Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #76
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
You could have... I took way worse around these parts.

Since then, with all the stuff I said way back... I kinda feel like a prophet.
Yeah, I don't know about that last part...me thinks you toot your own horn way too much and things don't always end up as you predict.

Someone needs to go back over your soothsaying with a fine tooth comb.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #77
Clocker

Yesterday, Peter Navarro, the mad scientist behind Trump's tariffs, announced that he was not interested in taking over Garry Cohn's job. Apparently in response to Navarro's statement, stocks spiked to session highs

Today it was reported that Navarro is running a stealth campaign for the job, and stocks took a hit.

Quote:
It turns out that he is after all, and a report from Axios claiming that Navarro is running a stealthy campaign to fill Cohn's old job had the opposite effect, helping spook stocks.

According to Axios, "publicly, Navarro has been coy, telling Bloomberg TV he's not in the running for the job. But privately, the hardcore trade adviser is all in for the job" which in turn has "terrified" D.C.As reported yesterday, stocks spiked in the middle of the day when BBG first reported that Navarro had no "Cohn" career intentions.

"Sources familiar with Navarro's thinking" told Axios there are too many people inside the White House who oppose the president's agenda - especially on trade, and the president would like to remedy this.

Cohn reportedly tried to undercut Navarro at every turn, telling colleagues that Navarro "had no idea what he was doing, no grasp of economics, and constantly "lied to the president."
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-job-after-all
Old 03-08-2018, 03:55 PM   #78
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Yesterday, Peter Navarro, the mad scientist behind Trump's tariffs, announced that he was not interested in taking over Garry Cohn's job. Apparently in response to Navarro's statement, stocks spiked to session highs

Today it was reported that Navarro is running a stealth campaign for the job, and stocks took a hit.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-job-after-all
On my screen the S&P is a good 10 points or so higher than the close of yesterday....I guess "the word" has changed again...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #79
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
On my screen the S&P is a good 10 points or so higher than the close of yesterday....I guess "the word" has changed again...
The article was written today at 1PM Eastern. The Word changes often these days. It's fun to see how little it takes to change it.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:21 PM   #80
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Yeah, I don't know about that last part...me thinks you toot your own horn way too much and things don't always end up as you predict.

Someone needs to go back over your soothsaying with a fine tooth comb.
Feel free...

I was "Mr. Never Right" remember?
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2018, 07:59 PM   #81
classhandicapper

Elon Musk has more or less taken the same position I have. He's against tariffs in a general sense but in favor of using them now to try to pressure countries that are not trading with us in a fair manner into leveling an unfair playing field.

Free trade has been an abomination for the US. We don't even have free and fair trade. We are getting screwed. The solution cannot be more of the same. That's the definition of insanity.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/03/...p-tariffs.html
Old 03-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #82
reckless
Veteran

Dow Jones up 94 today and approaching 25,000.

Three straight days on how Trump's tariffs will derail the economy and the Trump bull market.

All the networks, even Fox Business, reported how Trump's mistaken trade policy and steel tariffs are bad, bad, bad... and how it will destroy the economy.

Some jerk even mentioned W. Bush and his tariffs -- anyone on TV that mentions W. in an serious discussion is a nitwit. But then, all the Trump haters in the GOP advisor world are Bushies -- and nitwits.

Add to this is the Cohn quitting non-issue and how Trump's White House is in shambles.

YET despite all the experts denouncing Trump and his steel tariffs, the Dow Jones was up 94 today, kissing up to 25,000, which this market will run right through it, especially after the Jobs Report coming out.

Gary Cohn ...?? Who was that dilettante again?
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #83
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

All this jiberish about the Dow tanking was nonsense coming from pure desperation on the part of dems who have nothing of substance anymore. The lowest under Trump is how much higher than the highest under 0bama?
Old 03-08-2018, 08:31 PM   #84
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
Dow Jones up 94 today and approaching 25,000.

Three straight days on how Trump's tariffs will derail the economy and the Trump bull market.

All the networks, even Fox Business, reported how Trump's mistaken trade policy and steel tariffs are bad, bad, bad... and how it will destroy the economy.

Some jerk even mentioned W. Bush and his tariffs -- anyone on TV that mentions W. in an serious discussion is a nitwit. But then, all the Trump haters in the GOP advisor world are Bushies -- and nitwits.

Add to this is the Cohn quitting non-issue and how Trump's White House is in shambles.

YET despite all the experts denouncing Trump and his steel tariffs, the Dow Jones was up 94 today, kissing up to 25,000, which this market will run right through it, especially after the Jobs Report coming out.

Gary Cohn ...?? Who was that dilettante again?
Who here said the Dow would tank?
Old 03-08-2018, 08:47 PM   #85
Clocker

Quote:
Let's not spoil a good rant with facts.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:34 PM   #86
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Let's not spoil a good rant with facts.
A week ago it was across the board. Then it was exemptions for our leading importers. Now it's them as well as allies that apply for exemption.

So I have this vice of drinking Monster energy drinks. I drink one or two a day and that's the only form of caffeine I get. If I put a ban on all caffeine in my house but gave Monster Energy an exemption... did I really do anything?

A Trump supporter would say yes...
Old 03-08-2018, 09:43 PM   #87
Clocker

Quote:
A week ago it was across the board. Then it was exemptions for our leading importers. Now it's them as well as allies that apply for exemption.

So I have this vice of drinking Monster energy drinks. I drink one or two a day and that's the only form of caffeine I get. If I put a ban on all caffeine in my house but gave Monster Energy an exemption... did I really do anything?

A Trump supporter would say yes...
There you go with that reality thing again. This is show business, baby, image is everything.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:48 PM   #88
mrhorseplayer

could we (USA) use the exemption to get other countries to lower our tariffs?
mrhorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2018, 10:58 PM   #89
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
I know of 2-3 times people on PA have said as much.

You need to get out of the hate reality closet more often and venture into other rooms on PA.

You just might learn a thing or two but then again you might not considering all that time you spend convincing yourself that you actually contribute something useful around here.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2018, 11:09 PM   #90
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
I know of 2-3 times people on PA have said as much.

You need to get out of the hate reality closet more often and venture into other rooms on PA.

You just might learn a thing or two but then again you might not considering all that time you spend convincing yourself that you actually contribute something useful around here.
If we put a tariff on steel imports but then give an exemption to our largest importers did we really do anything? Yes or no?

Was this really about #MAGA or giving lip service to a campaign promise?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: