex Rosenberg (The Atheist's Guide to Reality: Enjoying Life Without Illusions considers all beliefs illusory, except his own of course, i.e., writing a book. I can see where my comment could have been taken as personal, though.

If I manage to be scarce here, don't forget my money. Hope to be at Ebro...

http://www.goebro.com/

...in July.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #705
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
I was a slave to speed figures in my early handicapping days.

Box, Feser has started an open thread which looks promising.

I'm getting the ignore from Roger, et.al. I stated something about Actor's own opinion being worthless, in the sense that Alex Rosenberg (The Atheist's Guide to Reality: Enjoying Life Without Illusions considers all beliefs illusory, except his own of course, i.e., writing a book. I can see where my comment could have been taken as personal, though.

If I manage to be scarce here, don't forget my money. Hope to be at Ebro...

http://www.goebro.com/

...in July.
And that would make Rosenberg's philosophy of illusion self-defeating, since his philosophy is an illusion, as well. And the beat goes on...How the world so loves it lies...

Don't be scarce.

What is Feser's "open thread" about?

And by the way, I was enslaved to coffee once. Used to drink at least 6 cups before noon time. Now, I'm down to 5..